Sponsored

VERY DISAPPOINTED!!! No 400+ battery until Jan. 2022?!?!?!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
They said so in their press release:
Rivian’s energy-dense battery module and pack were developed with the most demanding journeys in mind — incorporating tough underbody protection and an advanced cooling system to give occupants the confidence to go further, regardless of terrain or temperature. Adaptive control algorithms learn driver behavior, optimizing user-specific battery management for maximizing battery life, reliability and second-life reusability. Three battery sizes are planned, with the 180 kWh and 135 kWh available at launch and a 105 kWh being made available within six months.

https://media.rivian.com/rivian-lau...dventure-vehiclestm-with-debut-of-r1t-pickup/
That was from the LA Auto Show in Nov '18. A lot of things can & have changed in 2 years, and I'm sure that was their intent at the time.

Just to name a few things that might have affected this, you have COVID, Amazon investment & van order, other major manufacturers requesting battery allocations, etc.

I really do understand & would be upset if my heart was set on a 180 (and placed my preorder because of it).

I just think you also have to put yourself in their shoes as well.
Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
That was from the LA Auto Show in Nov '18. A lot of things can & have changed in 2 years, and I'm sure that was their intent at the time.

Just to name a few things that might have affected this, you have COVID, Amazon investment & van order, other major manufacturers requesting battery allocations, etc.

I really do understand & would be upset if my heart was set on a 180 (and placed my preorder because of it).

I just think you also have to put yourself in their shoes as well.
I understand this also, but as I want to use this as an adventure vehicle, I want the 180 kwh battery.

COVID moved the delivery date by 7 months, I am OK with that is it was for everyone.

Battery allocations I don't agree with. If I order the 180 kwh battery, someone later in line will have to wait longer for their Rivian as I will have some of their battery pack. It was supposed to be modular if I recall correctly.

All this said, I just don't think that pre-ordering was worth it for me. I know this sounds like a first world problem, but if I am not getting it when it's first out in June 2021, then I don't care if I get it in January 2022 or 6 months after that. The 2 year free loan to get it first just isn't there anymore....

But that's just me, won't be the case for everyone else.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I am almost positive there is still more technical testing that is needed before public release. If you think about it in the Rebelle Rally, they got the 135kwh truck as well, clearly 180kwh is still in development and needs some kinks worked out (thermal management, etc).

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If you think about it in the Rebelle Rally, they got the 135kwh truck as well
Technically they only got about 75% of a 135 kWh pack.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Technically they only got about 75% of a 135 kWh pack.

Yea I mean in general that was their option no where near 180, I think a lot more work needs to be put in for a "PROPER" product and while a LOT of us are dissapointed its probably for the best.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Yea I mean in general that was their option no where near 180, I think a lot more work needs to be put in for a "PROPER" product and while a LOT of us are dissapointed its probably for the best.
I think they ended up getting more pre orders than expected, so now they have to squeeze out more vehicles... thus the smaller battery makes more sense to not dissapoint by pushing deliveries even further.
Also, suppliers may not be able to provide the quantity they signed up for since everyone is suffering from delays. Not sure where they are getting their batteries.
My last speculation would be that the R1S is going through a last set of modifications to fit the 7 row seats with the 180kwh pack [finalizing specs around the end of the year]... remember there was an "error" when the old website said 11/16, so they may have rushed an unfinished configurator options to keep their word instead of waiting until the end of the year to release it.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I think the delay in the 400-mile range vehicle is due to changing the battery packaging plans.

The early configuration invitation to reservation holders had this interesting line:

"A longer range R1S with both five- and seven-passenger seating will be announced following start of production."

Up until now, the long-range R1S was going to be available only with 5-passenger seating, as the additional battery modules were going to occupy the space of the third-row seat. Rivian has apparently figured out some way to change that late in the game.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
It is disappointing, but if I can wait until August, I can wait until January.
Rivian has said the long-range R1T will be available in January 2022. As for the long-range R1S, Rivian has said only that it "will be announced following start of production".

