Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Over a 24 hr period in my detached garage ~50 degF, my truck went from 60% to 60%, so less than 1%. Gear guard off and app on in the background, not checking in. I didn’t note to write down how many “miles” range changed though unfortunately.
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Something's wrong with Gear Guard off at home for me, I think it happened in the last update. It seems like every other update, the truck stops seeing "home" as my actual garage.

Half the time, the navigation automatically stops when I turn in my driveway, half the time it wants me to drive further.

It would be one thing if it was always wrong, but the fact that it switches back and forth after an update is really frustrating. They really need to let us set "home" as a GPS location, not just an address.

At any rate, I think this is what's caused the vampire drain on my truck to jump from 1.8%/day to nearly 4% or more.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

So I’ve been away for a while too, seems like over 265 hours since my last trip. 48A@240VAC.
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day 1673755850943

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day 1673755879791

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
Checking the app can also wake the truck up. Then If you leave your HVAV system on it will run while the truck is woken up. You keep checking the app. The more it runs. It's kinda makes sense

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
A service representative just called me back, said he spoke with a battery tech, and that this level of drain is “normal.”

I said there is no way this is “normal,” asked to talk to a supervisor, who then scheduled an appointment.
Unfortunately the service guy told me the same thing. 1% every 12 hours and he recommended I keep it plugged in if I leave it at the airport for a week. Cool, I’m sure there are tons of random outlets I can leave my mobile charger plugged into, unsecured.

Sponsored

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

FWIW, as a test, I let mine sit unplugged, outside for almost 10 days while I was out of town. Temps were in single digits Fahrenheit much of the time. It went from 85% to 82% during that time frame.
I've been researching extensively and never seen anyone with this little vampire drain. Are you talking about a Rivian here?? Lowest I have read about is ~1% per 24h

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Checking the app can also wake the truck up. Then If you leave your HVAV system on it will run while the truck is woken up. You keep checking the app. The more it runs. It's kinda makes sense
Makes sense, but not the case for me. I always turn Climate completely off when parked. Can't remember the last time I even had Gear Guard on. I lose 2-4% a day, with the average closer to low 2's. I consciously avoid checking the app no more than once a day and some days don't check at all.

I had been leaving it plugged in and manually stopping the charge which means it won't start charging automatically when it drops. I thought the drain worsened when I started doing that, so I unplugged it yesterday. Still lost 2% in less than 24 hours.

Reactions: Rad

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
The whole electrical energy distribution system has various loss contributors, much like the system of distributing gasoline from refineries into our fuel tanks. I hope these systems become more efficient as the grid is built out for more and more EVs.
The difference is the owner is not paying directly for those losses in anything but the Rivian. I would be a little ok with this amount of waste if it was true of all EVs. It's clearly not and is a Rivian specific problem. As a company, they need to acknowledge it and explain it. Ideally fix it, or at least give an owner the option to accept it or opt out of whatever is causing it, even if that means sacrificing some other perceived benefit.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Makes sense, but not the case for me. I always turn Climate completely off when parked. Can't remember the last time I even had Gear Guard on. I lose 2-4% a day, with the average closer to low 2's. I consciously avoid checking the app no more than once a day and some days don't check at all.

I had been leaving it plugged in and manually stopping the charge which means it won't start charging automatically when it drops. I thought the drain worsened when I started doing that, so I unplugged it yesterday. Still lost 2% in less than 24 hours.
Seems high to me.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I've been researching extensively and never seen anyone with this little vampire drain. Are you talking about a Rivian here?? Lowest I have read about is ~1% per 24h
Yes, my R1T. Don't know what to tell you, but that's what happened. Not gonna jinx myself, so...

Sponsored

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Unfortunately the service guy told me the same thing. 1% every 12 hours and he recommended I keep it plugged in if I leave it at the airport for a week. Cool, I’m sure there are tons of random outlets I can leave my mobile charger plugged into, unsecured.
So, 2% per 24 hours? Depending on how that percentage is calculated it’s either

2% of 135 kWh = 2.7 kWh per day

or

2% of 125 kWh usable = 2.5 kWh per day

My car still seems high at what seems to be 4.57 kWh per day - assuming these numbers are correct.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
So, 2% per 24 hours? Depending on how that percentage is calculated it’s either

2% of 135 kWh = 2.7 kWh per day

or

2% of 125 kWh usable = 2.5 kWh per day

My car still seems high at what seems to be 4.57 kWh per day - assuming these numbers are correct.
Yours should be less while unplugged, I don’t think the vehicle will sleep when plugged in.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yours should be less while unplugged, I don’t think the vehicle will sleep when plugged in.
I haven’t logged into the app that much while away, but I have seen the “Wake up vehicle” option in the upper right while plugged in.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
They’ll fix or eliminate this with an OTA update - you can’t tell me the engineers aren’t working on this right now. Rivian has to know about it. The only question is when and how long is it gonna take?

Last edited:
OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

They’ll fix or eliminate this with an OTA update - you can’t tell me the engineers aren’t working on this right now. (Rivian) Hass to know about it. The only question is when and how long is it gonna take?
One would hope, but it currently seems a fair number of folks here are being told this is “normal.”

I have a few ideas on how to proceed. I actually did open up my Lightning invitation to order and I just don’t think that truck is for me - especially with the current prices.

For now, when I get back I’m going to try shipping mode both plugged in and unplugged to gather some data. I’m also going to turn off WiFi and take the battery out of my key fob. My taillights blink intermittently while the R1T is parked in my carport at home. I mentioned it to service and guess what? It’s “normal.” They said if the fob is within a whopping 100 feet of the truck that such behavior is normal. I even put my key fob in an RFID blocking box and the blinking still occurs. Seems odd to me that Rivian’s engineers can’t program smarter or more efficient behavior.

I’m open to other ideas if people have any.
Sponsored