Sponsored

Vehicle (Tag) still not registered

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

Same here in Oregon. Mine expire tomorrow. First Rivian sent the wrong amount to the DMV, after over 2 months, supposedly they have sent full payment now but haven't seen any progress. I am going to try to call the DMV this morning and see if I can actually sort it out.

Rivian is blaming delays at the DMV which is hilarious based on the timeline. Take ownership Rivian, you screwed up, don't blame everyone else it makes you look like a bunch of idiots.

My temp guide reached out yesterday saying they are trying to get approval for a rental.. I don't have another car to drive.
I'd also have your Guide tell RegUSA to have DMV send your plates directly to you vs to RegUSA. Will save you a week of delay.
Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I got my truck in March and wanted to transfer the plate from my Subaru. I have contacted my guide seeing the expiration date of 6/27. She sent back the PA DMV wanted a notarized VIN verification on letterhead. This was to be sent out last week and I have heard nothing since. This morning I sent her the following text;

I got my insurance bill today which highlighted the title problem. I had transferred my plate to the new Rivian from my old truck. I sold the truck but cannot remove it from insurance. By PA law I would have to surrender my plate (the one intended for my R1T). I continue to pay $1.75/day and am currently at $141.75 paid on a truck I don't own. By the time my temp plate expires on 6/27 it will be up to $152.25. You see my dilemma. I cannot legally put on my PA plate without paperwork, I will have an expired IL temp plate, I will still be paying on Subaru insurance as well as Rivian insurance (neither I will be able to drive). Usually when I buy a vehicle, the AAA does the paperwork that day and all is well. Rivian needs to expedite things a bit. Please pass this on to the appropriate people. Thanks.

I can only hope this finds its way to the people who need to read it.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Rivian should get you a new temp tag until they can get your registration processed.
SHOULD but can't, they won't say why but Illinois won't issue another temp tag. I asked.

I ended up getting a temp tag myself from WA state and talked to the Florida DMV myself (weirdo situation). They told me all the docs I needed, prefilled a bunch, and told me the total dollar amount to pay. I gave my guide the list of docs I need and they're expediting to me and refunding registration fees.

They wouldn't tell me the dates of submission or when it was kicked back, nor who is doing registrations for them. Anyone got inside info?

Opa

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Tacoma
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

SHOULD but can't, they won't say why but Illinois won't issue another temp tag. I asked.

I ended up getting a temp tag myself from WA state and talked to the Florida DMV myself (weirdo situation). They told me all the docs I needed, prefilled a bunch, and told me the total dollar amount to pay. I gave my guide the list of docs I need and they're expediting to me and refunding registration fees.

They wouldn't tell me the dates of submission or when it was kicked back, nor who is doing registrations for them. Anyone got inside info?
Same situation here. My plates expire tomorrow. Guide offered a rental. Have asked for a new paper tag several times but no response. Called the DMV. They won’t give a paper tag unless I have all the correct docs. (Including the MSO “Manufacturers Statement of Origin “ Asked Rivian to send those to me so I could register on my own. Guide is “still checking” on when and if they can do that. I have been working this issue with my guide for weeks. Information is slow coming at best. Incompetent at worst.

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

They use a company called RegUSA based in New York. I would put pressure on your guide to contact RegUSA to get an update.

Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I had asked for a different plate design (oregon has multiple), and they said "nope, that's not something we're set up to handle". Will be interesting to see if you get any resolution from them on this.
I just spent over an hour in my local Secretary Of State's office trying to get this resolved. They had to call SOS HQ in Lansing to get it resolved without several hundred dollars of duplicate fees. Turns out the entity that was doing the title request/registration did not attempt a plate transfer to the existing personalized MI plate (including the Recreational Pass) that I had just renewed. They simply ordered a new plate and sent it to me via FEDEX. SOS gave me a 2 week temporary registration and said the original (correct) plate should be assigned to the R1T by the end of the day. Hopefully I am able to get a refund on the additional $600+ that was paid to get a new plate/registration.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Tesla used to outsource the registration in Texas (maybe other states as well) to a third party and there were significant delays in getting plates.

Then at some point they started having customers (in Texas) do it themselves.

I don't recall who told me but the reason was due to fraud by the 3P registration company.

Maybe Rivian is running into the same issues Tesla was.

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
My guide called yesterday and offered me a rental also until my tags arrive. He said my paperwork was with the State of TX for processing (didn't say when it was submitted).

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I received my title in the mail yesterday from my state dept of revenue. That's just about 6 weeks after picking up the vehicle - which seems reasonable.

No sign of actual plates yet...

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My guide called yesterday and offered me a rental also until my tags arrive. He said my paperwork was with the State of TX for processing (didn't say when it was submitted).
I seriously doubt that your DMV has any records on your vehicle. I was told the exact same thing weeks ago, called my local DMV in TX, and they had NO records on my vehicle.

