Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
As much as I hypocritically use the evil behemoth known as Amazon, I don't trust or touch any of their devices with a microphone. (If they are so desperate to hear what you are saying that they added Alexa to a toaster, that's saying a lot). So the last thing I want is one of their listening devices in my car. And would they also have access to my driving pattern??? "Hey we see you like going to the beach, here are some beach towels we think you would like."
I'll setup a separate Amazon account for my Rivian cars if that's going to be a requirement.
My concern with this is how well these big-data companies seem to be able to mine data and find links. Even if you create a distinct Amazon account and exclusively use it in your Rivian, Amazon may still be able to link it to YOU and your other "regular" account(s).

I was simultaneously impressed and horrified when I learned that grocery stores were able to figure out when a specific customer was in their store and accurately predict what they were going to buy -- even when the customer did not use a store rewards card. They use data that is not immediately obvious -- such as what MAC addresses they see over bluetooth and WiFi -- even if you don't connect to their network. Side note, this is one area where Apple iOS 15 has made some improvements, as you can configure a random and periodically-changing MAC address. Over time and many visits they can ultimately identify your device and credit/debit card and build a profile on you.

Google and Facebook definitely do this, as well. Those ubiquitous "log in with Google" or "Share on Facebook" links that many sites add to their pages are really there so Facebook/Google can get information about you and build out comprehensive profiles. Incognito/Private browsing modes don't stop it.
Sponsored

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

Google and Facebook definitely do this, as well. Those ubiquitous "log in with Google" or "Share on Facebook" links that many sites add to their pages are really there so Facebook/Google can get information about you and build out comprehensive profiles. Incognito/Private browsing modes don't stop it.
Even worse is that you are now giving those sites access to much of your Google/Facebook information! Yes there are permissions that get asked, but the majority of people don't pay attention to that. My rule of thumb is to keep EVERYTHING separate and independent. Never use "log in with Google" or "Share on Facebook", try to use [email protected] as a unique email address, NEVER use the same or similar password.

When it comes to store purchases, Target was the ground breaker. They can tell with 80ish% accuracy if you are pregnant, recently divorced, moved (even locally), lost your job, all based on your spending habits and purchase history. They can even identify cash paying customers based on spending habits and coupons used.
"Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business" is a really good book worth reading/listening to.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, they are; which makes it all the more frustrating that Rivian seems to have no idea how they're going to do any of it.
Rivian's approach to the UI is definitely unconventional. It seems like they are reimagining an automobile UI system and re-creating the wheel across the board. I am ad-libbing here a bit, but based on utilization of the unreal engine for graphical representations really shows that they are approaching from a very different place than traditional manufacturers. The development of the UI appears to have started much later than the engineering of the vehicle and is going to need more time to mature. It has to be better than my Camry. Anyone successfully use Scout?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian's approach to the UI is definitely unconventional. It seems like they are reimagining an automobile UI system and re-creating the wheel across the board. I am ad-libbing here a bit, but based on utilization of the unreal engine for graphical representations really shows that they are approaching from a very different place than traditional manufacturers. The development of the UI appears to have started much later than the engineering of the vehicle and is going to need more time to mature. It has to be better than my Camry. Anyone successfully use Scout?
To provide a counter-point:

Many reviews have pointed out that Rivian seems to be following Tesla for UI/UX -- including hiring former Tesla engineers.

Other auto manufacturers are using Unreal Engine -- including GM in the upcoming GMC Hummer EV.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Other auto manufacturers are using Unreal Engine -- including GM in the upcoming GMC Hummer EV.
From what I've seen of the reviews of the Hummer EV, GMC is using Unreal Engine in a more flashy/video game manner to make the UI POP. Rivian's UI is far more static, but acceptable for a Gen 1.0 version, future FW updates may take more advantage of UE. Here's a link to Hummer EV UI.

Sponsored

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

To provide a counter-point:

Many reviews have pointed out that Rivian seems to be following Tesla for UI/UX -- including hiring former Tesla engineers.

I have learned to always expect a counter point from @CommodoreAmiga ! :CWL:
Good info on the Hummer. Did not know that, but I still feel like we are going to get a very limited UI experience from the Rivian. This is OK as long as we can expect some significant enhancements with OTA updates.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
The Hummer animations look really nice, but I prefer the more stark display of information. Don't really like the white, but it was shown you could pick dark or light display.
Sponsored