shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

CC182945-051B-4C47-89DE-C42E1AD750BF.jpeg

Reno airport, outside, gear guard ON, temps ranging from mid 30s to single digits overnight. Unplugged. Shot below is 3 days, 4 hours later. 10 miles or about 4% loss.
8AF859D6-9D84-4F94-BFD6-4AE4664CF185.png
Wow. That’s how much I lost in 24 hours in 30 degree F warmer temps.
Sponsored

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
Interesting. I left my truck at the airport for 3.5 days in ~20F temps. I checked once about 48 hours in (11% loss) and again when I landed (additional 4% loss). This is consistent with the ~4% daily loss others are seeing...

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
CC182945-051B-4C47-89DE-C42E1AD750BF.jpeg

Reno airport, outside, gear guard ON, temps ranging from mid 30s to single digits overnight. Unplugged. Shot below is 3 days, 4 hours later. 10 miles or about 4% loss.
8AF859D6-9D84-4F94-BFD6-4AE4664CF185.png
4% loss with gear guard ON is acceptable to me, my Tesla would burn thru more than that. That’s about 1.3% per day with it on. Not bad.

ryanpei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Ford F150 Hybrid
I'm at around 1.5% per day based on a trip last week when all airport chargers were full.
Left Wed at 3pm unplugged at 115miles range - 34degree ambient
Back Mon at 1am with 98 miles range - 31 degree ambient
16 miles in 105h = 3.41 miles per day.

Here is a variable I can't control: the initial reading was obtained after driving 50miles - warm batteries, warm truck etc.. The final reading was taken with a cold vehicle and batteries.

Gear guard off. App quit after checking initial and not turned on until I landed (*note was still at 98miles when I got to the car)

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day IMG_8864

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day IMG_8865

Last edited:

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I'm at around 1.5% per day based on a trip last week when all airport chargers were full.
Left Wed at 3pm unplugged at 115miles range - 34degree ambient
Back Mon at 1am with 98 miles range - 31 degree ambient
16 miles in 105h = 3.41 miles per day.

Here is a variable I can't control: the initial reading was obtained after driving 50miles - warm batteries, warm truck etc.. The final reading was taken with a cold vehicle and batteries.

Gear guard off. App quit after checking initial and not turned on until I landed (*note was still at 98% when I got to the car)

IMG_8864.jpg

IMG_8865.jpg
I do think there’s something to this. I have also noticed discrepancies between what’s on the screen in the truck versus what shows up on the phone (e.g. checking in a few hours after departing the cab where mileage/% have gone UP by a few ticks…)

Sponsored

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

In other other news, I found this in the release notes for an upcoming software update.

I hope it improves the vampire drain for at least some of us!

• Software containment for front trunk latch sensor issue resulting in reduced sleep and increased overnight range loss.
So I actually just heard back from the software developer executive from Reddit!

He said he has a team review my vehicle logs and that it’s the frunk sensor preventing sleep. He hopes the next OTA will fix it and asked that I send him more information after the OTA is installed.

I’m absolutely shocked, delighted, honored, grateful, and impressed he took the time to research my concern and respond.

Again, I hope the imminent OTA fixes things for many of us.

It’s really good to know Rivian truly seems to be working hard to improve things behind the scenes. I’m sure they’re very aware of many of our complaints and are actively working on them before publicly acknowledging them.

Will report back after installing the OTA.

Again, cannot thank and praise the Rivian developer enough. Amazing.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
So I actually just heard back from the software developer executive from Reddit!

He said he has a team review my vehicle logs and that it’s the frunk sensor preventing sleep. He hopes the next OTA will fix it and asked that I send him more information after the OTA is installed.

I’m absolutely shocked, delighted, honored, grateful, and impressed he took the time to research my concern and respond.

Again, I hope the imminent OTA fixes things for many of us.

It’s really good to know Rivian truly seems to be working hard to improve things behind the scenes. I’m sure they’re very aware of many of our complaints and are actively working on them before publicly acknowledging them.

Will report back after installing the OTA.

