Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

BoIsADog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach-E
The point is more the inconvenience of storing the vehicle in a place where it can't be plugged in on life support makes things less "adventurous."
Agreed that it feels much less adventurous when I can't go to trailhead and leave it for a few days without energy loss.
Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

If you live in California, Coal represents 3% of electricity power mix, most of that is imported in.

There are only eight states that depend on coal for over 50% of electricity generation, West Virginia is the highest at 88%.

Data is from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

The grid gets cleaner every year as more renewable projects come on board. Your EV disc cleaner to operate every year, while a petrol car is at peak cleanliness the first day it rolls off the line.
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 2021-Power-Content-Label-Cropped-1024x824

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

FWIW, we're not seeing any vampire drain yet. We turned off proximity locking/unlocking, though, since we go into our basement garage often. Not sure if that has any effect on drain.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
FWIW, we're not seeing any vampire drain yet. We turned off proximity locking/unlocking, though, since we go into our basement garage often. Not sure if that has any effect on drain.
You will see it.... the problem has not been solved yet.

Reset one of your trip odometers to zero, let the vehicle sit for 24hrs or longer, then go in to vehicle and pull up that trip odometer.... it will show "0" miles driven with X.X kWh consumed.

ch33rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 turbo S/Fisker Ocean reservation/Altima
Occupation
Finance
Just picked up my truck on 5/12. first night i actually gained %. Today, i noticed it lost 1 mile of range. I keep the proximity locking off, gearguard off, and keep the door locked. I'm still running 2022.x software build as i'm patiently waiting on them to push an OTA to me. So far given what i've read, i'm pleased with ~1mi/day vampire drain. It is warm and humid in Houston though so maybe that helps.

I'll do what NY-Rob mentioned and see how many khw it consumes per day by resetting the trip odometer.

Sponsored

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
FWIW: When my truck got totaled out on April 20th I had 54% battery on the charge. Since then, the truck has sat in the salvage yard at progressive in direct sunlight. (I can still see the truck on the app, excuse I don’t know how to take it off my app.) 3 weeks later it’s at 13%. The cabin climate is currently 113%. The crash was a few days before I got the push notice to update to the latest software.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Interesting they didn't cut or disconnect the HV battery, not knowing condition.Hope there is a way to safely salvage perfectly good battery packs before it drains itself to death (and bms is working properly)

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Had the first chance to test a longer term (11 days) of drain. R1S in the garage in Georgia. No special settings. GG on but disabled at home - no events. Proximity key on but none present - all on vacation. I charged to 70% overnight as I normally do and unplugged it before I left. 11 days later it had gone from 70% to 53%, from 206 to 155 miles. The trip computer says 24.6kwh used. Interestingly says 0 miles, 0 avg speed but .19mi/kwh. Weird. Anyway, about 2.2kwh/day or 1.6-1.7% lost. The numbers are clearly higher than we want them to be but aren't concerning to me in and of themselves. My concern is what if I'm at a trailhead for a few days with GG being triggered throughout and low temps. Does that double consumption? Triple it?

The comparison and what makes this interesting to me, my R1S was sitting right beside my M3LR. It showed 70%, 248 miles when I left. On my return - after installing an update received while I was away - it showed 70%, 246 miles. I didn't see how I could use the trip computer like I did in the Rivian to compare kwh but the difference between miles and % are pretty dramatic.

Anyone with concrete suggestions (read: data based) to minimize the drain? Thanks for the suggestions!

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Had the first chance to test a longer term (11 days) of drain. R1S in the garage in Georgia. No special settings. GG on but disabled at home - no events. Proximity key on but none present - all on vacation. I charged to 70% overnight as I normally do and unplugged it before I left. 11 days later it had gone from 70% to 53%, from 206 to 155 miles. The trip computer says 24.6kwh used. Interestingly says 0 miles, 0 avg speed but .19mi/kwh. Weird. Anyway, about 2.2kwh/day or 1.6-1.7% lost. The numbers are clearly higher than we want them to be but aren't concerning to me in and of themselves. My concern is what if I'm at a trailhead for a few days with GG being triggered throughout and low temps. Does that double consumption? Triple it?

The comparison and what makes this interesting to me, my R1S was sitting right beside my M3LR. It showed 70%, 248 miles when I left. On my return - after installing an update received while I was away - it showed 70%, 246 miles. I didn't see how I could use the trip computer like I did in the Rivian to compare kwh but the difference between miles and % are pretty dramatic.

Anyone with concrete suggestions (read: data based) to minimize the drain? Thanks for the suggestions!
The only way you can have less drain is shipping mode. It will use about 0.9 kWh/day. I also have an R1T and M3LR and see the same results as you. I have 12v battery monitors hooked up to all the 12v batteries and have done extensive drain testing. GG will not double the usage, surprisingly. Oddly, Tesla's sentry seems to use much more electricity than Gear Guard.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I consistently get about 1.2 kWh per day vampire drain. That's also if I've been driving it that day so it might be on the low side because things are warm after driving. About to head out on a 6 day trip so it will be parked at the airport. I'll set the trip and see what the loss is. I'm interested in new .18 update that says it reduced drain when at home and auto lock/unlock is off.

Sponsored

SaucyMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It'll prevent the lights and locks from actuating, but the presence of your phone will still wake the truck from sleep if the app is open. Every time I've walked into the garage to grab something I'll see my truck change from sleep to ready state in Home Assistant.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It'll prevent the lights and locks from actuating, but the presence of your phone will still wake the truck from sleep if the app is open. Every time I've walked into the garage to grab something I'll see my truck change from sleep to ready state in Home Assistant.
Hopefully this is the vampire drain from the .18 update (not released yet).

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I think it's 11 cents a kilowatt hour where I live....
I get it.
I just don't think it's a deal breaker.
not sure anyone is saying its a deal breaker, but it is a waste of electricity and money. you start adding up every single Rivian and they energy waste over time and it starts to matter.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Don't want to start a new thread but has anyone noticed increased on vampire drain with the latest update of dashcam? I'm on 2023.14.0
Before dashcam, the R1s is losing about 1% a day. Just noticed recently that we lost close to 3% in the span of 13 hours. this is with gearguard off and proximity off @ home.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? IMG_1906

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? IMG_1907

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Don't want to start a new thread but has anyone noticed increased on vampire drain with the latest update of dashcam? I'm on 2023.14.0
Before dashcam, the R1s is losing about 1% a day. Just noticed recently that we lost close to 3% in the span of 13 hours. this is with gearguard off and proximity off @ home.
Yes. I installed 2023.14.3 and have noticed a dramatic increase in drain while parked. Before I'd lose <1% over the course of a day but now I'm loosing upwards of 10%. No video is being saved to the SSD while it's parked, so I'm not sure why the drain has gotten so much worse.
Sponsored