Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Lane departure warning is not what I would refer to as driver assistance personally. There are orange lights that will illuminate in the side mirrors like most cars for blind spot detection. This does not require anything to be "engaged" using the stalk, like both levels of driver+ do.

the ping pongy effect is the lane centering steering assistance that is part of the second level I described. It's limited to highways at launch, but it clearly works on any road with clear markings. Hopefully, it's not "ping pongy".

I believe the protocall is tap down once on the right stalk for radar cruise, and double tap for full highway assist/lane centering.
I sure hope the more advanced “Driver+” isn’t ping-pongy. If Hyundai and BMW can get non-ping-pongy lane centering in their baseline offerings surely Rivian can get solid lane-centering in their more advanced, branded ADAS system.
Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I sure hope the more advanced “Driver+” isn’t ping-pongy. If Hyundai and BMW can get non-ping-pongy lane centering in their baseline offerings surely Rivian can get solid lane-centering in their more advanced, branded ADAS system.
Well, both are those are branded too. Hyundai is called Highway Assist (comes standard) and BMW is something like Driving Assistant Pro (which you have to pay extra for). Some BMW models only have a Driving Assistant option that is less feature rich.

However, those will be the same in five years as the day you bought them. Rivian's will not.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Well, both are those are branded too. Hyundai is called Highway Assist (comes standard) and BMW is something like Driving Assistant Pro (which you have to pay extra for). Some BMW models only have a Driving Assistant option that is less feature rich.

However, those will be the same in five years as the day you bought them. Rivian's will not.
I used the non-Highway Assist Hyundai lane centering in a basic rental car and was thoroughly impressed. It did not ping-pong at all. It couldn’t take tight curves, but gradual curves were no problem. This was in a car with no adaptive cruise.

And the BMW has actually gotten OTA updates which added ADAS features. The traffic light recognition was added last summer, for example. Unfortunately it’s behind a paywall, but I’m sure Rivian will do the same.

I’d be happy if the baseline functionality in the R1 was equal to what the X5 provides today without a subscription, but until they add non-gated steering assist and lane changing it’s not quite there. The question then becomes “when will they add it” and “how much will it cost?”

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Lol. I don't know anything about autonomous driving technology, but this basic of an error would lead me to believe that Rivian is quite far away from mastering it.
it wasn't really an error per se, if you look at the top of the video, the semi in front of the R1T was making a lane change into the right lane as the other semi was passing so it was actually correct, its just the visual representation overlapped slightly. however, it could also be an indication the system needs to improve, which im sure it will.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I used the non-Highway Assist Hyundai lane centering in a basic rental car and was thoroughly impressed. It did not ping-pong at all. It couldn’t take tight curves, but gradual curves were no problem. This was in a car with no adaptive cruise.

And the BMW has actually gotten OTA updates which added ADAS features. The traffic light recognition was added last summer, for example. Unfortunately it’s behind a paywall, but I’m sure Rivian will do the same.

I’d be happy if the baseline functionality in the R1 was equal to what the X5 provides today without a subscription, but until they add non-gated steering assist and lane changing it’s not quite there. The question then becomes “when will they add it” and “how much will it cost?”
A lot of people consider Hyundai/Kia/Genesis to have the best ADAS system in the industry, even rivaling Tesla. At least in terms of how smooth it handles lane centering and speed modulation.

The lane change thing I personally think is a gimmick, as it doesn't forgo any real effort when you're at highway speeds and the vehicle will naturally veer into another lane without any input at all. But I see how it's fun to show off.

I wasn't aware that BMW introduced traffic light recognition. My Audi is pretty good, it auto changes speed based on signs, and even better slows you down for curves and even right angle turns if you're using NAV. However, it was supposed to have traffic light V2G tech that would know when lights were going to change and give you indications before it actually happened. It only works in select cities though.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
The lane change thing I personally think is a gimmick, as it doesn't forgo any real effort when you're at highway speeds and the vehicle will naturally veer into another lane without any input at all. But I see how it's fun to show off.
The real advantage is you don’t have to disengage driver assist to change lanes. Judging from the video that prompted this thread it looks like you may have to disengage Driver+ to change lanes, or maybe the driver did that just to be cautious.

Last edited:

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Yeah looks very similar to what Tesla is doing, the quality however looks somewhat lacking.

I bet it's an excellent system, but is it an Autopilot or Super Cruise, probably not. I thought it was geomapped and locked like Super Cruise though?

Better question, is the driving AI Rivian's tech, or is it sourced from one of Amazon's partners (Zoox/Plus)?

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Key word above is "basically" same way that your Subaru (I have one too) will basically do the same thing as a Land Rover.
Subaru is a camera only system which requires hands on the wheel at all times and will nudge you back in the lane when you begin to cross the line in a ping pong fashion also the steering torque is insufficient to turn the wheel in anything other than a gentle nudge not enough to negotiate moderately sharp bends in the road. There are other notable differences but we get the point.

Subaru's trash - tier eyesight system ??

cmugler

First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV, Sprinter Bambi conversion
Occupation
retrired
on my 2022 subaru outback one can drive handsfree by putting about a 2 pound section of an ankle weight on the flat part of the steering wheel (just left of the horn button)which tricks the system into thinking you have your hands on the wheel.
Sponsored