Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
yeah. cool but a bit dull too. hope they add more variations with OTA updates.
It is a missed opportunity to communicate information (SOC, rate of charge, inside temp, …). Front and back should be programmable by owner. You should be able to download it like ring tone and make your own too.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
fingers crossed for a progress bar
it would have to use addressable LEDs for that to be possible. Perhaps they do? But I am not aware of any confirmation of such hardware. Without the hardware to support it, no software update will be able to add the functionality.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
it would have to use addressable LEDs for that to be possible. Perhaps they do? But I am not aware of any confirmation of such hardware. Without the hardware to support it, no software update will be able to add the functionality.
if they are addressable we could hack it to play videos at 720x5 ? ?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Even if hardware is not there. If they make some sort of API available (lock, unlock, SOC, ….), after market can go nuts ? with it.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
It is a missed opportunity to communicate information (SOC, rate of charge, inside temp, …). Front and back should be programmable by owner. You should be able to download it like ring tone and make your own too.
I hope I am wrong, but some of these "cool" features may be only available through subscription.

GR

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Even if hardware is not there. If they make some sort of API available (lock, unlock, SOC, ….), after market can go nuts ? with it.
No, if the hardware is not there then an API won't help (and won't exist).

An API is just a software "contract" that exposes functionality.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
No, if the hardware is not there then an API won't help (and won't exist).

An API is just a software "contract" that exposes functionality.
May be I am not using the right lingo. The hardware is there (ODB2). There are already ton of OBD2 readers that can work with WiFI too. If I was a third party making this, I would make a replacement light for the front and back with LEDs that can talk to R1 through ODB2 and use all that Juicy data. I would let user control the behavior (which piece of info to use and how to display) through an App on the phone. If R1 ODB2 data is not capable of passing through WiFi connection, I would make my physical connector WiFi/Bluetooth capable. Of course they have to sell enough R1s that makes the project worth it.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

There are laws/rules that Rivian has to abide by. So IMHO, customization (if allowed) would most likely be limited by those laws/rules.
It would be great to allow things while parked, but while driving would be a whole different story.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
There are laws/rules that Rivian has to abide by. So IMHO, customization (if allowed) would most likely be limited by those laws/rules.
It would be great to allow things while parked, but while driving would be a whole different story.
Of course but there is still a lot of room to play:

Sponsored