Again, cannot thank and praise the Rivian developer enough. Amazing.
I had the same experience over at reddit. I made a post about my charging issues with the battery overheating. Wassym at reddit and his engineering team looked at it and said that through my logs I made they found issues about the battery over heating.

I'd like to take credit for fixing that issue, regardless if it's true or not 😊

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Almost 48 hours in 50 degree garage. Looks like I'm a 3% / 9 miles a day lost truck. Hope the new update helps.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day Screenshot_20230125_235127_Rivian

roberttatefan

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, S7, Exocet, JGC
Congratulations! Your story was wildly misconstrued and used as anti-ev propaganda by the Washington Examiner.

The phantom drain thing is a real environmental and potentially usage problem though. Rivian needs to address this.
Screenshot_20230124-165401.png
I saw this as well. It even prompted me to write them a comment via their Contact Us page. I have low expectations that they'll redact that article, which is littered with complete misinterpretations. I legitimately can't tell if it's intentionally misleading to support their well-documented political leanings, or simply the complete lack of editorial scrutiny that now passes for "news" at some of these outlets.

Sponsored

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
Like many others I've been experiencing a fair amount of daily vampire drain in my R1T. As I posted earlier in this thread - on a trip recently I left my truck at the airport and lost an average of 4-4.5% per day sitting idle in ~20F temps.

A few days ago we got a bit of snow and I noticed something I haven't noticed before. It snowed the night before and I left it plugged in, charging but with climate control off. When I came to clear the truck off in the morning before turning on climate control/warm up, I saw the attached. Looks like my truck has a heater for the HA cameras/sensors going non stop. Anybody else run into this?

Seth

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day 20230128_074120

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Like many others I've been experiencing a fair amount of daily vampire drain in my R1T. As I posted earlier in this thread - on a trip recently I left my truck at the airport and lost an average of 4-4.5% per day sitting idle in ~20F temps.

A few days ago we got a bit of snow and I noticed something I haven't noticed before. It snowed the night before and I left it plugged in, charging but with climate control off. When I came to clear the truck off in the morning before turning on climate control/warm up, I saw the attached. Looks like my truck has a heater for the HA cameras/sensors going non stop. Anybody else run into this?

Seth

20230128_074120.jpg
Yes. Everyone at this point. They (Rivian) say it shouldn't, but it seems like a universal issue.

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
Yes. Everyone at this point.
Sorry - everybody is seeting their Highway assist heater running 24/7?! I'm aware that vampire drain is an issue experienced by many and have posted accordingly. My question is specifically with the HA heat.

Previously (early 2022) there were posts showing thermal activity (captured by an IR camera) on the cameras showing that they were operational even if GG was inactive. I don't remember seeing this on HA, but it's very possible that I missed it.

Seth

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Some people have posted around 4-5% and others have posted 4-5kWh per 24hrs (rounding up.)
For about 120 kWh at 100%, give or take charging losses (I think about 5%) there's a wide range of losses.
For simplicity, 5kWh per 24hr is 5000Wh/24h = 208W. 120V/208W = 1.7A

If that's correct, the R1 seems to be about the same power consumption as a PS5.

As ever, what I'd really like is to be able to control the vehicle behavior with a touchscreen page or the app with a page full of all detailed settings and options:
(1) home garage : turn off all systems, turn off gear guard, waste not."
(2) airport : full safety mode, tamper detection, vehicle movement, sound and visual movement awareness, no need for cabin movement, waking up every so often to report on status over cellular, instant wake and send distress call in the event of a breach (broken glass, vehicle body opening, jacking or towing, wheel theft attempt, etc.) That seems to be "Gary Mode" and 1.7A seems satisfactory, though I think the windshield camera heater could be told to not bother in cold weather.
(3) shutdown : a hardware shutdown condition that can maintain the battery health (perhaps cycling on every day or week or whatever the battery needs to balance the cells safely for the given ambient temp, etc.) but would presumably require time for the battery to be brought up to operating condition, ready to move the vehicle.

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
Yes. Everyone at this point. They (Rivian) say it shouldn't, but it seems like a universal issue.
Just found another thread on this. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Sponsored