Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
My wife loves bass. She has wanted an upgrade in every vehicle she's had.
The R1S is actually awesome for upgrading. The sub in the side is a standard size 10" sub and the box is quite large.

I had an Alpine sub already that fit perfect. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-CR4QZ5tkjul/p_500SWRT10/Alpine-SWR-T10.html

The stock sub is actually a dual 4 ohm coil, thought that was interesting. I used line level inputs into a JL Audio amp. I was able to find a 12V power on the left side of the trunk with the solid pinkish wire in the picture. Since it switches off with the car, I also used that at the turn on signal for the amp.

I ran a remote knob up to the front seat so the wife can adjust easily.
First try, the whole area rattled horribly. Put a ton of acoustic mat on everything I could around the sub. That mat fixed it all and now can crank out way more power than what the wife will want.

Rivian R1T R1S Upgraded the sub in R1S with aftermarket Alpine SWR-T10 Subwoofer 20230404_130523

Rivian R1T R1S Upgraded the sub in R1S with aftermarket Alpine SWR-T10 Subwoofer 20230404_130516

Rivian R1T R1S Upgraded the sub in R1S with aftermarket Alpine SWR-T10 Subwoofer 20230404_102716
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You had me at “My wife loves bass”🫡

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
My wife loves bass. She has wanted an upgrade in every vehicle she's had.
The R1S is actually awesome for upgrading. The sub in the side is a standard size 10" sub and the box is quite large.
I had an Alpine sub already that fit perfect. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-CR4QZ5tkjul/p_500SWRT10/Alpine-SWR-T10.html
The stock sub is actually a dual 4 ohm coil, thought that was interesting. I used line level inputs into a JL Audio amp. I was able to find a 12V power on the left side of the trunk with the solid pinkish wire in the picture. Since it switches off with the car, I also used that at the turn on signal for the amp.
I ran a remote knob up to the front seat so the wife can adjust easily.
First try, the whole area rattled horribly. Put a ton of acoustic mat on everything I could around the sub. That mat fixed it all and now can crank out way more power than what the wife will want.

20230404_130523.jpg

20230404_130516.jpg

20230404_102716.jpg
The 12V powering the amp has enough current for the amp?

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
Hasn't been an issue so far. Unfortunately the lack access to a wiring diagram makes it a guessing game as to power limits.
For all my past installs I installed 10 awg at least for powering the amp and fused straight to the battery. On my model 3 I have it wired to the 12v output on the HV battery. That small wire seems like it would not handle the current for a sub amp. Unless I miss read and that’s just your switched wire. Where are you getting power for the amp.

Sponsored

OP
OP

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
For all my past installs I installed 10 awg at least for powering the amp and fused straight to the battery. On my model 3 I have it wired to the 12v output on the HV battery. That small wire seems like it would not handle the current for a sub amp. Unless I miss read and that’s just your switched wire. Where are you getting power for the amp.
It's really not that small of a wire. I'm using it both for power and turn on. I don't have the exact gauge but it's in the 8-12 awg range.

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
pretty cool mod, curious to see if people do any other aftermarket stereo upgrades

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Can you post some pics of the stock sub?

OP
OP

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
+1 on seeing the OEM sub. Also, any detail or link to removing the rear panel?
Removing the rear panel isn't too bad, I used a plastic pry tool and didn't have any issues. I'll try to get a few pictures of the stock sub.
I did try connecting the amp to the stock sub but it starting distorting at relatively low sound output.

Sponsored

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Nice work! Do you have an R1T that your bass loving wife also drives? Asking for a friend...

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
I’m curious about using stock amplification with a new woofer that won’t distort. I feel the stock sub is terrible due to distortion not lack of juice. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
I’m curious about using stock amplification with a new woofer that won’t distort. I feel the stock sub is terrible due to distortion not lack of juice. Any thoughts on this?
I did use the new amp with the stock sub. The volume output was way lower but some of this could be due to coil impedance difference and also stiffness of the higher power sub. It requires more power for the same output but can also handle way more power.
Honestly I don't think that solution would satisfy you.