Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I wonder in the car is allowed to be in drive or reverse with the gear tunnel doors open. Seems like it could end very badly for the door...
You mean something like this:
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Gotta be a sensor there, just like for the doors, trunk, frunk etc. of course they could ad an override acknowledgment in software. Current cars also allow you to drive while the doors are open, but protest loudly while doing so.
My wife’s car automatically puts the transmission in Park when a door is opened. It will even do so while driving down the road. It was NOT fun to find that out when getting antsy and opening the door while pulling into our driveway.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
My wife’s car automatically puts the transmission in Park when a door is opened. It will even do so while driving down the road. It was NOT fun to find that out when getting antsy and opening the door while pulling into our driveway.
Tesla’s will go into park if they sense you are not in the driver’s seat. Found that out going through an automatic car wash in neutral and leaning around to get something out of the back seat.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

Sensors and software are great, but have a super hard time predicting the human and what they will do. :)

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

There should be a "lock-out" for going into Drive (or any motion) with either one (or both) of the GT side doors unlatched. Otherwise there will be many bad results in parking stalls, garages, campgrounds, etc.

Sponsored

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
I like the way the tailgate opens and the sliding bed section covers the hinge so debris doesn't fall in easily. I do wonder about the bed / roof rack rails and if they will be able to lock so someone doesn't swipe them.
I was told by CS a week ago that the roof racks were lockable. However I got no details about how they lock. Since they come off so easy, I will be taking them off when not is use and storing them in the bed under the cover.

They used to have mounts in the bed itself so you could keep the crossbars secured under the cover. CS confirmed this is no longer an option.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
You mean something like this:
I had one of the first Model X's in my area. That car had red flags all over the screen and an alarm if you tried to drive with the falcon wing door open. It also looks like he's moving fast. My guess is he hit the throttle instead of the brake or he's blind... either way.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Let's take it a step further... I think that in order to avoid the "damped" vs "dampened" discussion coming up again we should hence forth refer to the tailgate mechanism as a "moistening" device.

I must say, that's a very nice moistened tailgate your R1T has.

Now nobody is happy.
How about just saying...the Son of a B#$th doesn't just flop open? :)

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I was told by CS a week ago that the roof racks were lockable. However I got no details about how they lock. Since they come off so easy, I will be taking them off when not is use and storing them in the bed under the cover.

They used to have mounts in the bed itself so you could keep the crossbars secured under the cover. CS confirmed this is no longer an option.
I'm really curious to see details of how this works in practice. It would be really cool if you could "resize" the bars even with something mounted, e.g. if the t-slot rail was independent of the rack's telescopic adjustment. There are obviously implementation complexities there, but I'd love to e.g. be able to move some ski racks from the bed to the roof without removing and reattaching everything, re-measuring, etc...

Bummed to lose the rack in the bed. Seemed like a great organizational option for things like camp/offroad gear (max tracks, shovels, gear bags...) to keep it from sliding around while staying out of the rain. I do see how it would have been fussy when combined with the hatch for the spare, though.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Here's another video from Atlanta. About 12 seconds in it shows the charge port door in action, triggered by an adjacent touch sensor.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
\
Here's another video from Atlanta. About 12 seconds in it shows the charge port door in action, triggered by an adjacent touch sensor.

I like how that opens. I just hope the door isn't easily damaged (either accidentally or by vandals). I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of Rivians rolling down the road with no charging doors, lol.
Sponsored