Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Does anyone know how messages and phone calls will work with an iPhone? I understand there’s no Apple Carplay, but when it sends a message or makes a phone call, will that occur through my iPhone or through a separate account?
through the phone via Bluetooth
Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I assume I won't be able to do something bad, like opening the hood when driving.
Or say something like, “Hey a Lexus just ran that red light,” naturally causing Alexa to run the red light.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
through the phone via Bluetooth
Do you happen to have a link to an Amazon page explaining it? Their website seems to be terrible, and all I can find is info that you need an ANDROID device.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Do you happen to have a link to an Amazon page explaining it? Their website seems to be terrible, and all I can find is info that you need an ANDROID device.
Check out the SDK docs on github. The Bluetooth Extension supports both Android and iOS. I haven't looked into this in any depth.

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Alexa opening and closing front trunk on R1T alexa_bt

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Check out the SDK docs on github. The Bluetooth Extension supports both Android and iOS.

alexa_bt.png
A bit vague. Anything that specifically says SMS is supported on iPhone?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That's all I've got. I'm not an Apple guy and am not familiar with all of Apple's proprietary ways of doing things and the challenges that may present.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
aren't phone calls and texts pretty standard behavior for basically every car anymore, even without Car Play?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That's all I've got. I'm not an Apple guy and am not familiar with all of Apple's proprietary ways of doing things and the challenges that may present.
seems really convoluted how Rivian is routing so much through Alexa. I find it especially vexing considering Rivian said they didn't want to implement CP/AA because they wanted to "own" the user experience. Well, sorry, but they're not "owning" anything if they don't implement simple features and instead rely on Alexa and whatever Amazon chooses to do.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
aren't phone calls and texts pretty standard behavior for basically every car anymore, even without Car Play?
Yes, they are; which makes it all the more frustrating that Rivian seems to have no idea how they're going to do any of it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, they are; which makes it all the more frustrating that Rivian seems to have no idea how they're going to do any of it.
I may be missing something. What's making you think that they aren't implementing as normal, and then just using Alexa as their voice overlay?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I may be missing something. What's making you think that they aren't implementing as normal, and then just using Alexa as their voice overlay?
I don't know for sure... But based on conversations I had with Rivian CS within the last couple weeks they claim that the features are not natively provided by Rivian, at this time, and they told me they're relying on whatever Amazon provides through Alexa.

We talked about it at some length, and they did the "we'll pass your feedback up the chain" routine when I said I really wanted something in the UI that I could see/interact with.

It's entirely possible that the reality of the implementation is not what was described to me -- we have plenty of examples where Guides and CSRs have gotten it wrong or misunderstood/miscommunicated... But that's kind of my point: we don't know.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don't know for sure... But based on conversations I had with Rivian CS within the last couple weeks they claim that the features are not natively provided by Rivian, at this time, and they told me they're relying on whatever Amazon provides through Alexa.

We talked about it at some length, and they did the "we'll pass your feedback up the chain" routine when I said I really wanted something in the UI that I could see/interact with.

It's entirely possible that the reality of the implementation is not what was described to me -- we have plenty of examples where Guides and CSRs have gotten it wrong or misunderstood/miscommunicated... But that's kind of my point: we don't know.
Got it. I'm betting on it being a miscommunication. It'd be easy to ask one of the owners if the were able to use their phone over bluetooth prior to this week.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Can anybody point me to anything, anywhere, where Rivian has said anything about supporting text messages? As far as I can tell, the "owner's guide", revised 10/27/2021, makes no reference.

On a more positive note, what does everyone think of the background in post #1? Different than everything else I've seen. I believe all the others I've seen were light/white or black/dark themed.

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
seems really convoluted how Rivian is routing so much through Alexa. I find it especially vexing considering Rivian said they didn't want to implement CP/AA because they wanted to "own" the user experience. Well, sorry, but they're not "owning" anything if they don't implement simple features and instead rely on Alexa and whatever Amazon chooses to do.
Nothing is routed through Alexa other than voice commands. Don't overthink this.

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

Meh. I'm in the Google ecosystem, not Amazon's. So now I'm gonna have to add more accounts and apps, etc etc.

Oh well. I'll do it, but I'm gonna complain the whole time.

As much as I hypocritically use the evil behemoth known as Amazon, I don't trust or touch any of their devices with a microphone. (If they are so desperate to hear what you are saying that they added Alexa to a toaster, that's saying a lot). So the last thing I want is one of their listening devices in my car. And would they also have access to my driving pattern??? "Hey we see you like going to the beach, here are some beach towels we think you would like."
I'll setup a separate Amazon account for my Rivian cars if that's going to be a requirement.

I really hope they get Android Auto added, even though the "Do no Evil" company has their flaws, I still trust them over Amazon with my limited data (which let's be honest is almost everything). And at the end of the day, the Google ecosystem is much more complete and matured compared to Amazon's. Yes, Google tracks me and knows everything about me, but I have chosen to take advantage of the features and conveniences that it offers me.
Sponsored