I hate that I joined this forum just to respond to this thread with a negative ownership experience, but I'm hoping to prevent others from ending up in my situation. I took delivery on March 21st and my dealer plates expired on 6-17-22. I thought that Rivian was an honest and on-top of-things type company and foolishly listened to all of the hollow reassurance I was given along the way rather than pressing for more direct answers.

I'm guessing that the guides are reading off of a script because I was told, word for word, the same stuff that countless others on here have been told and most of it has been patently false. Not knowing that others were having problems, I didn't start pressing my guide about my plates until the first part of June. My guide (Adam) told me that my DMV is running behind but had all of my paperwork and not to worry because Rivian would overnight me extended dealer plates if we get close to my 6/17 expiration date. I, unfortunately, took him at face value and didn't call my local DMV until about 5 days before my plates expired. As far as I know, TX doesn't have a way to view registration status online, but a call to my local DMV revealed that they are not experiencing a backlog and that nothing had been received or in process.

Knowing that nothing was in process and that my plate expired in 5 days, I tried to reach my guide multiple times by email and phone with no response. I called Rivian customer service to see if they could help, but they said that only my guide could assist with these types of issues. I explained the predicament that I was in and they told me that they could see that my guide was still at work and that they were going to send him an urgent message to call me ASAP. My guide called me back and gave a sob story that he is just the middle man and is unable to see much information about the status of my registration and title processing. He admitted that he was frustrated because he is spending the majority of his time putting out fires related to Rivian owners' T&R. I never got a replacement dealer plate overnighted to me as he had promised and he could not tell me if or when I would get a replacement plate or what was going on with my registration. He assured me that both the replacement dealer plate and my registration were in the process somewhere and that it was "escalated" as a priority due to my plates soon expiring.

Over the last two weeks, I have made several more calls to Rivian and still do not have anything at my local DMV or replacement dealer plates. My guide was supposed to contact me a few days ago with a definitive plan but never called me. Yesterday, having finally lost my patience, I called my guide and started pressing him on the dates things were supposedly sent. He confirmed that RegUSA was handling my paperwork and said that my application was rejected by my DMV over 2 weeks ago but couldn't give me any more details. He said that, according to his notes, the fix for this is "self-registration" and asked me if I had the documents needed to do it. Now, the plan is to spend hours at my local DMV to register a vehicle I already paid someone else to take care of, but I don't have the necessary documents to do this. My guide said that he was hopeful that someone would reach out to me next week regarding the documents.

Not happy with that plan, I decided to try to reach someone at RegUSA. They do not have their phone number listed on any of their websites, but I was able to find an 800 number on their Better Business Bureau listing. As an aside, it's pretty incredible that Rivian partnered with a company that has an F rating on BBB. The lady that took my call at RegUSA asked me how I got the number because it was supposed to only be for dealerships but ultimately agreed to look into my case. She said they have a privacy agreement with Rivian and can not directly divulge to me if/when any of my documents were sent/received or the status of my paperwork but she wanted to know why I was calling. After explaining my entire saga, she said that she opened a case file for me, took detailed notes, would reach out to Rivian with a detailed update, and have them relay this information to me. She provided me with a case # and said that I should expect a response within a few business days, but I was dubious that this would incite any action. Within about 1.5 hours of finishing my phone call with her, I received overnight shipping confirmations from BOTH Rivian and RegUSA. I have no idea what they are sending me but am hopeful it will at least be the documents I need to register myself.

This whole experience has really soured me on the company now that I know it's a widespread issue. It makes me suspicious that there is either company-sponsored dishonesty or sheer incompetence at play and I'm not sure which of those options is better. Now, three months post-delivery, I have a $90k truck that I can't legally drive.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Asked Rivian to send those to me so I could register on my own. Guide is “still checking” on when and if they can do that.
This seems the obvious solution. Has anyone done it this way?

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
I seriously doubt that your DMV has any records on your vehicle. I was told the exact same thing weeks ago, called my local DMV in TX, and they had NO records on my vehicle.

I hate that I joined this forum just to respond to this thread with a negative ownership experience, but I'm hoping to prevent others from ending up in my situation. I took delivery on March 21st and my dealer plates expired on 6-17-22. I thought that Rivian was an honest and on-top of-things type company and foolishly listened to all of the hollow reassurance I was given along the way rather than pressing for more direct answers.

