popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

Vegan leather virtue signals environmental consciousness.

Vinyl is made from oil by the application of heat and pressure (more energy use).

Neither are sustainable choices.
Show me where on the doll the virtue signaled you. "Vegan leather", as dumb as it is, has been around for a good while as a term and is now just descriptive.

Using the equivalent of a tank of gas to make a product that will last decades (and is possibly reclaimable?) isn't in the same realm as other types of industrial waste. I think a part of the value for some folks comes from not sitting on dead animal day in and day out, too.

All that said, I'm fairly happy with my truck's interior - we'll see how it holds up. If anything, I'm more worried about the stitching than the pleather itself.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

TheCarbonGuards

Site Sponsor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theoriginalcarbonguards.com
Vehicles
Super73 RX
Occupation
Mud flap connoisseur
Okey dokey, I'll just spray some leather perfume on it and then no one would think that it's vegan. Anybody know where I can find a bottle? ;)
Cow oil in a spray bottle is what you're looking for 🐮.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
As long as we don't return to this

BF684AFF-ADC1-40AA-8082-84A9DAE9A55C.jpeg
Ah... I can almost smell the cigarette smoke through my display!

I bet it had one of these too:
Rivian R1T R1S Vegan Leather VS Animal Hide Leather 1669145271772

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Ah... I can almost smell the cigarette smoke through my display!

I bet it had one of these too:
1669145271772.jpeg
I wonder if any of this material exists to this day, that doesn't have a burn hole in it somewhere.

My first car had an 8 track...with a cassette tape adapter stuffed into it. Yikes!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I wonder if any of this material exists to this day, that doesn't have a burn hole in it somewhere.

My first car had an 8 track...with a cassette tape adapter stuffed into it. Yikes!
So did mine! Unfortunately for me that was in 1992 so I put a portable boombox in the passenger seat. I was just happy to have a car!

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
So did mine! Unfortunately for me that was in 1992 so I put a portable boombox in the passenger seat. I was just happy to have a car!
For me....86. And my dad had a 8 track recorder so for a while I actually was making 8 tracks. I made a heavy investment at that time of 2 Sony speakers for rear deck of my Camaro. I wasn't going to give up on that powerhouse of a sound system. Haha!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
For me....86. And my dad had a 8 track recorder so for a while I actually was making 8 tracks. I made a heavy investment at that time of 2 Sony speakers for rear deck of my Camaro. I wasn't going to give up on that powerhouse of a sound system. Haha!
Oh yeah - it was always a big deal when someone got those 2 rear speakers replaced! It was like a neighborhood event. Ironically even in 92 I could still find 8 track cassettes at some thrift stores so I would buy them even though they sounded terrible.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Give me real natural leather all day long. You can't beat that unmistakable smell and durability of real cowhide. A lot of Vegan leather is made from petroleum products.

I read somewhere that Rivian simulated 150k miles of durability testing once they finalized the seat cover material.

Last edited:

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Limestone, 21Inch
It compares well to low end automotive leather but most luxury vehicles offer 2 or more grades of leather. You can easily tell the difference between the vinyl stuff and the higher end leathers.

My only gripe is with the steering wheel. It's obvious that you're holding a plastic wheel vs leather.

Other than that, I think in terms of resistance to wear and tear and ease of care, the vinyl is fine.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I also hate the name.

The name makes it sound like they are embarrassed by the actual material. If <chemical name> makes a great seat material, then proudly proclaim that these are <chemical name> seats.

Just like we don't call olive oil "vegan lard". While it is vegan and it can replace lard in many uses, it is a great product that can be labeled as what it really is rather than only labeled as a comparison to something else.

I hope that Rivian's seat material is the same - a comfortable, durable material that you should be proud of it being whatever it is.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired