Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
May be I am not using the right lingo. The hardware is there (ODB2). There are already ton of OBD2 readers that can work with WiFI too. If I was a third party making this, I would make a replacement light for the front and back with LEDs that can talk to R1 through ODB2 and use all that Juicy data. I would let user control the behavior (which piece of info to use and how to display) through an App on the phone. If R1 ODB2 data is not capable of passing through WiFi connection, I would make my physical connector WiFi/Bluetooth capable. Of course they have to sell enough R1s that makes the project worth it.
The issue isn't the network. The issue is we don't know if the LEDs are addressable. If the LEDs aren't individually addressable, then everything else is moot.
Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The issue isn't the network. The issue is we don't know if the LEDs are addressable. If the LEDs aren't individually addressable, then everything else is moot.
If they are not addressable what I described should work (replacing the bars with a custom addressable one).

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
It is a missed opportunity to communicate information (SOC, rate of charge, inside temp, …). Front and back should be programmable by owner. You should be able to download it like ring tone and make your own too.

let's get some out the door first. lol

Reactions: Max

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
it can do this however…
Since it can do that, as well as pulse in green like the charging video shows, the LEDs are addressable to some degree. Whether it a a full grid, or columns, or blocks, or if/how it is exposed programmatically vs. hardcoded, remains to be seen. One would certainly hope it is not hardcoded.

Sponsored

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
The Tail lights do an animation when it locks. So I am pretty sure they are addressable. They would not be part of the obd2. They could be on a CAN bus. But they probably have their own microcontrollers driving them. There are only a handful of different addressable RGB LEDs out there so it’s probably quite hackable.

pcrampton

First Name
Perrine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Occupation
Manager
If the lights can't be changed... No one will be able to 'sneak' away from anywhere with a Rivian! :)

Those lights will give away your location every time.

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
Does anyone know if you can check the charge percentage on your phone using the Rivian app while your vehicle is charging?

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I hope we can turn that ugly/annoying charging light off completely.
If not I'm going to have some very annoyed neighbors.

EDIT: Just got this from CS -

"The light does not stay on the whole time while charging! You can use the Center Display to turn off sequence lighting. This will disable the charge indication lighting on the front and tail of the R1T or R1S. "

Last edited:

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Does anyone know if you can check the charge percentage on your phone using the Rivian app while your vehicle is charging?
It's not a percentage but a total. You can check the total mileage available at that moment. So while you charge, this mileage will go up.

Rivian R1T R1S Video: R1T charging with LED light bar cycling Screenshot_20220103-112228_Rivian

sheldenwhobrey

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s
Wow, these bulbs are looking badass. I think they should design this kind of bulb for electro cars. I like how they are designing these charging stations. I want to make a similar charging station outside of my house. It seems like they are using the kind of explosion proof lighting lamps for this charging station. Please let me know if someone knows the bulb model they are using. I will really appreciate it. Also, if you got a good place where I can buy them, it would be wonderful, because I was trying to find similar ones and didn't succeed, maybe I'm just bad at google searches.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Wow, these bulbs are looking badass. I think they should design this kind of bulb for electro cars. I like how they are designing these charging stations. I want to make a similar charging station outside of my house. It seems like they are using the kind of explosion proof lighting lamps for this charging station. Please let me know if someone knows the bulb model they are using. I will really appreciate it. Also, if you got a good place where I can buy them, it would be wonderful, because I was trying to find similar ones and didn't succeed, maybe I'm just bad at google searches.
Neopixels. Dotstars. Those are the two adafruit branded versions. addressable RGB LED strip is what you want to look for. Amazon sells them superbrightLEDs.com has them. If you want me to dig out the part numbers of the LEDs that they use to make these strips I probably can. But you probably want a pre-made strip.
Sponsored