First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I don't see a curve "above" but as a synchronous motor (and this is probably not a synchronous reluctance motor but rather an Internal Permanent Magnet Synchronous motor) is synchronous the usual torque vs speed curve is flat with the toque depending on the rotor lag angle (and this easily controlled even though the torque vs lag angle curve is sinusoidal). As to the efficiency - there is no copper in the rotor (with added resistance for higher starting torque). There is no field reversal in the rotor. Two sources of loss removed relative to the IM motor.

With respect to the taxonomy, here's a chart. All these machines develop some reluctance torque and an IPMSM develops quite a bit because the reluctance of the material in the magnet itself is about the same as air resulting in different inductance in the d and q directions. Note that the chart shows the PMASM and IPMSM to be effectively the same thing with the distinction being whether the majority of the torque is magnetic or reluctance. As reluctance torque is coggy I am guessing that these motors will be more IPMSM than PMASR and that's why I said that above but, of course, I could be wrong.

Rivian R1T R1S Video: NO OTHER Car Has These 5 Features ...Except for RIVIAN! MotorTaxnI
Sponsored