First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Titan/2005 Honda Accord/2017 Zero DSR
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
My apologies if this has already been covered. I've been looking for info on how Rivians can charge each other. As well as information regarding solar charging in off-grid scenarios.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
There’s no official confirmation on this from Rivian. It was mentioned at one point, but it was quite awhile ago and nothing since, so many expect that it won’t be a feature of the initial rollout vehicles.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Long story short, you'd need a big ass solar panel to get anything useful.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Solar charging is impractical. You’d need a solar array the size of a parking lot. A fixed solar install could do it, but no way anything portable will make a meaningful dent in charging.

R1’s can tow-charge, so you could pull one to add some charge... Helpful in an emergency, but I wouldn’t plan on using it for normal travel. It’ll be like pulling a heavy trailer with the brakes locked on. You’ll kill the range of the towing vehicle, too.

OP
OP
Kenshaka

Kenshaka

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
My intentions are to connect solar panels to offset non-driving usage of the battery. Such as the Camp Kitchen or anything else I might want to plug into the 110v outlets

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kenshaka

Kenshaka

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
Solar charging is impractical. You’d need a solar array the size of a parking lot. A fixed solar install could do it, but no way anything portable will make a meaningful dent in charging.

R1’s can tow-charge, so you could pull one to add some charge... Helpful in an emergency, but I wouldn’t plan on using it for normal travel. It’ll be like pulling a heavy trailer with the brakes locked on. You’ll kill the range of the towing vehicle, too.
Amazing! Your posts/replies are the ones I look for the most. And you were the very first reply to my very first post. Cool

OP
OP
Kenshaka

Kenshaka

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
I just figure, if I'm out in the sun, why not use it? Even if it won't fully charge the truck, its still free juice

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My intentions are to connect solar panels to offset non-driving usage of the battery. Such as the Camp Kitchen or anything else I might want to plug into the 110v outlets
I think that the way i'd look at this is that if you're worried about getting back after using the camp kitchen, you're probably cutting it too close. Unless you're out there for a very extended period of time. At which point, sure, you could probably toss a panel up to help offset the usage. But even with say a 300w solar panel for an RV, and picked up peak for 4 hours a day, you'd recover less than 1% of the R1T's capacity.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Rivian is likely going to want to draw about 12 amps from a 110/120v connection. That’s 1440w. So you’d need to find a portable solar system capable of outputting 1500w continuous. From the limited research I’ve done, 1500w systems aren’t small. Rivian has stated that the camp kitchen draws 1440w, so you’d need a similar sized solar setup to run the camp kitchen directly off solar vs. off of the truck battery.

IMO, you’re better off carrying a propane cooking setup vs. spending $5k on camp kitchen and another $2k on a portable solar setup. But that’s just me... I like to keep things simple.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I just figure, if I'm out in the sun, why not use it? Even if it won't fully charge the truck, its still free juice
Yeah, I get your use case idea more here. Unless you're sitting out in the middle of nowhere for like.... a month, I would be surprised if the space taken up by a solar panel is worth it and produces any meaningful offset relative to the size of the battery. I know I'm not going off road to camp some distance that I wouldn't have a reasonable buffer to get back to a place to charge. Even if it's just a 110 home outlet.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The Rivian is likely going to want to draw about 12 amps from a 110/120v connection. That’s 1440w. So you’d need to find a portable solar system capable of outputting 1500w continuous. From the limited research I’ve done, 1500w systems aren’t small. Rivian has stated that the camp kitchen draws 1440w, so you’d need a similar sized solar setup to run the camp kitchen directly off solar vs. off of the truck battery.
Good point. I was too lazy to get that far down the logic here either. A 300w panel is generally going to run be about 4'x1.5', so something like 36 square feet at a minimum. Super rough estimate and assuming max wattage.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
My apologies if this has already been covered. I've been looking for info on how Rivians can charge each other. As well as information regarding solar charging in off-grid scenarios.
The V2V has been confirmed by RJ and they demonstrated V2V by charging the HD Live Wire directly from the R1T on The Long Way Up.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The V2V has been confirmed by RJ and they demonstrated V2V by charging the HD Live Wire directly from the R1T on The Long Way Up.
But if you ask customer service, they won’t confirm that it will be a feature on the production vehicles. RJ has said a lot of things that have been confirmed won’t be there.

OP
OP
Kenshaka

Kenshaka

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Radiology Technologist

IMO, you’re better off carrying a propane cooking setup vs. spending $5k on camp kitchen and another $2k on a portable solar setup. But that’s just me... I like to keep things simple.

I have the Bluetti AC200. I plan on utilizing this, since I bought it originally to use with my Nissan Titan. It can power the kitchen while simultaneously being charged by solar or other inputs. https://www.bluetti.com/products/bluetti-ac200p-2000wh-2000w-portable-power-station

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the Bluetti AC200. I plan on utilizing this, since I bought it originally to use with my Nissan Titan. It can power the kitchen while simultaneously being charged by solar or other inputs. https://www.bluetti.com/products/bluetti-ac200p-2000wh-2000w-portable-power-station
It looks like that system would have the necessary output. On their website it states that an 800w draw would drain the battery in 2.1 hrs. So if the truck is drawing 1440w, then it would last 1:15. You likely don’t want to drain it all the way, so let’s say you’ll get one hour of charging the truck from one each cycling of the generator battery. That would add 1-2 miles of range to the truck.

It’ll recharge from solar panels at up to 700w, so you’d basically need to have full power from the solar panels for roughly 4 hrs to completely recharge the generator battery. So I’d guess 2-4 miles of range per day would be your best case scenario.

However, to get that 700w from solar, you’ll need 4 of their 200w panels which are 7’x2’ in size each (they fold down to 2’x2’x1.5’ blocks for transport). So you’ve essentially used up most of the truck bed carrying all that around. You could go with fewer panels, but it would just take longer to fully recharge the generator’s battery. You’d probably want a minimum of 2 panels, which would allow you one full charge / discharge cycle per day (assuming you can get 8 hrs of full power from the panels ), equating to 1-2 miles of charge for the truck.

Another option would be to plug things (including the camp kitchen) directly into the generator vs. having the generator charge the truck and then the truck battery powering the accessories. This would allow you to better conserve the generator battery’s power, but would not be adding extra miles to the truck battery if there was more supply from the panels than demand from the accessories.

Anyway, that full setup with 2kW generator and 4 200w solar arrays would be over $4,000. If you already have it, then it definitely could add some value on your trips. But I’m not sure spending that kind of money for a few miles of range per day is really worth it. Ymmv.
Sponsored