First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Further along is relative.
Lucid will have 6 service centers to cover the US
Rivian has announced 41 in 2021 and job postings support this.

Rivian is also faced with testing not only the road manners, but off-road capabilities of their vehicles which adds a great degree of complexity. I personally like the extensive testing.

RJ is a bit of a showman and I get the feeling they are saving up for a big event of some type. No photos of any vehicle with Lauch Green is one indication. This will likely be in conjunction with test drives/regional reveals for pre-order holders.
Last fall, there were a lot of people complaining about the lack of info, and I said a few times that very few auto makers have publicized all the details of a new launch so many months in advance. I said it again through December, and again in January.

Now we are four months out. I'm starting to change my story.

If you're correct, and they are planning a big launch of info, providing the date for that would be something. There is no way they have a big event planned and they don't have a timeline for it.
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Yet somehow Rivian still has more pre-orders than they can deliver any time soon. And they will start deliveries well before any of their competitors so defection due to lack of communication is unlikely. Frankly,. I think Rivian is on more solid footing with its customers and with its financial backers than Lucid is. Lucid is still trying to iron out their next wave of financing so of course they need to generate hype. Perhaps as Rivian gets closer to a real IPO they too will generate more hype. However, their strategy seems to be to generate that hype based on the delivery of vehicles and the natural media attention that will bring.
I unfortunately agree with Electruck that Rivian is pleased with response (# of orders) without added press releases. It could be as simple as they don't believe the benefit outweighs the risk/ cost or releasing more info. It is less pressure to under promise & over deliver if you have promised nothing.
That being said... I've got the Rivian fever, c'mon public event's, troves of info, and test drives!

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
Does anyone know how many preorders lucid has?
No one other than RIVIAN knows the number. But it’s interesting that someone could place a LE order in Nov 2020 and get delivery within 13 months. So the number may not be as high as people thought. If you figure in the first year they will deliver under 10,000-15,000 Vehicles maybe after cancellations they had 20-30,000 orders. Still impressive for a new Company.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian had six public events scheduled for 2020: Miami, NYC, LA, Boulder, Chicago, Detroit. They had to cancel all of those events based on the pandemic, but its disappointing they never came up with other ideas how to show their vehicles.

They also never had any pre-order holder communication strategy. You just got the RJ letter and some concept art and never really heard from Rivian again.

The lack of marketing, communication, and engagement may end up hurting them in the end. By the time they release the details of these vehicles, I feel like I will have other options for electric trucks/SUVs that I would be stupid not to consider. The lack of communication also makes me wonder how much communication I would get when it comes to servicing the vehicle.

I ultimately wonder how big Rivian's window is. Will they sell some vehicles for a few years, cash out with an IPO, and get pushed out of the truck space by Ford and GM? I don't want to be stuck with a DeLorean where the vehicle outlasts the company.

Hopefully Rivian checks in on these forums every once and a while and comes out of stealth mode soon.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Rhidian those are some valid points. I would think at a minimum Ford or someone else would acquire the company so we wouldn't be complete bastard children. Also this is why I like the Amazon partnership to deliver 100K vans over a period of time even though i'm not thrilled that they are using up some production capacity.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
The video is really cool. I was one of the very early Lucid Air reservation holder and canceled it after knowing the price is $160k+ and the cheaper version is available only in 2022.

Hope Rivian can ramp up their communications, announce their showroom locations and start test drive soon.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
The video is really cool. I was one of the very early Lucid Air reservation holder and canceled it after knowing the price is $160k+ and the cheaper version is available only in 2022.

Hope Rivian can ramp up their communications, announce their showroom locations and start test drive soon.
I can't blame you. The lucid air exudes more of a Honda Accord price than a Maserati price. It should be more on par with the new model S in price.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
If you're correct, and they are planning a big launch of info, providing the date for that would be something. There is no way they have a big event planned and they don't have a timeline for it.
Let's not forget that we're in the middle of a pandemic, so there is probably just a crapton of uncertainty around any sort of event anywhere. Even a 6-8 week outlook seems like it could go in any direction depending on how case counts are changing.

That being said, a steady stream of info via videos and social media posts, or emails directly to pre-order holders, would be a welcome alternative to keep us informed. They're just not doing enough of it right now.
Sponsored