Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I think it's 11 cents a kilowatt hour where I live....
I get it.
I just don't think it's a deal breaker.
Same here. While annoying, it's not a big deal for me day to day. The only time would be on a trip if there aren't any chargers around. I'll be taking such a trip in June to northern Minnesota so I guess I'll see how much it annoys me. My plan is to put it in shipping mode and hope I don't lose more than 10% in a week.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I think it's 11 cents a kilowatt hour where I live....
I get it.
I just don't think it's a deal breaker.
Yeah, 11 cents/kWh where you live... but many of us pay considerably more.... like 25 -45 cents/kWH and that really adds up.

1.5kWh/day X 365 days @ .45/kWh = $246 per year. Not insignificant, for some that's an additional full monthly electric bill.

Keep in mind 1.5kWh/day loss is average, some are seeing 2 to 2.5kWh/day loss which is ridiculous and costly.

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Same here. While annoying, it's not a big deal for me day to day. The only time would be on a trip if there aren't any chargers around. I'll be taking such a trip in June to northern Minnesota so I guess I'll see how much it annoys me. My plan is to put it in shipping mode and hope I don't lose more than 10% in a week.
You should only lose about 3-4% per week based on my shipping mode tests, assuming you have the latest update.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
13 days away, truck in garage, Gary off, no keys to trigger an awakening. 12% total loss over that period. Not great, but better than previous months for sure.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Ah yep at .11 /kw and $13 to fill up is basically driving it for free! I totally see why Vamp Drain wouldn't even be a blip on the radar. 77 cents per week in lost power. Then it's just a matter of not getting stranded while storing the thing. A week (7%) shouldn't be an issue but I'd start getting a bit nervous after a month away with varied weather. A 12V battery disconnect would be nice but the thing seems to not have any mechanical entry.

Sponsored

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ah yep at .11 /kw and $13 to fill up is basically driving it for free! I totally see why Vamp Drain wouldn't even be a blip on the radar. 77 cents per week in lost power. Then it's just a matter of not getting stranded while storing the thing. A week (7%) shouldn't be an issue but I'd start getting a bit nervous after a month away with varied weather. A 12V battery disconnect would be nice but the thing seems to not have any mechanical entry.
I'm jealous of you guys... 51 Euro cents per kwh here. So it's almost as much as US gas prices to operate my R1T!

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm sure they're probably burning coal to generate the electricity.... Got to pay to play.... Having bought gas in Europe, it's still got to be cheaper though... Although that's the land of small diesel engines... Thinking fondly of a Peugeot minivan with the 5-speed transmission rolling through Spain and France.... With six adults couple kids and a bunch of luggage... Not too many cup holders, if any, though.
Cheers
If all the advertising is true, most of the residential electricity here is wind generated. Which boggles my mind why it is so expensive!! I guess they are selling the setup/build costs. Or using Ukraine as an excuse to bleed the public dry... I pay American prices for gasoline fortunately for our honda odyssey. Definitely more cupholders (and cargo/pax space) than a Peugeot!!

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I still don't understand why Rivian is clinging to this always on state. They should implement a "Legacy" mode option where you can double tap park to instantly put the truck into deep sleep. When you get in you have to double tap park again and wait for the truck to boot back up. It's not different than ICE vehicles, you press the start button and wait for the engine to turn over and the infotainment to boot. I doubt everyone would turn the Legacy mode on but I bet a decent percentage of owners would.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I still don't understand why Rivian is clinging to this always on state. They should implement a "Legacy" mode option where you can double tap park to instantly put the truck into deep sleep. When you get in you have to double tap park again and wait for the truck to boot back up. It's not different than ICE vehicles, you press the start button and wait for the engine to turn over and the infotainment to boot. I doubt everyone would turn the Legacy mode on but I bet a decent percentage of owners would.
Because Rivian is treating their vehicles like most modern electronics, sleep mode but instant wake. Phones, laptops, TVs, etc all have vampire drain its just that it's so little you wont notice. The big difference is that you can unplug or turn them off completely unlike Rivian. Maybe someday there will be that option.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Because Rivian is treating their vehicles like most modern electronics, sleep mode but instant wake. Phones, laptops, TVs, etc all have vampire drain its just that it's so little you wont notice. The big difference is that you can unplug or turn them off completely unlike Rivian. Maybe someday there will be that option.
Oh I know, Rivian is trying to be just like Tesla. Just thinking it could be worth some development time to implement a toggle for this mode while they figure out the vampire drain issue. Other automakers still have a push-button start for their EV's. Just an idea.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Oh I know, Rivian is trying to be just like Tesla. Just thinking it could be worth some development time to implement a toggle for this mode while they figure out the vampire drain issue. Other automakers still have a push-button start for their EV's. Just an idea.
Yeah, that wold be a great option.. a "fast startup" mode like the R1's use now with a penalty of vampire loss, or a "full startup" mode that maybe takes 10 sec or so but has zero (or close to zero) vampire loss.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Yeah, that wold be a great option.. a "fast startup" mode like the R1's use now with a penalty of vampire loss, or a "full startup" mode that maybe takes 10 sec or so but has zero (or close to zero) vampire loss.
Exactly

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Monday 7am to Wednesday 10pm (so just over 63 hours or 2.5 days). This was in Denver airport with gear guard ON and everything else off. Lost 4% and 11 miles of range. Pretty reasonable all things considered with GG ON.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? IMG_2163

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? IMG_2222

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Left at Detroit Metro Friday evening to Wednesday evening with GG on. Did fully close the app. Dropped from 80% to 75%. Current software. Much better than earlier in the year when it lost 25% over 11 days. It was colder then.

BoIsADog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach-E
EVs just displace pollution in a feel good way from your garage to a power station. In my city, buying an ev today means switching from gasoline powered car to a 50% coal powered car. Whether the car leaks coal or solar, it still has quite a leak.
If you live in California, Coal represents 3% of electricity power mix, most of that is imported in.

There are only eight states that depend on coal for over 50% of electricity generation, West Virginia is the highest at 88%.

Data is from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

The grid gets cleaner every year as more renewable projects come on board. Your EV disc cleaner to operate every year, while a petrol car is at peak cleanliness the first day it rolls off the line.
Sponsored