Vehicle trade-in with Rivian

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
You have to pay County & City tax as well in Colorado. In Denver, the combined tax is listed as 8.81% (calculated on the net purchase price).
8.500% in San Francisco city/county. Another (even smaller) win for CA. About $250.

Thanks for all the input. When I toss this in a spreadsheet, it's about $2,000 cheaper to purchase in Denver assuming they offer me about the same as what I could get on the private market by selling it myself. Obviously they won't match that but lets me know that I'll need to outperform their offer by at least $2,000 (and deal with the added hassle) in order to put money in my pocket...

Probably just stick with SF where I'm likely to take delivery sooner. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

DFWR1S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E400, ML350
Occupation
Financial Advisor
In Indiana, you only pay the sales tax on the difference in sales price regardless of the state in which the sale occurs as long as the vehicle that is being traded in is the same as the selling dealer. Hence a $57k (excellent condition trade-in value on KBB.com) will result in an additional $3990 of benefit.

The real question is will Rivian/Cox Automotive individually evaluate the vehicle to determine vehicle status as good ($53k), very good ($55.4k) or excellent ($57k) or just blanket consider all as "good".
I purchased a vehicle with trade-in from Vroom online. What they did for the trade-in is they used the VIN to get options and all that then they asked a series of questions about the condition of the vehicle, and required pictures. From there they came up with an official offer (which was more than we expected). Then they say they have X number of days to evaluate the vehicle once it is delivered to them to determine if the condition has been accurately represented. If so that is the end of it, if not they can lower the offer. They didn't contest our evaluation and gave us what we thought was a very generous value. The same flatbed that dropped off the new car loaded up and took the trade-in. Our experience went very smoothly, and I imagine Rivian's process will be similar.