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
RE charge rate:
Somewhere on the new website said 200kW. This is likely a software limitation until they get more thermal and/or BMS data.
It actually says "sustained at over 200 kW". Peak charging may be higher
It is NOT a software update, if the system is hardware limited to 400V, then 200KW is the maximum. It requires an 800V system to get more than that...
and that requires the hardware switch from 400 to 800V. Has nothing to do with BMS or thermal data.
The current CharIn family of chargers is limited to 500 A meaning that a 400 V battery cannot be charged at a rate greater than about 200 kW (but there is no limitation on the size of the battery). But, of course, nothing says that a charger with 600 A current limitation could not be built. Nonetheless I think we can assume that Rivian's specs assume the CharIn envelope and their statement that they can charge at over 200 kW can, therefore, be interpreted as meaning that they have implemented the 400/800 V switching scheme.

There may indeed be limitations in the BMS, in fact there doubtless are limitation implemented through taper profile, on the rates at which they allow the battery to take on charge which may well be modified as they gain experience with these packs in the field.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
For my 2 cents I'm also disapointed but will survive quit well with the 300+. I've been debating both for 2 years. I'm tired of waiting for promises within the industry. That's why I bought a Bolt last month. Good deal with GM and got my wife back to driving. We actually are quit pleased with the step child of the EV industry.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
For my 2 cents I'm also disapointed but will survive quit well with the 300+. I've been debating both for 2 years. I'm tired of waiting for promises within the industry. That's why I bought a Bolt last month. Good deal with GM and got my wife back to driving. We actually are quit pleased with the step child of the EV industry.
I have a 2017 Bolt, and other than the charging rate for trips, I am very happy with it. That car works great around town and we will have both the Bolt and a new EV truck, someday in the distant future.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
It actually says "sustained at over 200 kW". Peak charging may be higher
I've actually seen interviews with RJ where he was careful to point out that he was giving a peak rate with the 350 thing.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Those of us that already own an EV realize that the 300+ sounds good on paper, but in reality when traveling long distances you usually charge up to just 80% between charge stops. So that 300 miles will drop down to 240...a loss of around 60 miles, which is very significant for me. And that's in good weather/driving conditions. With a 400+ battery you'd average around 320 miles...big difference when you are out in the middle to nowhere. For this type of vehicle designed to be out away from a majority of fast chargers, that is a very big deal!! All the excuses possible can not change that fact.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Those of us that already own an EV realize that the 300+ sounds good on paper, but in reality when traveling long distances you usually charge up to just 80% between charge stops. So that 300 miles will drop down to 240...a loss of around 60 miles, which is very significant for me.
To me, one of the key differentiators with Rivian was the 400+ mi range combined with the luxury I am used to with my Tesla Model X. I drive a unicorn (Model X 60KW) and range is my key limiter and why I was so jazzed about 400 miles.

My Tesla is 4 years old and repair issues are starting to crop up. Even though I have the extended warranty, I have feature envy for all the new stuff being released.

So, the delay of the 180KW battery packs has me rethinking my decision. Do I buy now? Do I wait for the 180KW pack? Do I buy a new Model X? Do I seriously look at the Hummer? Do I wait even further for CyberTruck or eF150?

This has made me go back and review my decision on a very base level. I do not think this was a marketing decision by Rivian but a technical one, I am just irritated that this is the first we have heard of it. Rivian should have said what they are doing and WHY which we can only speculate at this point.

I will probably buy a Launch Edition R1S but even thats not a done deal.

Ddowns2050

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Tesla model S, C8 convertible corvette
Occupation
Electrical contractor
I will wait on the 400 mi+. And yes I'm disappointed they changed this. If the Hummer is available close to that time frame I might switch to it as I like the looks of it.

I own 2 Teslas and I can tell you that you can't have too much range, especially if you live in a rural area like I do.
Sponsored