Sponsored

Use of the empty space allocated to non existing tonneau cover?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I agree that all designs take up space, but there Is space available now. Also it’s worth noting that something like a trifold is much less cumbersome on a full bed because of the extra space to start with. What I primarily use my truck space for is taking my household garbage to the dump.

My large garbage can wouldn’t fit in the bed if I had a tri fold tonneau taking up space in there. Now I’d be looking at taking the cover completely off at least once a week which would get extremely old and would make me move to a larger truck, pay the 50 bucks a month to get private trash collection or just run without a tonneau at all.

On its face it doesn’t seem like a huge issue, but I bought this specific truck with these things in mind. I also really like the C8 vette. If I was getting trash collection and I just needed to borrow a truck sporadically I could make that work, and a full size truck doesn’t fit in my indoor garage which ads parking as an issue.

Basically this seemingly minor issue with the tonneau cascades into a major pain in my ass and could have potentially lead to me making an entirely different purchasing decision. For example if I didn’t have my truck already with the powered tonneau I would not be taking delivery on a truck devoid of the tonneau.

I love my truck, but I don’t off-road at all. My truck has left sport mode a handful of times since I bought it. The added functionality of the bed for garbage was really the major factor for me going to the R1 over a mid life crisis mobile like a C8 or some other ridiculously limited use performance vehicle.
I get it. We all have certain things in mind when we consider and decide to purchase a vehicle, and either those things we wanted work out or they don’t. I would bet more than half of the Rivians purchased never see an off road trail at all and that tells you people are buying them for all different reasons - even a garbage truck capable of smoking most performance cars:)

I really hope Rivian’s redesigned powered tonneau is the best solution and if proves good enough I would even have it installed in mine too. I love the idea of it. I just didn’t have any faith in that first version at all. Other than having a fiberglass topper on one truck (which I didn’t really like), I’ve never even had a cover for a truck bed so I’m mostly in the camp of it not being make or break for me either way.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Based on what my guide told me, this is not going to happen. The manual tonneau cover will be 4 interlocking panels. They will be in the tracks or not attached to the truck at all. There is no way to access the bed of the truck without dropping the tailgate with the manual tonneau cover. There will be no way to use gear guard cables while keeping all 4 panels in place. You can remove one panel and put it in the gear tunnel, but that would leave 1/4 of your truck bed exposed to weather and people. I believe this design to be a mistake and the least innovative solution possible from arguably the most innovative truck on the road, but it is what we are left with until aftermarket options come up. I hope someone comes up with a tonneau that can retract and be secure if slightly open so we can use gear guard cables and have secured storage, but we will see.
I have no idea (seemingly no one does for sure) what they will finally release. I’m open minded to all possible solutions whether they be the Rivian manual cover, the redesigned power tonneau, or some aftermarket version that accomplishes what you described. I do sympathize with their situation somewhat because no matter what they produce it will not please everyone. But they got themselves into this mess with that terrible first power tonneau.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I like the idea of some additional small storage. Could be used for storing crossbars, for people trying to over achieve on aero, or miscellaneous stuff like ratchet straps etc.
Since you mentioned ratchet straps, I have 4 in a bag stowed in my spare tire with the jack & tools easily. I flipped the composite base & tools over which frees up a decent amount of space. Actually surprised Rivian didn't think of this to gain more spare in the spare...

TimJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6
I have no idea (seemingly no one does for sure) what they will finally release. I’m open minded to all possible solutions whether they be the Rivian manual cover, the redesigned power tonneau, or some aftermarket version that accomplishes what you described. I do sympathize with their situation somewhat because no matter what they produce it will not please everyone. But they got themselves into this mess with that terrible first power tonneau.
I totally agree. I am adding to the speculation based on what my guide told me. However since Rivian is being less than totally transparent, this forum seems to be the home for all of us to express what Rivian has told us. Who knows what they will ultimately come up with and release. I just am disappointed with what my guide told me. This sums it up better than I ever could have…

Totally agree. When I can duplicate the functionality of your tonneau solution with a sheet of plywood and a circular saw your solution sucks.
Perfect!

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

so from the get go they had the powered and manual tonneau cover planned. we know manual was planned for the Explore trim, which they axed. its disappointing if the design they had in mind for the manual was that you'd have to remove and store in the gear tunnel. they should have figured out a way to be able to slide it manually into the same storage area as the powered cover. but then maybe thats where the challenge was, they couldnt figure out a design that allows both the powered and manual to use the same storage area.

we are getting the price reduced for not having the powered tonneau but not sure it makes sense to buy the manual cover from Rivian. im sure aftermarket will be cheaper and there might not be any benefit to buy from Rivian.

OP
OP
NorCalRivianFan
First Name
Lothar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quad R1T , VW ID4, Tacoma
Occupation
Project Manager
Agreed, if the Rivian manual cover does not include use of that storage space there are likely many other more cost efficient and maybe even more practical products available.
I plan to buy some plywood next weekend with some paint for less than 100$ and get a temporary cheap fix which will still be able to have secured and dry storage in truck bed.
Still like to understand whether there is way to open that space without breaking it....
Sponsored