Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150, Bronco, 812, R8, S5, Cayenne,67 Mustang
Occupation
Actuary
This sounds like your vehicle isn’t going into any form of sleep state, whether basic or deep… You have something keeping the truck awake…

I’m on the latest software both truck and app, and see 1% or less (1-3mi) over a 12-24hr period. GG off, paak closed, and I do not open the app until ready to drive again. Climate/radio/heated-cooled options all off.
Thank you for the note. I'll have to focus on that a little more. I'm very new to this process.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’m on the latest software both truck and app, and see 1% or less (1-3mi) over a 12-24hr period. GG off, paak closed, and I do not open the app until ready to drive again. Climate/radio/heated-cooled options all off.
[/QUOTE]

I am also seeing very similar drain when temps are above 70 degrees and with the above conditions.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I left the truck unplugged in the garage last night. Here is the pattern I usually see.

1679327352154.png

Ignore the short blip close to "now" as I was doing some network work.

Truck goes to sleep for about 3 hours, then wakes up and stays on the network for about an hour. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Pattern is usually similar when plugged in "idle" - when going to a full active charge it tends to chat more and stay awake while doing so.

No, this isn't checking consumption of juice. Just a data point for those looking at things.
what do you mean "stays on the network"? you have it connected to your home wifi?

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Even further proof of something grossly draining the 12v overnight. Great work! Glad that shipping mode does seem to be having a good impact though. Are you on the latest OTA when you ran that last round of tests?

Might be time to start doing some fuse tests...
Yes, latest OTA.

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

what do you mean "stays on the network"? you have it connected to your home wifi?
Naturally. How else is it going to binge watch old WKRP episodes? Duh...

Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Correct. Truck is on my home WiFi and it stays active as a client. When it is asleep, it isn’t active as a client. The screenshot I had shows when it is awake at an active client (green bars) vs asleep and inactive

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
...for me shipping mode will make it only consume 0.1kwh overnight instead of the usual 1.2 to 1.5 over a 12 hour-ish overnight period of mine.
So after the last update "shipping mode" is actually making an impact? In the past it literally did nothing meaningful.

I'm currently at 137mi range, it's 9:30AM NY time... just put my R1T in shipping mode. Will not be using it today, never had PAAK setup, will not open the app and my Fob is kept in a Faraday box in the house. Will open the truck 9:30AM tomorrow morning to see the results of shipping mode since I updated my SW last week.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Pre-update shipping mode definitely helped due to it shutting off sensor heaters for those of us in colder climates. In the latest update that bug seems to have been squashed so now vampire is less but still there.
Anecdotally shipping mode does seem to make it sleep for deeper and longer, if you get what I'm saying. The reason I say that is when i get in the vehicle it sometimes totally reboots the computer and if it doesn't do that it just generally takes longer to wake everything.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
This is from the most recent owners Manual which was released last week (3/27/2023) regarding Shipping mode:

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 1680623424635

With the above in mind, I'm a bit skeptical that it will reduce Vampire Drain from 1.5kWh/day to 0.1kWh overnight as one poster mentioned above. But, I will give it a try...

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Anyone notice that the outage yesterday affected vampire drain in a good way? On monday AM before the outage - topped off (on a timer from 5am to 630am) - and my usage to get back to 70% was 5.5kWh. Today after the outage my usage to get back to 70% (didnt drive anywhere) was 2.3 kWH

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Over the last 48 hours with waking up the truck a few times to get in and grab stuff I lost 5%, 16 miles and the trip meter er by used indicated 3.5kwh used.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
So after the last update "shipping mode" is actually making an impact? In the past it literally did nothing meaningful.

I'm currently at 137mi range, it's 9:30AM NY time... just put my R1T in shipping mode. Will not be using it today, never had PAAK setup, will not open the app and my Fob is kept in a Faraday box in the house. Will open the truck 9:30AM tomorrow morning to see the results of shipping mode since I updated my SW last week.
I'm not sure if the updates did anything, I've tried shipping mode twice and had the same results both times. I've done 3 ota updates since I got mine in February. I'm not an early adopter I bought mine with 500 miles on it.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
This is from the most recent owners Manual which was released last week (3/27/2023) regarding Shipping mode:

1680623424635.png

With the above in mind, I'm a bit skeptical that it will reduce Vampire Drain from 1.5kWh/day to 0.1kWh overnight as one poster mentioned above. But, I will give it a try...
That was me i think cuz thats why i saw on mine. I would try it again, we might not be all having the same drain causes which could explain why some people would have shipping mode success and some not. I don't care about the drain enough to always park with shipping mode I just tried it to see if my drain would go away and it did. I also did it without it being plugged in and even though it says you can keep the keys in the car I locked mine each time I did it. I'm in a colder climate than NY but each time I've monitored mine I've done it at my house in my garage. My garage is insulated but not heated, it doesn't drop below 40f that I've ever noticed.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T, 23 Sienna
Occupation
Retired
If you check your bluetooth connections, your phone is constantly connecting to your Rivian sensors. I am not sure if turning off bluetooth would help battery drain. I left the bluetooth connections screen on and there is quite a lot of activity where it connects and disconnects constantly while the app is closed.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? unnamed

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
If you check your bluetooth connections, your phone is constantly connecting to your Rivian sensors. I am not sure if turning off bluetooth would help battery drain. I left the bluetooth connections screen on and there is quite a lot of activity where it connects and disconnects constantly while the app is closed.

unnamed.jpg
Probably would help, I think even if you turn proximity off at home it's still powering all those Bluetooth antennas the same as any other time. Most cars use RFID for unlocking and proximity but that wouldn't work for a phone.
Sponsored

Last edited: