First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, R1S
Occupation
Education
So this is basically adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist exactly like my 2020 Subaru. In other words, absolutely nothing special.
ACC and lane keep assist are not all created equal. My Honda kinda sucks at the lane keeping. With Autopilot I had full confidence to take my eyes off the road on the highway (even though they say not to.) Driver+ will probably be better than Highway Autopilot. It’s not claimed to be the same system as FSD, and FSD has been a nightmare rollout. I’ll take Driver+ allowing handsfree and suck it up to keep my eyes on the road.
Sponsored

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I like 0:44 when there was a crash and suddenly overlapping semi trucks.
Lol. I don't know anything about autonomous driving technology, but this basic of an error would lead me to believe that Rivian is quite far away from mastering it.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Seems like they have a long way to go. This doesn't seem that different than adaptive cruise control technology that has been around for years...

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Lol. I don't know anything about autonomous driving technology, but this basic of an error would lead me to believe that Rivian is quite far away from mastering it.
I don't know anything about bomb defusion, but in my opinion I think you should cut that red thingy right there. :D

I love it when people undercut their own credibility and then still throw shade.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I don't know anything about bomb defusion, but in my opinion I think you should cut that red thingy right there. :D

I love it when people undercut their own credibility and then still throw shade.
Well I have no credibility when it comes to this...so nothing to undercut...
And that is why I'm seeking other's opinion here. Kind of the whole point of open forum, no?

Sponsored

eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

His efficiency curve looks pretty high like a downhill sectiom but you did the math correct using 135 as the multiplier.
Near the end of the video he's at 2.82 average kWh. I think the downhill hypothesis makes sense. Also, given that he's been cruising around 35-48mph (I think that was the highest speed he hit), maintaining that distance using electronics instead of feet jumping between gas/brake pedal, this is probably the most efficient driving achievable. Not to mention the aerodynamic benefit of following in the tow of that semi for the last 1/3 of the video.

I can't wait to have my own to micromanage the mileage on :)

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Definitely nothing special, which makes me wonder why it's gated behind certain highways. Other brands are able to achieve this and more without such limitations. First-hand experience with BMW, for example, has fantastic adaptive cruise with lane-centering auto-steering, changes lanes automatically (with a signal input from the driver), and will recognize speed limits and traffic lights and adapt accordingly. Also has me curious how well (or poorly) the "non-Driver+" adaptive cruise/lane keep functions.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Definitely nothing special, which makes me wonder why it's gated behind certain highways. Other brands are able to achieve this and more without such limitations. First-hand experience with BMW, for example, has fantastic adaptive cruise with lane-centering auto-steering, changes lanes automatically (with a signal input from the driver), and will recognize speed limits and traffic lights and adapt accordingly. Also has me curious how well (or poorly) the "non-Driver+" adaptive cruise/lane keep functions.
The function is definitely not limited to highways, though it may be software locked that way to start. There is a video of them using it at Agua Dulce on the runway with a local newsman (customer drives only got to experience regular cruise control). So, like a lot of it, it should grow over time.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Thanks for sharing the video. I'm also optimistic that this vehicle platform will evolve over time.

Off topic, but I do like those rounded corners on the UI. What a modern touch!

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Does the R1T have adaptive cruise control outside of Driver+? Or is it just Driver+?

They do have a normal cruise control option, right...?

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Math and I don't get along, but...

The display shows that he's averaging 2.77 miles per kWh, over the last 15 miles. With a 135 kWh battery pack, that would indicate an effective range of more than 370 miles, right?

I guess he could have been going downhill a bunch, but that still seems like a lot more than EPA estimates.
our outback is rated at around 30 mpg and that is what we get at highway speed but at his speeds, we get around 45 mpg.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Does the R1T have adaptive cruise control outside of Driver+? Or is it just Driver+?

They do have a normal cruise control option, right...?
They do. That's what's confusing about it, because if this is Driver+ the assumption is that non-Driver+ would be even more limited.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
They do. That's what's confusing about it, because if this is Driver+ the assumption is that non-Driver+ would be even more limited.
I may get the nomenclature wrong, but there are essentially two levels of driver assistance:

1. Radar cruise control without steering assistance. This is what they let people demo at Agua Dulce.
2. Highway Assist that folds in steering assistance. They have made statements this will be limited to certain Highways at launch, but a Rivian rep let a local newsperson test it at Agua Dule on the runway.

What is being shown in this video is the full Driver+ with Highway Assist (blue steering wheel indicating steering assistance).

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I may get the nomenclature wrong, but there are essentially two levels of driver assistance:

1. Radar cruise control without steering assistance. This is what they let people demo at Agua Dulce.
2. Highway Assist that folds in steering assistance. They have made statements this will be limited to certain Highways at launch, but a Rivian rep let a local newsperson test it at Agua Dule on the runway.

What is being shown in this video is the full Driver+ with Highway Assist (blue steering wheel indicating steering assistance).
Does this mean option 1 has lane departure warning, "ping-pongy" lane-keep assist, or full-blown lane-centering? I tend to equate steering assist with the latter but they might be two different things.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Does this mean option 1 has lane departure warning, "ping-pongy" lane-keep assist, or full-blown lane-centering? I tend to equate steering assist with the latter but they might be two different things.
Lane departure warning is not what I would refer to as driver assistance personally. There are orange lights that will illuminate in the side mirrors like most cars for blind spot detection. This does not require anything to be "engaged" using the stalk, like both levels of driver+ do.

the ping pongy effect is the lane centering steering assistance that is part of the second level I described. It's limited to highways at launch, but it clearly works on any road with clear markings. Hopefully, it's not "ping pongy".

I believe the protocall is tap down once on the right stalk for radar cruise, and double tap for full highway assist/lane centering.
Sponsored