First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Call tesla and see if they can sell you the J1772 lead for your wall connector. They offered them with this connector for a while.
I did try reaching out to Tesla but go nowhere. Thanks!
Not likekly you'll have much luck with this. Go with the standard unit and use a Tesla to J1772 adapter. Keep it in your truck when not using it at home or get 2.
Sponsored

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I have two Tesla Gen3 wall connectors currently on two separate 50a circuits (would like to go to 60a in time possibly). It’s early days, but I am experiencing mixed results with charging the R1T with the Lectron 48a adapter. Initially, the R1T charged at about 15miles/hr without issue (over about 4 hours) but lately I have been receiving an error when trying to charge, wall connector ‘cycling’ and ultimately R1T port turning red and no charging. I have seen the ‘wait 30 seconds after attaching adapter before connecting to vehicle’ tip mentioned, but that has not changed anything.

Last edited:

paco180

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I’m sure you done this, but just Incase. Did you go to the settings on HPWC Gen3 and open it up to other vehicles? You do it through its network ip address.

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
So I talked to a Plaid owner today at coffee and cars. He showed me his L2 charging data at home- crazy 46 miles per hour on a 60a breaker @ the 48a max. I'm only pulling 22miles per hour with the Rivian charger. What's the deal?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So I talked to a Plaid owner today at coffee and cars. He showed me his L2 charging data at home- crazy 46 miles per hour on a 60a breaker @ the 48a max. I'm only pulling 22miles per hour with the Rivian charger. What's the deal?
Model S Plaid has an EPA estimate of 33kWh per 100 miles, or 330W/mi. Rivian R1T is 48kWh per 100 miles, or 480W/mi.

48A @ 240V = 11,520W.

11,520W / 330W/mi = ~35 miles per hour for the Model S Plaid.
11,520W / 480W/mi = ~24 miles per hour for the R1T.

I doubt that owner is actually getting 46 miles per hour range gained while charging their Model S Plaid. That would mean an average consumption (after charging losses) of only 250W/mi. The Model 3 Long Range gets an EPA estimate of 250W/mi, and that's a smaller, lighter, and more efficient vehicle than the Plaid. Tesla is also infamous for their over-optimistic EPA estimates, so that's another mark against the plausibility of the numbers you were told.

But even with my "doubt" on their 46 miles per hour claim... It is a fact that a Model S Plaid should get considerably more range gained per hour charging at the same current/voltage compared to the R1T.

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C8 Corvette, Cayenne, Mk8 GTI, KTM 350-XCFW
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

Yep, I kept my Tesla mobile connector and wide array of NEMA adapters, and have a TeslaTap Mini so I can plug my Rivian into anything...it works great!
I’m about to order a TeslaTap MINI 60A. On their website they say that it may not work with the “large Rivian ground pin”. Could you confirm which version of TeslaTap Mini you have that it works for you? Thanks.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I’m sure you done this, but just Incase. Did you go to the settings on HPWC Gen3 and open it up to other vehicles? You do it through its network ip address.
Thanks for this. Unfortunately, I don’t have Wi-Fi yet at this location so have not connected to the Tesla connectors so maybe that is the issue although I am confused because if the initial successful charge of the R1T.

paco180

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Thanks for this. Unfortunately, I don’t have Wi-Fi yet at this location so have not connected to the Tesla connectors so maybe that is the issue although I am confused because if the initial successful charge of the R1T.
The Tesla v3 HPWC, has its own wifi, in the install, there was an ip address need to connect. If you use an iPhone or iPad and refresh the wifi it might show, if not recycle by pressing the “button on handle, and holding” until the charger reclycle. On the side of the charger there is a QR code that you can scan.

Sponsored

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
The Tesla v3 HPWC, has its own wifi, in the install, there was an ip address need to connect. If you use an iPhone or iPad and refresh the wifi it might show, if not recycle by pressing the “button on handle, and holding” until the charger reclycle. On the side of the charger there is a QR code that you can scan.
Thanks. I will connect next time I’m there. Turns out that the default mode out of the box is supposed to be ‘all cars’ vs the ‘Tesla only’ option, so that should not have been the issue. I need to talk to Tesla when I’m at the chargers.

paco180

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Default is “Tesla only” on my chargers, I have 3

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Default is “Tesla only” on my chargers, I have 3
Hmmm, ok, I was just reading from the manual where it said default was ‘all cars’ but when I connect, all will be clear.
Rivian R1T R1S Using a 48a Tesla wall connector to charge an R1T 1659988841702

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I finally got connected to the Tesla units and realized the default amperage setting was 60a. Changed that to 50a and from that point on the R1T charged fine with the Lectron adapter.

André

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Sprinter, Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Finances
I’m about to order a TeslaTap MINI 60A. On their website they say that it may not work with the “large Rivian ground pin”. Could you confirm which version of TeslaTap Mini you have that it works for you? Thanks.
I see that your question wasn’t answered. I have the same question and would really appreciate if current owners of R1T using the TeslaTap MINI could say if this is correct. As per TeslaTap website: We have noticed that many of the Rivian and RAV4 EVs have an oversized ground pin and the TeslaTap MINI's are not compatible, you will need to use the TeslaTap 80 High Power.
Sponsored