Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Seems they are wrong when saying Level 2 is limited to 16 miles per hour added range?

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I think they are on point but there might be some mis-information to which I blame Rivian for not revealing. In short the charging limitation of the Rivian Adventure Network is 150kw or 140miles in 20 minutes.

It does not mean the car can accept more/faster rate. I think they are only advertising what they can control.

If the car can't take more than 150kw as its peak 100% I would be really disapointed unless they have some sort of crazy ass charging curve.

Last edited:

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Read the Tesla model Y info on Tesla’s site. They also use the 150 kWh as their stated charging despite being capable of faster. It would be nice for these folks to point that out.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y

Seems they are wrong when saying Level 2 is limited to 16 miles per hour added range?
They are wrong. The R1T/R1S come with an 11kW onboard charger. At an estimated energy consumption of 425 Wh/mi, this equates to 25.9 miles of range added per hour of charging. This, of course, requires a 60amp breaker hard wired to 48amp charger to get 11kW.

16 miles of range per hour would be a consumption of 688Wh/mi which is absurd.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I think they are on point but there might be some mis-information to which I blame Rivian for not revealing. In short the charging limitation of the Rivian Adventure Network is 150kw or 140miles in 20 minutes.

It does not mean the car can accept more/faster rate. I think they are only advertising what they can control.

If the car can't take more than 150kw as its peak 100% I would be really disapointed unless they have some sort of crazy ass charging curve.
The car can take, according to Rivian website, charging rates up to 160kW.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The car can take, according to Rivian website, charging rates up to 160kW.
Where does it show that?

Ive only seen references to RAN charging rates and at that nothing specific.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
They've stated peak at 300kW, sustained at 200kW, and then "140miles in 20 minutes". To @kanundrum 's point, this is something they should be able to clear up, but it's the real world tests using the RAN sites that will really provide the info we're looking for.

For level 2, my guess is if the person who made that Youtube video had spent more time on Rivian's site and less time making that thumbnail, they could have done a better job,. The site is pretty specific that level 2 will support 25 miles of charge per hour.

The cable that comes with the truck is rated at 16 miles of charge per hour.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

They also tols us ab electrochromatic roof and a power tailagte ??. Ill assume everything is wrong until its an actual spec on their site. 160kw unless it's sustained for 90% of the time will be useless on a battery that's 135kwh.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

All of that data is on Rivian's website...16 miles of range per hour for the portable charger that comes with the vehicles and 25 miles of range per hour for the home charger that you can buy as an accessory...This ISN'T new information. It is just information that no one seems to get right...
Rivian R1T R1S Video discusses Rivian's Prime Charging: RAN (Rivian Adventure Network) with some ABRP options 1614088026224

www.rivian.com/r1t

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
A few thought assumptions on the RAN, My understanding is that they will be very limited to remote outdoor recreation type locations for the near future (2-3 years). This would place them in the destination charger category (50-150kw), so one can charge for several hours while hiking, climbing, spelunking or whatever. This makes them of little or no use for in-route charging. I really don't get the impression Rivian intends to fill out a Tesla style supercharger network possibly ever. If this is true I am less concerned with the power throughput of RAN and more concerned with what the onboard BMS will allow from 3rd party CD fast chargers.
I think it would be a huge misstep to design any BEV truck/ SUV with less than 250KW DC charging considering current technologies.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
They also tols us ab electrochromatic roof and a power tailagte ??. Ill assume everything is wrong until its an actual spec on their site. 160kw unless it's sustained for 90% of the time will be useless on a battery that's 135kwh.
That is a good point about specifications being fluid during the development of the vehicle. What was valid when they published it, may be different when they build it.

Also, my experience is that the published maximum kW is not ever achievable over an period of time due to the charging curve. For example, here is some data on the supercharging of 3 my Teslas (all rated at 150 kW):

P90DL: 120 supercharges at an average rate of 53.5 kW and average time of 31 min
100D: 42 supercharges at an average rate of 63.1 kW and average time of 30 min
P100DL: 174 supercharges at an average rate of 68.9 kW and average time of 36 min

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
160kw unless it's sustained for 90% of the time will be useless on a battery that's 135kwh.
A tip for those that haven't supercharged (DC Fast Charged), the goal is not to fully charge the battery when on a road trip. You want to add just enough energy to get to the next charger on your route so that you arrive at each charger with about 20-25% State of Charge (SOC). This gives you the "sweet spot" to maximize kW. Charging speed slows as the battery fills, so adding extra energy at the top half of the battery adds time to your trip. Use L2 chargers overnight to top off the battery.
Rivian R1T R1S Video discusses Rivian's Prime Charging: RAN (Rivian Adventure Network) with some ABRP options power-vs-state-of-charge-chart_750

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Correct. Peak VS Sustained is also different. If the 160kW charging rate (Allegedly) can be sustained for a longer period of time lets say from 10% to 70% vs 10% to 40% I would argue that is more beneficial than having a Higher kW peak rate as it would trickle down in general.

All I am saying is the 140 miles in 20 minutes suggests 160KW sustained rates (or a total curve of what ever that rate is) potentially so it would be nice to know the Peak Rates.

I don't know if that is good enough for my use case of road tripping 700 miles a day how ever I would think since I am stopping at least every 2 hours for a break the 140 miles with a average of 70mph would not be bad at all. Granted I wouldn't be charging to 95% every single time but if it can fast charge as fast as a taycan it would be killer when it comes to usability.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I am stopping at least every 2 hours for a break the 140 miles with a average of 70mph would not be bad at all
Pretty sure that by 140 miles in 20 minutes Rivian does not mean 140 miles of range at 70 mph. It will probably be 140 EPA miles at best possible charging conditions.

I don't count on more than 110-120 interstate miles charge in 20 minutes.
Sponsored