I'm guessing that the guides are reading off of a script because I was told, word for word, the same stuff that countless others on here have been told and most of it has been patently false. Not knowing that others were having problems, I didn't start pressing my guide about my plates until the first part of June. My guide (Adam) told me that my DMV is running behind but had all of my paperwork and not to worry because Rivian would overnight me extended dealer plates if we get close to my 6/17 expiration date. I, unfortunately, took him at face value and didn't call my local DMV until about 5 days before my plates expired. As far as I know, TX doesn't have a way to view registration status online, but a call to my local DMV revealed that they are not experiencing a backlog and that nothing had been received or in process.

Knowing that nothing was in process and that my plate expired in 5 days, I tried to reach my guide multiple times by email and phone with no response. I called Rivian customer service to see if they could help, but they said that only my guide could assist with these types of issues. I explained the predicament that I was in and they told me that they could see that my guide was still at work and that they were going to send him an urgent message to call me ASAP. My guide called me back and gave a sob story that he is just the middle man and is unable to see much information about the status of my registration and title processing. He admitted that he was frustrated because he is spending the majority of his time putting out fires related to Rivian owners' T&R. I never got a replacement dealer plate overnighted to me as he had promised and he could not tell me if or when I would get a replacement plate or what was going on with my registration. He assured me that both the replacement dealer plate and my registration were in the process somewhere and that it was "escalated" as a priority due to my plates soon expiring.

Over the last two weeks, I have made several more calls to Rivian and still do not have anything at my local DMV or replacement dealer plates. My guide was supposed to contact me a few days ago with a definitive plan but never called me. Yesterday, having finally lost my patience, I called my guide and started pressing him on the dates things were supposedly sent. He confirmed that RegUSA was handling my paperwork and said that my application was rejected by my DMV over 2 weeks ago but couldn't give me any more details. He said that, according to his notes, the fix for this is "self-registration" and asked me if I had the documents needed to do it. Now, the plan is to spend hours at my local DMV to register a vehicle I already paid someone else to take care of, but I don't have the necessary documents to do this. My guide said that he was hopeful that someone would reach out to me next week regarding the documents.

Not happy with that plan, I decided to try to reach someone at RegUSA. They do not have their phone number listed on any of their websites, but I was able to find an 800 number on their Better Business Bureau listing. As an aside, it's pretty incredible that Rivian partnered with a company that has an F rating on BBB. The lady that took my call at RegUSA asked me how I got the number because it was supposed to only be for dealerships but ultimately agreed to look into my case. She said they have a privacy agreement with Rivian and can not directly divulge to me if/when any of my documents were sent/received or the status of my paperwork but she wanted to know why I was calling. After explaining my entire saga, she said that she opened a case file for me, took detailed notes, would reach out to Rivian with a detailed update, and have them relay this information to me. She provided me with a case # and said that I should expect a response within a few business days, but I was dubious that this would incite any action. Within about 1.5 hours of finishing my phone call with her, I received overnight shipping confirmations from BOTH Rivian and RegUSA. I have no idea what they are sending me but am hopeful it will at least be the documents I need to register myself.

This whole experience has really soured me on the company now that I know it's a widespread issue. It makes me suspicious that there is either company-sponsored dishonesty or sheer incompetence at play and I'm not sure which of those options is better. Now, three months post-delivery, I have a $90k truck that I can't legally drive.
I share your disappointment but you signed up and purchased a from a company that never sold or produced a product before and this soured you?
I haven’t received my plates or title yet either but wtf, am I disappointed yep. But it’s difficult to start doing commerce in 50 states with DMV’s being known to be so consumer orientated (jk)At this point I’d still recommend a Rivian purchase, but realize you purchased a ticket on a roller coaster both mechanically and logistically. So far for me it’s been worth it. With the subpar production #’s I think the value will remain high and possibly go higher as more people discover Rivian. I think they have done more things right than wrong.

How you rate those rights and wrongs could “sour” you. If you get motion sickness don’t get a ticket.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
I ended up getting a temp tag myself from WA state
Can you tell me more about this? I'm also in WA and less than a week away from expired temp tags.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Can you tell me more about this? I'm also in WA and less than a week away from expired temp tags.
I'm military registering in another state, so YMMV but... https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/trippermits.html

I used this: https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/militarypermits.html

Go to the DMV with what information you have and plead your case. They'll likely just tell you to register it yourself, give you a list of everything you need to register, and a trip permit. Give your guide that list and say you need it ASAP, they'll overnight the docs to you. They sent mine yesterday, but of course it won't arrive till Monday 🙄

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
Thanks for the links. After spending a bunch of time lost in WA gov't website bureaucracy I'm not looking forward to dealing with this. It does look possible but I agree with that it's a "go in and talk to someone" kind of problem. The DOL visits (thankfully haven't done one in years) is right up there with dentist visits. The 3-day temp tag is useful but will only help if Rivian can get you the docs overnighted overwise you're likely going back in for another 3-day permit.
Sponsored