Sponsored

Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
One would hope, but it currently seems a fair number of folks here are being told this is “normal.”

I have a few ideas on how to proceed. I actually did open up my Lightning invitation to order and I just don’t think that truck is for me - especially with the current prices.

For now, when I get back I’m going to try shipping mode both plugged in and unplugged to gather some data. I’m also going to turn off WiFi and take the battery out of my key fob. My taillights blink intermittently while the R1T is parked in my carport at home. I mentioned it to service and guess what? It’s “normal.” They said if the fob is within a whopping 100 feet of the truck that such behavior is normal. I even put my key fob in an RFID blocking box and the blinking still occurs. Seems odd to me that Rivian’s engineers can’t program smarter or more efficient behavior.

I’m open to other ideas if people have any.
Ya it’s not “normal” compared to Virtually every other EV and it’s up to us to make sure Rivian doesn’t consider this normal. It’s certainly not normal on my Tesla.
Sponsored

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Based on current production alone, there is a waste of 21,000,000 kw per year due to vampire drain. That’s unacceptable.
You would need 18 flux-capacitors just to power our vampire drain.

1.21 GIGAWATTS!

Rivian better start ramping production on flux-capacitors alongside the R1S/R1T...

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day b2tf-back

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Yours should be less while unplugged, I don’t think the vehicle will sleep when plugged in.
Plugged in and sleeping (and still draining…)

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day 8D14B0A2-6EFA-4F24-8B57-3BE5C2F00D3E

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
You would need 18 flux-capacitors just to power our vampire drain.

1.21 GIGAWATTS!

Rivian better start ramping production on flux-capacitors alongside the R1S/R1T...

b2tf-back.gif
When you put it that way..wow. Ugh. How is that good for environment.

Reactions: Rad

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Plugged in and sleeping (and still draining…)

8D14B0A2-6EFA-4F24-8B57-3BE5C2F00D3E.jpeg
Interesting that you have the wake vehicle button at top. I’ve only seen that once and it only lasted a few minutes. Makes me think my vehicle is not sleeping. Is there anything you did to get that button?

Sponsored

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Interesting data point: my truck has been at service and I saw they were driving it yesterday and when it parked it was at 50% and it’s still at 50% almost 20 hours later.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
They’ll fix or eliminate this with an OTA update - you can’t tell me the engineers aren’t working on this right now. (Rivian) Hass to know about it. The only question is when and how long is it gonna take?
People have noticed it and have been complaining about for over a full year now... time to get serious and address it in a meaningful manner.
For a supposedly "green" company the amount of energy literally wasted on nothing is beyond disappointing and "should" go against everything they stand for.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

You all seeing weird inconsistencies with the percentage? I’ve seen it jump up a couple percent after I started driving. Yesterday I measured drain while unplugged overnight, it was 1.5kWh (if I multiply by 2 since it seems like that is the “total energy” bug) as measured by trip computer, but was down 3% (which is closer to 5kWh). Not sure if the percentage just doesn’t always keep up, or the total energy calculation doesn’t Include all energy used?

Deleted member 9927

If the Tonneau fix was a solar panel then that would solve two issues in one hit :) - not about to hold my breath though.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I would be willing to pay for that creative solution.

Does anybody know how much electricity could be generated per day with a 4' x 4.5' solar panel(s) bed cover? My guess is about 1-2 kWh per day.

I know a hemispherical solar roof will be optional on higher end trims of the upcoming Fisker Ocean.

Last edited:

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I would be willing to pay for that creative solution.

Does anybody know how much electricity could be generated per day with a 4' x 4.5' solar panel(s) bed cover? My guess is about 1-2 kWh per day.

I know a hemispherical solar roof will be optional on higher end trims of the upcoming Fisker Ocean.
you might be able to fit 1 standard solar panel on it. Those are usually 5.5' x 3'. Might give you 2 kWh in the summer, 1 kWh in winter. Not much to do anything with.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I think leaving it plugged in especially when cold (<50F) is not ideal, because the truck needs to warm the battery in order to be able to charge it at all, but since you're charging 1-2% at a time most of that heating is wasted over a long period instead of just for a few hours while it charges a significant amount.

With the remote control I think you can save a bunch of energy by suspending the charge until it actually needs it and then triggering it again. Kind of a silly workaround, but it's more understandable than some of the other idle drain. Really it shouldn't need to charge much at all when unattended but that's a known problem...

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
1st full 24 hours in 60 degree garage. Didn't check app except once as had to make a service ticket for 2 small items. Went from 70% to 67% l lost 8 miles. Disappointing for sure.

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Here's my latest, unlocked, sitting in my garage, gear guard off at home, bluetooth off on my phone and the key across the house, just to be sure.
Monday 9pm: 67% | 196 miles
Tuesday 7am: 65% | 192 miles
Tuesday 5:30pm: 64% | 188 miles
Tuesday 9pm: 63% | 187 miles
Wednesday 8am: 62% | 184 miles

Think I'm going to continue testing with turning gear guard entirely off, using shipping mode and locking it, maybe 1 of those will help.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Another data point: My loaner R1T, sitting outside in 40-50F temps for days, no phone key, no connection to home WiFi and gear guard off is averaging -1.9% per 24 hours.
Sponsored