Sponsored

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Video confirms what we’d expected. The buttons on truck bed above the gear tunnel do release the tunnel doors.
Disappointing to see it appears to be a two-hand operation if you don’t want the door to just flop down (based on him apparently using left hand to cushion drop of door while pressing release with right). A soft release would’ve been nicer.

And of course, we also see that button near tailgate does release the tailgate.
What my eyes saw was that it was dampened and that the guy without a mask wasn't aware of that and was putting his hands on it to guide it. Did anyone see differently?
Sponsored

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

What my eyes saw was that it was dampened and that the guy without a mask wasn't aware of that and was putting his hands on it to guide it. Did anyone see differently?
I think the comment was about the gear tunnel. Looks like the button unlatches it but you need to pull it open.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Video confirms what we’d expected. The buttons on truck bed above the gear tunnel do release the tunnel doors.
Disappointing to see it appears to be a two-hand operation if you don’t want the door to just flop down (based on him apparently using left hand to cushion drop of door while pressing release with right). A soft release would’ve been nicer.

And of course, we also see that button near tailgate does release the tailgate.
Eager2own,
FYI we (forum members) have thoroughly established the correct term is "dampened" or possibly "damped" for referencing the retarded opening/ closing of tailgates, frunk, lids, and other like doors and hatches. "soft" and "Cushion" terminology shall furthermore be reserved for future nit picking discussions concerning interior upholstery and seating. I propose any discussion involving water and inevitable door seal/ fording depth debates we will use the term "moist" IE. The Chillewhich floor mats are designed to get moist when fording over 42".

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Eager2own,
FYI we (forum members) have thoroughly established the correct term is "dampened" or possibly "damped" for referencing the retarded opening/ closing of tailgates, frunk, lids, and other like doors and hatches. "soft" and "Cushion" terminology shall furthermore be reserved for future nit picking discussions concerning interior upholstery and seating. I propose any discussion involving water and inevitable door seal/ fording depth debates we will use the term "moist" IE. The Chillewhich floor mats are designed to get moist when fording over 42".
So "moist" is out of the questions? ?

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I propose any discussion involving water and inevitable door seal/ fording depth debates we will use the term "moist"
Let's take it a step further... I think that in order to avoid the "damped" vs "dampened" discussion coming up again we should hence forth refer to the tailgate mechanism as a "moistening" device.

I must say, that's a very nice moistened tailgate your R1T has.

Now nobody is happy.

Sponsored

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
I keep wondering if those rails are going to be lockable. I'd hate to come back form a hike and find that someone has lifted my roof/bed rails.

I’m hoping for lockable and a height extension for the bed racks so they can be made level with a rack on the roof.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
Assuming that what we are looking at is close to the finished product, it would appear that box buttons release latches for the gear tunnel and the tailgate (as others have noted).

I wonder if there is another option for opening the gear tunnel or dropping the tailgate (damped, dampened, moistened, slowed down or whatever). I think there must be, otherwise putting a canopy on the vehicle would make it somewhere between difficult and awkward to operate those buttons.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
I noticed that the guy is not 'long in the legs' and got into the bed basically the way I did it on my RAM 2500. He struggled a bit, but with practice it is real easy to do.

radiopaul65

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Mazda Miata MX5, 6 speed, retractable hardtop
Occupation
Retired
I like the way the tailgate opens and the sliding bed section covers the hinge so debris doesn't fall in easily. I do wonder about the bed / roof rack rails and if they will be able to lock so someone doesn't swipe them.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I like the way the tailgate opens and the sliding bed section covers the hinge so debris doesn't fall in easily. I do wonder about the bed / roof rack rails and if they will be able to lock so someone doesn't swipe them.
Locks will be found in the accessory store for $2500... ?

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Well, I'm guessing it would be another Rivian owner swiping them, as they'd be useless to anyone else...but I hear ya.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Well, I'm guessing it would be another Rivian owner swiping them, as they'd be useless to anyone else...but I hear ya.
Seems like a lot of accessory theft is less about it being useful to the thief but more either something to sell or as a “f you” from a jealous person.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder in the car is allowed to be in drive or reverse with the gear tunnel doors open. Seems like it could end very badly for the door, another car, or a pedestrian if it was left open. At the same time, a malfunctioning sensor switch keeping you from driving home would be awful too.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I wonder in the car is allowed to be in drive or reverse with the gear tunnel doors open. Seems like it could end very badly for the door, another car, or a pedestrian if it was left open. At the same time, a malfunctioning sensor switch keeping you from driving home would be awful too.
Gotta be a sensor there, just like for the doors, trunk, frunk etc. of course they could ad an override acknowledgment in software. Current cars also allow you to drive while the doors are open, but protest loudly while doing so.

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I do wonder about the bed / roof rack rails and if they will be able to lock so someone doesn't swipe them.
I am hoping they are locked in place when the vehicle is locked.
Sponsored