First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
It has been over month and Rivian (RegUSA) has not even sent paperwork to the state. That has nothing to do with plates.
WA knows I own the truck and has assigned a plate to it...just can't make the plates. On my 1st call to DOL, they did not have the paperwork, so, yeah, more than a month, I'm sure.
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Has anyone thought about asking the Rivian media contact about why owners are so upset about this? Or perhaps asking Electrek or InsideEVs to do so?

I'm sure if it 'gets out' that Rivian is consistently fucking up registration paperwork out of laziness and/or sloppiness, it would force change.

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
My guide called yesterday and offered me a rental also until my tags arrive. He said my paperwork was with the State of TX for processing (didn't say when it was submitted).
Update on my message above. Just got an email from my guide stating they are sending me all the paperwork to title the vehicle myself and will be refunding the TT&L I paid them for this. I have sent the guide an email back asking when I will receive my TT&L money and how they will compensate me for my time, travel, and PTO day I will need to use to do this myself (I need to go to my county office personally ASAP since my temp tag is expired, they can give me tags and a plate the same day).

I'm very disappointed I was lied to saying my paperwork had already been filed with the Texas DMV. I knew what I signed up for purchasing a new vehicle from a new manufacturer, but lying to the customer is never acceptable to me.

I'll update as I receive new information. Good luck to others in the same situation.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
On a side note, I just learned that Rivians are exempt from the sky high registration fees in King County. $125 instead of what would have been in the area of $800-1200. Not sure how I missed that when reviewing my paperwork.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
I'm sure if it 'gets out' that Rivian is consistently fucking up registration paperwork out of laziness and/or sloppiness, it would force change.
I heard this was common with Tesla at least in the early days. Not sure it's as big a news story as we think

Sponsored

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
Received my R1T 6/10 and today plates and registration came!

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I'm in California as well -- took 2-3 weeks. I suspect they only have some states running smoothly.

silby1383

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
A DOL person told me that they have some broken machines and that parts are hard to come by...I'm thinking probably really old needing unavailable parts, but that's just a guess. Their web site just has this:
<< COVID-19 closures are affecting the production of our license plates, tabs, and decals. This is causing significant delays in our ability to issue them to you.>>

I am better than 13 weeks out from delivery and had to go get a paper permit for the back window to replace the Illinois paper that is just about out of date. When I got the permit, good through August, I was told to just come back when I need a new one. That does not sound promising...
Thanks for the info. I got my truck in March, and still have not received anything. My Guide insists they filed the paperwork, but WA DMV has no record of it, nor can find my VIN in the databases. They said they cannot help me with a temporary tag ,so I assume they did find your paperwork?

Guide is now telling me the only way to get this done faster is to do it myself. Quite ridiculous that they are forcing customer to go file their paperwork.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Thanks for the info. I got my truck in March, and still have not received anything. My Guide insists they filed the paperwork, but WA DMV has no record of it, nor can find my VIN in the databases. They said they cannot help me with a temporary tag ,so I assume they did find your paperwork?

Guide is now telling me the only way to get this done faster is to do it myself. Quite ridiculous that they are forcing customer to go file their paperwork.
In my case, it did take a couple months. Since I got mine April 4th, well, I would think you'd be in their system by now...is it possible that I actually caught a break here? Wonders never cease...

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
CT Resident, got the email from guide that they're sending everything and are asking me to do the registration. I have about 5 weeks from now before the temp tag expires. Not the best news - but at least it's in my control. I was told that my vanity plate for my ridgeline would not be moved over because it was registered as a passenger vehicle (dont ask me why - the dealership did that). Now that i will own the process maybe i can get my plates added to the rivian.

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Update on my message above. Just got an email from my guide stating they are sending me all the paperwork to title the vehicle myself and will be refunding the TT&L I paid them for this. I have sent the guide an email back asking when I will receive my TT&L money and how they will compensate me for my time, travel, and PTO day I will need to use to do this myself (I need to go to my county office personally ASAP since my temp tag is expired, they can give me tags and a plate the same day).

I'm very disappointed I was lied to saying my paperwork had already been filed with the Texas DMV. I knew what I signed up for purchasing a new vehicle from a new manufacturer, but lying to the customer is never acceptable to me.

I'll update as I receive new information. Good luck to others in the same situation.
You echo my sentiments exactly. I expected bumps in the road but the lies, failure to return multiple phone calls, and dismissal of my concerns have been incredibly frustrating.

I received my refund last week and got my documents yesterday. I’m worried that they didn’t send me everything I need because my DMV representative told me that I need a proof on inspection from the dealership and that’s not included in what was sent. I gave my guide a list of documents that the DMV said I needed but only received the MCO, purchase agreement, bill of sale, and odometer certification.

The only thing worse than burning a day off waiting for hours at the DMV is having to do it twice.

Glad to hear that a few of you have gotten your plates and have had a smooth experience.

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
In my case, it did take a couple months. Since I got mine April 4th, well, I would think you'd be in their system by now...is it possible that I actually caught a break here? Wonders never cease...
March 30th delivery and my VIN isn't in License eXpress...

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I did my weekly check on the MI Secretary of State website and found this morning that my trade in vehicle has been de-registered and the R1T is now showing up. They even transitioned my personalized plate as requested. Not sure exactly what date this occurred, but it is sometime in the last week. I'm pretty confident MI will issue get the registration and title to me in the next few days and then I can put my real plate on the truck.

For those counting, I took delivery 7 weeks ago. So, maybe they are getting the bugs worked out....or I'm just lucky. Not sure which applies. I'm just glad they apparently got my personalized plate transferred as I didn't want to have to fight that battle with SOS (thanks Doug for fighting that one already).

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
I am also in registration/plate/title limbo in (in NY). Thanks to @cbuckley and others who pointed us towards Reg USA. If you're in a similar situation, (you've called your guide and there's no action, you're close to expired temp tags) you can call Reg USA at (800) 211-3638. You'll need your VIN for them to find your records.

The woman at Reg USA was very pleasant and helpful, same process - she opened a case and said I should get a status update within three business days. Too bad my tags expire in 1 business day! Hopefully this speeds things up and they overnight me some plates soon.

Going to the DMV and dealing with a $6k refund from Rivian sounds like a slog. So I really hope to avoid that.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Mine came with a 90 day Illinois tag. I sort of assumed they were doing this in every state.
Sponsored