Sponsored

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

My observations in addition to the above: (Full disclosure: I may have missed some of these updates from prior posts)
1. Steering Wheel isn't round! (thank God!)
2. RIVIAN is clearly written on back tailgate (I thought this was not going to be as prominent but I think it is a good move)
3. Regarding the single speakers in the door. Perhaps this is the base stereo model and not the premium option for which we get to pay up?
4. Reiterating the comment about measuring panel gaps (I have to believe this is on purpose to raise a finger at another EV company out there with constant panel gap problems)
5. Love the yellow painted caliper covers
6. Can anyone with knowledge analyze the suspension we can see? As expected?
7. Seats look amazing from what I can see.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I hope it is just the videoā€™s focus point, but the paint looks dead and somewhat flat to me in many of the shots. There are a couple of angles with high gloss, but in a lot of the panning closeups the paint seems to lack any depth. Does anyone else see this? Iā€™m hoping the final product has too-notch paint given the price point, but understand itā€™s a difficult process.
Keep in mind that at this stage of pilot line production, they may perhaps be more concerned with assembly procedures and work flow along with part fitment and alignment and may not waste time or money on finish until later on. That might also explain the white mirror caps and black door handles which almost certainly wouldn't be production spec.

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
A few of the quick things I noticed:
4) Still no ā€sun visorā€ over the instrument cluster. Makes me worried about glare and sun reflection
7) Significant redesign of the lower rear end of the truck. No more full silver skid plate. No tow hooks. Larger reflectors. Etc.
I worry about the sun visor thing as well. My Subaru screen becomes unreadable in full sunlight. Was hoping for a visor or some kind of slant which would reduce glare.

I did confirm via email with Rivian that there would be tow hooks font and back. So they must have them hidden in some way.

Given the built-in armoring of the battery pack, maybe they redesigned the skid plate to be built-in as well?

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
I hope it is just the videoā€™s focus point, but the paint looks dead and somewhat flat to me in many of the shots. There are a couple of angles with high gloss, but in a lot of the panning closeups the paint seems to lack any depth. Does anyone else see this? Iā€™m hoping the final product has too-notch paint given the price point, but understand itā€™s a difficult process.
I like the more muted look of that paint. It's good to have options.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Chocolate Color on a vehicle has always been dicey and wouldn't be something I would be interested in but would blend well in the outdoors for camping enthusiasts. Might also look better in better light. Will be interesting to see what the PR people name it so it sounds attractive. Seats look much improved which was a real problem for me before. Thank you I am somewhat relieved though would like to see more and of course sit in them first though the last of which may not be possible. They are significantly bolstered almost like a sports sedan or something - pretty cool. Wheels for factory offerings are looking pretty darn good too. Pretty exciting. Have not been a fan of any of Tesla's offerings on that front so advantage Rivian.

I saw the change in the rear underside earlier and thought it looked much better before. Oh well on that item. Have never been a fan of the wood trim on the dash as shown so if it can go away or be improved some how I will like it better. Looks like a metallic trim to me around the edge of the dash.
All in all a nice treat to see this progress. I can't help but wonder what Elon and Co. are thinking right now ? I am guessing some managers are getting a little stressed about now seeing that they will definitely not be first to market if there was any doubt and might be even further behind than we have thought. Kind of makes me a little giddy. Keep up the good work Rivian we are loving it so far.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That might also explain the white mirror caps and black door handles which almost certainly wouldn't be production spec.
I bet the white on the mirrors could be protective plastic. Even if it's just unpainted, I agree with your assessment (although, are most raw plastics darker in color?).

However, I think the black door handles could be intentional & possibly packaged with the black dash trim.

Might also look better in better light.
My thought as well. Definitely looks metallic to me, and better or outdoor lighting should make a huge difference.

