Sponsored

Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
Nothing we didn't already know but it's a good reminder of the unique features Rivian brings to the table.

Sponsored

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Speaking of tank turn, that video is the first I've heard (or paid attention to the fact) that it may be geo-fenced. While I'll have close to zero legitimate use for tank turn, hopefully I'll still be able to have some teenage fun in a snowy parking lot at some point.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Speaking of tank turn, that video is the first I've heard (or paid attention to the fact) that it may be geo-fenced.
Same here. And if I understood what RJ said regarding geo-fencing, the vehicle would determine if you're on a "specific" trail implying (?) the tank turn function would not be available if not on a geo-fenced detected trail? So unless your beckoning, snowy covered "parking lot" is within a geo-fenced area (implying it's near a "specific" trail) *and* the parking lot surface is considered low friction, you might just have to settle for some good ole fashion doughnuts.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
So just wheel spin and torque? Wonder if the rear wheels will have any turning articulation capability like Quadrasteer?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Wonder if the rear wheels will have any turning articulation capability like Quadrasteer?
Not that we've seen in any existing pictures. Really don't think it would be worth the cost/complexity.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
On tank turn, he starts by saying "because some of the rivian trucks will have four motors ... ". Won't all of them be on 4 motors?? Or is that something Rivian will option out for the higher trims?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
On tank turn, he starts by saying "because some of the rivian trucks will have four motors ... ". Won't all of them be on 4 motors?? Or is that something Rivian will option out for the higher trims?
Yes, all of the versions will have 4 motors. Although, it is vaguely possible that they could make a version in the future with less than 4 motors.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I think the geo fencing comment was put in to keep the tree hugers from getting their knickers in a knot. Tank turns are great for demonstrating that you have independent bi direction torque control on each of the four motors but other than that serve no useful purpose that I can see and are potentially damaging to substrate, tires and other vehicle components. I therefore have doubts as to whether they will make it available to the typical owner.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I think the geo fencing comment was put in to keep the tree hugers from getting their knickers in a knot. Tank turns are great for demonstrating that you have independent bi direction torque control on each of the four motors but other than that serve no useful purpose that I can see and are potentially damaging to substrate, tires and other vehicle components. I therefore have doubts as to whether they will make it available to the typical owner.
Are you saying you don’t think tank turn will be available to consumers? Just a show of capabilities ?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
That's my guess but it's only a guess. Or they might make it available if you agree to waive certain warranty rights or to absolve them of responsibility for damage to the vehicle or property if you use it. Or they might have a big button labeled "Tank Turn" right in the middle of the steering wheel.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I think it would be a huge mistake to advertise tank turn and then not support its use.... and while I'm not a huge fan of geofencing we have to have rules because someone will always abuse a privilege.... I could see some idiot pulling a tank turn on a public street and causing an accident because the other driver "didn't know the truck could turn like that!" Rivian would get sued because "they have over 5 billion dollars......" However, preventing me from using the advertised feature on my private property might get them sued for another reason..... I'm sure it will all be spelled out in the purchase agreement...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I believe the vehicle will be smart enough to test traction prior to allowing the tank turn feature. It should only work on suitable surfaces, and probably not allow it on anything marked as a road in maps/GPS.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
He may have been speaking of the Amazon vehicles or future consumer products. Most of the Amazon vehicles will not have 4 motors.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
So here in Washington state there is a road that we use to ski tour near Snoqualmie pass. The road is snowed in until late spring and is one of the few easy access roads . In June there can be up to 50 cars on this road that abuts a cliff on one side and a wall on the other . Just being able to do a slow controlled 180 degree turn can save backing up for half a mile. I would be really disappointed if I got up there in my new Rivian and its not charted on their map or I am not allowed to use that feature. Just a simple very low speed 180 slow enough that I wouldn't be spraying rocks on other cars /bystanders and a button in the menu that allows left or right and the degrees that you want.
Sponsored