Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
\

I like how that opens. I just hope the door isn't easily damaged (either accidentally or by vandals). I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of Rivians rolling down the road with no charging doors, lol.
I think it's safer than a traditional hinged door. Stays closer to the body, so less prone to run ins.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think it's safer than a traditional hinged door. Stays closer to the body, so less prone to run ins.
Possibly. I like what Porsche did with the Taycan. Their door slides into the fender so it can't be vandalized.

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Let's take it a step further... I think that in order to avoid the "damped" vs "dampened" discussion coming up again we should hence forth refer to the tailgate mechanism as a "moistening" device.

I must say, that's a very nice moistened tailgate your R1T has.

Now nobody is happy.
I love it

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
That Forest Green is one nice color. Might look best in the shade where it appears richer. Just saw a review of the Polestar 2 interior and it made me appreciate the Rivian more. Big talker politician with no mask lol. Guess we need him though. But what would Forest Gump say about all this congressman ?

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
Big talker politician with no mask lol. Guess we need him though. But what would Forest Gump say about all this congressman ?
Georgia is one of the few states that doesn't have a mask mandate. People need to take a serious look at the data and facts before they decide to disregard the CDCs recommendations. In the study that just was published they found that mask mandates make a real difference.

The data is a little confusing but the CDC says that 100 days after a mask mandate was implemented that there was 1.8% fewer cases than in places that didn't have a mandate. I tried to take a look at what it might have looked like if all states had implemented mask mandates for the entire year of 2020 starting in mid March... Based on the CDC data I figure that there would have been 100,000 fewer cases of covid nationwide in 2020 if every state actually had implemented a mask mandate. That might not sound like a lot since there were around 20,000,000 cases but it's not. Back when things were really bad in mid December, 100,000 cases was almost half the amount of cases we were having per day and it's almost 2 days worth of cases with the current daily numbers.

Edit: However, at this point most of the elderly have been vaccinated and the rest of the population has either been exposed or is young enough to not worry about it. We are the point of heard immunity and we need to be talking about opening things up not making fun of people for not putting a piece of cotton over their face (especially when they are outside and socially distanced). That 1.8% reduction was based during a time when there was no vaccine and very little heard immunity. Right now it would be extremely difficult to make a case that federal and state level mask mandates and social distancing orders are going to save lives going forward. I could see it making a difference on a business level in cases where you have high-risk and unvaccinated people working close together for long periods of time but that is one of the few exceptions.

Last edited:

Sponsored

devnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 45e, GX460, Tacoma, Accord
interesting, its parked and appears to be unlocked (since the frunk is open and the gear tunnel doors are open) and the door handles are in an in position... ?
If by "in position" you mean flush with the body, as against how the handles pop out for a Tesla, then yes that's expected with Rivian that the handles are always flush with the body. Rivian door handles aren't designed to pop out electronically. They rather have a mechanical swivel design, wherein you push with the thumb on one side, grab the rest of the handle on the other and pull it to open. I'm guessing I won't be a big fan of this design, I would've liked the pop out design too, but I wonder if Rivian had a good reason to pick the mechanical swivel design.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If by "in position" you mean flush with the body, as against how the handles pop out for a Tesla, then yes that's expected with Rivian that the handles are always flush with the body. Rivian door handles aren't designed to pop out electronically. They rather have a mechanical swivel design, wherein you push with the thumb on one side, grab the rest of the handle on the other and pull it to open. I'm guessing I won't be a big fan of this design, I would've liked the pop out design too, but I wonder if Rivian had a good reason to pick the mechanical swivel design.
Are you sure about that? From what I’ve seen they were an electric design (how else would they pop out when unlocked and retract at speed?)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Pretty sure the Rivian handles "self present", both from previous Rivian statements as well as photographic proof.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Until you have to pay $1,000 to replace one...
Just because Tesla can't figure out door handles doesn't mean we need to poo-poo Rivian. There's lots of things Tesla can't seem to figure out that the rest of the industry doesn't have a problem with.
Sponsored