First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
yes... and thrown together rather hastily I believe they stated in order to take advantage of the opportunity
Looks like it. Still, they added a charging network... anyway, this video was the last drop to convince my wife to get the R1S.
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

so long as what's under that hood ain't a chevy crate motor! :CWL:

OP
OP
RforRivian

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I think the "charging network" outline that they show at 1:43 in the video is somewhat miss leading. To get the truck from Columbia to Panama they had to take a boat. The line connecting the last charge point in Columbia and the first one in Panama goes straight through the Darien Gap. That stretch of land is very dangerous and has no roads. Showing those two points connected makes it seem like you can just stroll right through...

Here's a really good video explaining more about the gap if anyone is interested.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Anyone else catch the fact that they "built out a charging network" to do this trip?
Yes, stood out to me too.

Wonder what kind of charging set up it was (charging capacity etc.)?
I recall seeing pics of the trucks along the way & noticed they were using Level 2 Juicebox chargers in multiple locations.

My guess is that it was primarily Level 2 charging, and looks like they deployed Juicebox as their EVSE.

Setting up the charging network on the South and Central American trip will be good experience for setting up the Rivian Adventure Network in N. America. You gotta love this company.
Rivian Adventure Network will be DCFC, most or all of the Long Way Up "charging network" appeared to be Level 2.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It will be interesting to see the charging challenges/solutions for both the Harley's and and Rivian's.
The LiveWire will DCFC (@20 kW), but while it will take 240v L2, it charges at L1 speed (1.4 kW).

Wonder what they built for a charging network?

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
looked like air suspension supplemented by standard strut shock? is that standard element?

addl strut.png
That should not be needed. Wonder if they had a component failure & improvised that solution.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charging grid left behind was level 2 40A chargers about every 100 miles.
Here's a couple pics from a couple different locations.

Rivian R1T R1S Video Feature: Long Way Up -- R1T's 13k mile all-electric journey from Patagonia to LA Capture+_2020-08-04-22-04-27~2
Rivian R1T R1S Video Feature: Long Way Up -- R1T's 13k mile all-electric journey from Patagonia to LA Capture+_2020-08-04-22-06-03~2

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I noticed that too. Also, where was the frunk? There’s a shot of the guys doing work under the hood - where the frunk should be.
I know from all the pics that were taken during the expedition there were also some gasoline/diesel chase trucks. If memory serves me, they had some Sprinters which that isn't a picture of and some Ford Super Dutys. Can anyone help me out with that?

***Update***
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/ewan-and-charleys-new-long-way-up-series-going-electric/

Rivian R1T R1S Video Feature: Long Way Up -- R1T's 13k mile all-electric journey from Patagonia to LA 1596627318745

It very well could've been the Super Duty. Can anyone confirm what under the hood of a Super Duty looks like?

Last edited:

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Anyone else catch the fact that they "built out a charging network" to do this trip?

1596579351583.png
RJ told me about this in Seattle, but wouldn't let me tell anyone about it!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I know from all the pics that were taken during the expedition there were also some gasoline/diesel chase trucks. If memory serves me, they had some Sprinters which that isn't a picture of and some Ford Super Duties. Can anyone help me out with that?

***Update***
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/ewan-and-charleys-new-long-way-up-series-going-electric/

1596627318745.png

It very well could've been the Super Duty. Can anyone confirm what under the hood of a Super Duty looks like?
Looks like one

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You'll see when the show drops, but the Harley's can charge directly from the Rivians as well...
Nothing secret there, we already know the trucks have the outlets.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
That video gives me trepidation more than stoke. Multiple shots of the car in a garage with wrenches and chipped up paint with shocks as well as the driver talking about getting bounced around on washboard roads. My Range Rover floats like a cloud over washboard roads. I know its a prototype but I damn sure don't want to see videos of a new truck getting worked on. Hopefully there will be some independent test drive reviews of production units before we have to commit to ordering
Sponsored