Sponsored

Vampire Drain - 4.57 kWh/day, 8 miles rated range per day

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Like many others I've been experiencing a fair amount of daily vampire drain in my R1T. As I posted earlier in this thread - on a trip recently I left my truck at the airport and lost an average of 4-4.5% per day sitting idle in ~20F temps.

A few days ago we got a bit of snow and I noticed something I haven't noticed before. It snowed the night before and I left it plugged in, charging but with climate control off. When I came to clear the truck off in the morning before turning on climate control/warm up, I saw the attached. Looks like my truck has a heater for the HA cameras/sensors going non stop. Anybody else run into this?

Seth

20230128_074120.jpg
It's not suppose to apparently as it means it's not sleeping, but mine definitely keeps that heater on. Snow this morning and big empty spot there and ice down the window.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Sorry - everybody is seeting their Highway assist heater running 24/7?! I'm aware that vampire drain is an issue experienced by many and have posted accordingly. My question is specifically with the HA heat.

Previously (early 2022) there were posts showing thermal activity (captured by an IR camera) on the cameras showing that they were operational even if GG was inactive. I don't remember seeing this on HA, but it's very possible that I missed it.

Seth
That camera is used for everything from HA to collision avoidance and ACC. Probably GG as well. And it isn't that it always has a heater on, but that it is always on and generating heat, as you can see from your photos.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I just received my truck back from the SC this week. Here is the official SC response to my concerns regarding high vampire battery drain;

”Technician performed test based on the time stamp you provided the vehicle is operating as designed. A vehicle loses around 3.2% SOC, about 9 mI (14 km) per day, and at lower temperatures (below zero) the range loss may be as high as about 12 mI. (20 km) every 24 hrs. This is due to many factors and is normal”

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

I just received my truck back from the SC this week. Here is the official SC response to my concerns regarding high vampire battery drain;

”Technician performed test based on the time stamp you provided the vehicle is operating as designed. A vehicle loses around 3.2% SOC, about 9 mI (14 km) per day, and at lower temperatures (below zero) the range loss may be as high as about 12 mI. (20 km) every 24 hrs. This is due to many factors and is normal”
Will you please post a photo/screenshot of their response?

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

That’s over 4kWh a day. It may be normal for Rivian but it’s an absurd outlier when it comes to vampire drain in EVs. That’s about an order of magnitude higher than the vampire drain in a Model Y.

Sponsored

Deleted member 9927

What I'm surprised about is that Rivian has not pre emptied this. This is going to blow up in its face. 4Kw X 365 X 10,000 vehicles per year + 4Kw X365 X 25,000 next year (per year) - I can see the headline writers now. "how green is your EV" - "EVs contributes to green house gas even when not moving"... 50 Million Kws wasted in 2 years....

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
This may be the #1 reason I choose to keep my F-150 Lightning. I can leave it sit for a week and it loses maybe a mile of range. I said it before, the features (Lariat) honestly suck compared to the Rivian. The Rivian has a MUCH nicer interior IMO. Much nicer tech too. I work from home, but am often moving truckloads of stuff, which has me idle for days on end but needing a truck when I do travel. I did have a Rivian FE for a few months, that vampire drain is a bitch.

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
That’s over 4kWh a day. It may be normal for Rivian but it’s an absurd outlier when it comes to vampire drain in EVs. That’s about an order of magnitude higher than the vampire drain in a Model Y.
I don't know but my MX is about 2-3 Kwh too.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Like many others I've been experiencing a fair amount of daily vampire drain in my R1T. As I posted earlier in this thread - on a trip recently I left my truck at the airport and lost an average of 4-4.5% per day sitting idle in ~20F temps.

A few days ago we got a bit of snow and I noticed something I haven't noticed before. It snowed the night before and I left it plugged in, charging but with climate control off. When I came to clear the truck off in the morning before turning on climate control/warm up, I saw the attached. Looks like my truck has a heater for the HA cameras/sensors going non stop. Anybody else run into this?

Seth

20230128_074120.jpg
I have no idea if this actually happens or is monitored seriously, but I have spoken with my guide and they have a system to report issues directly to the software team. Assuming you had GG off, I would suggest you send this picture to your guide and ask that it be sent to the software team through that system or to Wassym Bensaid. This seems like it would be an easy software fix.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I don't know but my MX is about 2-3 Kwh too.
If your Model X is really losing 2-3 kWh per day, there may be something wrong with it. If it's under warranty, get Tesla to check it out. Tesla's guidance is that you shouldn't lose more than 1% a day. For a 100D, that's about 1 kWh. Our 2018 Model X loses about 1-2 miles per day or about .3 kWh which is still on the high side for EVs but a far cry from what OP is reporting. It will lose more in the summer when parked outside due to automatic cabin venting. Your profile shows you have an Ioniq 5. Does it show any vampire drain overnight?

Sponsored

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If your Model X is really losing 2-3 kWh per day, there may be something wrong with it. If it's under warranty, get Tesla to check it out. Tesla's guidance is that you shouldn't lose more than 1% a day. For a 100D, that's about 1 kWh. Our 2018 Model X loses about 1-2 miles per day or about .3 kWh which is still on the high side for EVs but a far cry from what OP is reporting. It will lose more in the summer when parked outside due to automatic cabin venting. Your profile shows you have an Ioniq 5. Does it show any vampire drain overnight?
Ioniq 5 is zero vampire drain....as a matter of fact one of the 2 I have has been sitting at body shop for 4 months with close to zero drain. Bolt was the same.

My X has been sitting for 10 days and lost 38 miles which seems typical. 4 miles a day is about 1.5+Kwh per day. It's usually worse when I actually use the car or I am near the car.

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Seth

20230128_074120.jpg
I saw this this morning as well for the first time! but again this might have been the first time I have had snow on truck .
Sponsored