ColoradoRivian

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE
Keep in mind that at this stage of pilot line production, they may perhaps be more concerned with assembly procedures and work flow along with part fitment and alignment and may not waste time or money on finish until later on. That might also explain the white mirror caps and black door handles which almost certainly wouldn't be production spec.
Great points. As was noted earlier, the front brake calipers are huge glossy yellow things that could have been lifted from a high spec 911. The rears appear twice in the video unfinished. I wonder if this will change. The rear calipers are tiny so might look a bit odd in splashy yellow, but adding giant rear calipers solely for appearance would be silly as well. Are rear brakes barely stressed in EVs? Even when towing 11,000 pounds?

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Also notice only a five lug bolt pattern on the wheels. It must be more similar in weight to a Tacoma than an F-150.
Not necessarily - the wheels on my full size 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie also have five lug bolts.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Great points. As was noted earlier, the front brake calipers are huge glossy yellow things that could have been lifted from a high spec 911. The rears appear twice in the video unfinished. I wonder if this will change. The rear calipers are tiny so might look a bit odd in splashy yellow, but adding giant rear calipers solely for appearance would be silly as well. Are rear brakes barely stressed in EVs? Even when towing 11,000 pounds?
It appears to me that only the brake pad holders were installed on the rears and the (yellow) calipers would be installed at a later time.

weathermission

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.weathermission.com
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge
At 00:11, you can see the dashboard clearly and it still looks like wood, but stained a dark color. So I think it's still a wood option but one that we haven't seen before.
there's also four steering wheel fobs there, haven't noticed that before?

Sponsored

StevieD

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM Longhorn, Cancelled R1T Reservation
Occupation
Retired - Living the Dream!

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Here is my take on the Video:

First Notable Scene: Infotainment Dash seems its a very dark wood grain or un-textured. Often time test cars (maybe used for crash testing) are less spec with bare bones to save a few $$ on crash tests. One of these cars could be destined for IIS/NHTSA.
Rivian R1T R1S Video: Preproduction R1T Begin Rolling Off The Line! 1599852168138

Air Ride System looks Milled CNC and very high quality. I believe that is a self contained tank/reservoir for air above the CV boot. Looks like a work of Art.
Rivian R1T R1S Video: Preproduction R1T Begin Rolling Off The Line! 1599852422385

Motors have MEANS II on it, just noticed, not sure exactly of a source but pretty neat. Also Stainless Steel Lines (Again Overkill but amazing).
Rivian R1T R1S Video: Preproduction R1T Begin Rolling Off The Line! 1599852668548

There was a comment about 1 speaker, again could be a crash vehicle or tweeters could be hidden somewhere else, but in either case that is 1 HUGE speaker. Note Color of Side Mirror.
Rivian R1T R1S Video: Preproduction R1T Begin Rolling Off The Line! 1599852780520

Note the Beautiful LED Headlights.
Rivian R1T R1S Video: Preproduction R1T Begin Rolling Off The Line! 1599852899453

Last note back to the start of the Video: Brake System looks like Drop in Inserts (Typically made by Brembo).

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Preproduction R1T Begin Rolling Off The Line! 1599853195252

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
So looks like the drive, park, reverse will be like the Model S, and I would guess tilt telescope controls as the other with two turn stalks.

The rear doors also didn't have an upper speaker as see before with the other models. Maybe just need to add it later.

Again the bases of the seats are a gloss material, and the dash non-wood.

Looks cool and would imagine a tow hitch cap will cover things up and tie the rear end together. It's hard to tell but the doors still look dark as opposed to light as in previous versions.

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Preproduction R1T Begin Rolling Off The Line! 0911201450_HDR

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Preproduction R1T Begin Rolling Off The Line! 0911201452a_HDR

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Preproduction R1T Begin Rolling Off The Line! 0911201454a_HDR

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Canā€™t wait! The brown looks fantastic, might even get me to switch from blue. Love the interior color scheme. Only thing I wish was the R1T and R1S had was a heads up display, but at least Rivian does a gauge cluster in front of you.
Sponsored