Sponsored

Version 2023.02.03, reduced steering effort to maintain straight ahead driving on crowned roads.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
And I thought I was crazy this morning! I finally got good alignment after the last service, but this update now has it shaky on certain crowned roads. Not a fan.
It is really weird how this update seems to have fixed some but made others worse.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I agree to some degree. My vehicle tracks straight since they did an alignment. Lots of shaking at around 60-70 mph. Does feel squirrelly on some roads since that update.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
On my 4th alignment. Waiting for Rivian support to schedule my 5th. Of course, I keep calling and they keep saying "we will coordinate with the SC and promise to call you back tomorrow". That's happened at least a dozen times with no call back, though.

I'm convinced:
1. Rivian has NO CLUE how to align their own vehicles.
2. Something is REALLY wrong with my truck but they don't want to just replace it even though they can't fix it.
I've said for a long time, it sounds like we have completely different vehicles. Hopefully they figure out how to fix your truck.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
On my 4th alignment. Waiting for Rivian support to schedule my 5th. Of course, I keep calling and they keep saying "we will coordinate with the SC and promise to call you back tomorrow". That's happened at least a dozen times with no call back, though.

I'm convinced:
1. Rivian has NO CLUE how to align their own vehicles.
2. Something is REALLY wrong with my truck but they don't want to just replace it even though they can't fix it.
I had to do 3 trips to the Rivian Service Center in Chelsea MA. They did finally get it right. So in pockets they can fix this - maybe the knowledge hasnt reach your SC. One thing i was told is that the alignment needs to be done that considers the ability of the truck to raise and lower. Not sure this will help you - but maybe you can have your service center reach out to the one in MA for some help.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I had to do 3 trips to the Rivian Service Center in Chelsea MA. They did finally get it right. So in pockets they can fix this - maybe the knowledge hasnt reach your SC. One thing i was told is that the alignment needs to be done that considers the ability of the truck to raise and lower. Not sure this will help you - but maybe you can have your service center reach out to the one in MA for some help.
It is crazy to think that Rivian only has a handful of service centers, and they only work on one vehicle architecture, yet they can't properly train them how to do a simple, routine procedure. But here we are.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Version 2023.02.03, reduced steering effort to maintain straight ahead driving on crowned roads. This update made the steering feel numb, a bit loose with a sense of latency on straight roads. It requires a lot of correction now, whereas before, it tracked better.
My truck had tracking issues that were greatly improved by an alignment. Never really noticed an issue on crowned roads. Today while driving after reading your question yesterday, I noticed it seems like my truck very slightly resists me deviating from driving in a straight line on a straight road. I'm not sure I would have ever noticed it before, and have no idea if that's new.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I went in for a 3rd shot at alignment today, and they couldnā€™t get it sorted. When I was back in the front talking to staff about a rental, and one of the staff overheard that they couldnā€™t get it right, I heard her audibly gasp. So, of course I asked what worst case scenario was ā€¦ and itā€™s possibly subframe replacement.

Will report back Monday (hopefully).

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
More subframe talk....I think Rivian has a bigger issue with at least early subframes than anyone is admitting.

Also explains the alignment struggles if things that shouldn't be moving are actually moving. Broken, bad, or incomplete welds maybe?

Also could be source of various noises.

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ā€˜20 Forester
Clubs

I went in for a 3rd shot at alignment today, and they couldnā€™t get it sorted. When I was back in the front talking to staff about a rental, and one of the staff overheard that they couldnā€™t get it right, I heard her audibly gasp. So, of course I asked what worst case scenario was ā€¦ and itā€™s possibly subframe replacement.

Will report back Monday (hopefully).
When you hit bumps, does your truck shake or move side to side fairly violently?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
When you hit bumps, does your truck shake or move side to side fairly violently?
Nope. Itā€™s actually quite smooth. Iā€™d be surprised if it was a broken subframe solely based on the lack of other feedback. Bent, maybe?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It's unfortunate, but the inability to test drive means you can't avoid a rig with a small problem you know will be @#$@ annoying to solve (squeek, rattle, alignment, etc).

Now granted, my last 3 trucks went in to alignment at the service department, one the same day I bought it. It seems "good enough" for the factory line always has some room for improvement on a computerized alignment rack to specs.
Sponsored