Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Maybe I’ve watched too much Long Way Up.
Brought this home last night
D837313C-BF3C-47AA-B1BF-F64C46348D19.jpeg

It’s gonna look good with the R1T and I guess will be able to charge from it too!
0 to 60 in 3 seconds is awesome, can’t wait to do it in the Rivian
That's exactly what Harley was hoping would happen!

Awesome bike, congrats!
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
That's exactly what Harley was hoping would happen!

Awesome bike, congrats!
Rivian is prob losing on some of this hype since they dont have the configurator ready.

MarkB

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 1500HD
I'm really enjoying the series to this point. I did make notice that both the motorcycles and the Rivian's had all ran out of juice within the first 250 miles....but I suppose it was definitely a learning experience and they did get better. One thing for sure is the cold really hits those batteries hard!!!

The Rivian's are getting tons of air time and are even spotlighted/highlighted at times! I sure hope they get the configurator out before the series ends so they can capture some of the hype!!!

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Anyone want to talk about the rock/on the road repairs in episode six? Pretty involved and good that they had Rivian engineers/mechanics following along their route. Engine compartment/no frunk shows how custom these units really were.

Sponsored

zmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None

iliadz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Occupation
Engineer
I drove a Yamaha Super Tenere from North Carolina to Guatemala 4 years ago. Amazing journey. We still plan on doing Guatemala to Patagonia and were this close to doing so 3 years ago but job changed and so did that plan. Hadn't thought about doing this in an electric vehicle but now it's got me thinking :)

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Has anyone noticed the amount of times the bikes were charged from a diesel generator? I understood in the beginning of the show with how bare the countries were but in episode 8 in Ecuador they use one again in a busy city. I thought they were using their built network or finding a source before they’d even consider using diesel.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Has anyone noticed the amount of times the bikes were charged from a diesel generator? I understood in the beginning of the show with how bare the countries were but in episode 8 in Ecuador they use one again in a busy city. I thought they were using their built network or finding a source before they’d even consider using diesel.
Yeah, additionally they seem to ‘tow charge’ the Rivians quite a bit. Seems weird given the prebuilt charging network.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
They talked a lot about scheduling difficulties. It seems like they have certain appointments to keep, and while they had a charging infrastructure, it seems to me like it was a case of being in the wrong place at the end of the day in order to keep the schedule.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The charging network was L2, and likely nor more than ~7kW (and maybe less)
It could easily be 15 hours or more for a full charge, and they were often not placed at overnight stops.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
It could easily be 15 hours or more for a full charge, and they were often not placed at overnight stops.
Also, the producers didn't seem done a good job planning out their charging, especially early in the trip.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Also, the producers didn't seem done a good job planning out their charging, especially early in the trip.
They underestimated either how cold it was going to be and the effects that has on range, or the reliability of electric service in such a desolate location.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I dont really begrudge them the generator. The trip was ambitious at best, the LiveWires were preproduction in a big way and the Rivians, preproduction is an understatement.

The production team doesn't want to focus on charging challenges too much and I don't blame them. It adds to compelling television but sitting around for days on an L2 or even L1 is not exactly exciting either. They made it clear the challenges early in the series and moved on.

I am mildly disappointed that the generators were used so often but also amazed at what they have done on this journey.

I start watching Long Way Around and watching KTM pull out for fear they wouldn't make it reminded me how refreshing it is to see Rivian and Harley taking this risk and standing by their products. Add the fact that the feedback from the Rebelle drivers was not "subject to approval" by Rivian made my day.