Sponsored

Vehicle won't release my EVSE charger handle (Clipper Creek HCS-D50P home charger)

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
My R1S won't release my EVSE's charger handle after charging is complete. Any solutions?

I'm using my Clipper Creek HCS-D50P 40amp dual charger (capable of charging 2 vehicles at the same time, as I also have a Tesla, which I've had for 5 years and been using this EVSE to charge), but for some reason the Rivian would not 'let go' of the charger handle, even though the vehicle completed its charge to 70% hours prior. Green lights were still flashing / on the Rivian, as if it were charging. I tried increasing the % charge so that it would actually start charging again, thinking I could then hit 'stop charging', but it wouldn't start charging. I hit 'unlock' the car on the key fob multiple times to try to get it to release, without success. I explored any options on my Rivian app, but to no avail. I clicked around the main screen in the Rivian to see if I could manually unlock the charge port or release it, but could not find an option. I Googled to find a solution, and it looks like if one could open the Frunk and remove a panel, one could get to a manual release of some kind. However, my hood / frunk barely fits under a deep immovable cabinet hung on the wall, so opening the Frunk is not an option. I have to drive this far forward in order for the car to fit inside the garage. The first time this happened, I had to manually unplug my Clipper Creek at the 240v outlet to get the Rivian to release the charger's handle. Thankfully it's not a hardwired EVSE! The second time I flipped the breaker on my panel. That's not something I can do every day, it would wear out the outlet, be dangerous, and cumbersome.

https://store.clippercreek.com/40-a...ee_recomm_id=660b97476a437315130ef75f8a2f0826<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/...riZq9dIRH1ZoxI_lBfEAA6GR4WbKgNJl1Jn0CKrgwddtP$>

I've reached out to my Guide, who said to open a Service Ticket, which I've done, of course.

Per Clipper Creek's Customer Service:
I am an EVSE Customer Support Technician with Enphase. If you go to push the thumb button down on the J1772 connector and it feels stuck, then the Rivianā€™s anti-tamper mechanism is holding onto the connector. The ClipperCreek connector doesnā€™t have any kind of device thatā€™s going to prevent the button from being pushed and raising the locking lever. What seems to work in these situations is turn the vehicle off, make sure all the doors to car are closed, push the lock button on the key FOB 5-6 times, go stand near the connector, push the unlock button on the key FOB 5-6 times and within 10-15 seconds go to disconnect the charger.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Have you tried a soft or hard reset?

Rgrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I had to do Hard Reset to get it to stop thinking it was charging.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Have to open frunk, pop up edge of tub directly over port, pull manual release cable up and release at handle.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Iā€™ve had one or two instances when I thought this was happening(L2). Turned out that the plug was in the charge port very snugly and if I pulled hard enough in the right direction it came unstuck.

OP
OP
BrentInCO

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Iā€™ve had one or two instances when I thought this was happening(L2). Turned out that the plug was in the charge port very snugly and if I pulled hard enough in the right direction it came unstuck.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been ended up doing each day. I was afraid to initially because of a bad / expensive experience at a public charger; didnā€™t want to break any components.

BTW, a soft and hard reset didnā€™t make any difference.
Sponsored