First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Retired
Picked up my LG/FE R1T yesterday in Normal and took the tour. EVERYTHING was beyond my expectations. The delivery guide told my the St. Louis area will be opening soon. He didn't say when, just soon. And that's great for us as the nearest SC is in Olathe, KS. The R1T is a beautiful thing. It drives wonderfully. The seats are very comfortable and the software has so many bells & whistles. I love the clean look in the interior with no knows and other things distracting you. The only thing missing is the pull handle in the front area of each front door to assist with getting into the seats like my F-150. Not a big deal, but it does need to be added imo. I love this truck. Best vehicle by far I've ever owned.
Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Picked up my LG/FE R1T yesterday in Normal and took the tour. EVERYTHING was beyond my expectations. The delivery guide told my the St. Louis area will be opening soon. He didn't say when, just soon. And that's great for us as the nearest SC is in Olathe, KS. The R1T is a beautiful thing. It drives wonderfully. The seats are very comfortable and the software has so many bells & whistles. I love the clean look in the interior with no knows and other things distracting you. The only thing missing is the pull handle in the front area of each front door to assist with getting into the seats like my F-150. Not a big deal, but it does need to be added imo. I love this truck. Best vehicle by far I've ever owned.
Don’t keep us hanging man, what’d you learn about the updated Tonneau options?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Exactly, I thought posting this in the tonneau thread would give us some information.

gibbster57

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Retired
Don’t keep us hanging man, what’d you learn about the updated Tonneau the tour guide told me
The tour guide told me that the pre March 1, 2022 reservation holders would have their prices honored for manual cover (if you ordered one) even if you bought your vehicles thru the R1 shop. I was relieved to hear that. Unfortunately, if your truck wasn't fitted with a power cover Rivian isn't going to put one in. I didn't get to see either of the options. We had our two toddlers with us, so it kinda limited our time on the tour.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

https://rivian.com/support/article/why-will-some-r1t-powered-tonneau-covers-be-replaced

" As part of that solution, we’re also working on a process for replacing existing tonneau covers. Right now, no customer action is required. We simply want existing R1T owners to know that we’re working hard on this"

Doesn't specify that only failed tonneaus will get the retrofit. The following paragraph in that article refers to the interim solution they had at the time for those who already had a failed tonneau, which was either leaving it opened or closed until the retrofit was available. They also sent this as an email to all existing R1T owners back in 09/22.
Manufacturer’s are free to update previous messaging. “Swapping out that manual steering column you received for the powered one on your Monroney once “chips” become available like we said we would? Yeah, we’re not gonna do that & instead compensate you in a way of our choosing”, said one manufacturer beginning with “P”.

The next message in this regard from Rivian will be, “We had hoped to be able to retrofit existing R1Ts, but we chose a more robust design for future vehicles over backwards compatibility. For existing trucks, we have some janky rebuild of your existing noisy cover should it fail, and we’re confident that fix will take you though the last day of warranty. Stay Adventurous!”

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Calling it now, the "soft tonneau" conspiracy is going to wind up just like the various "there is a secret interior redesign they're not telling us about!" and "they're hiding the door cubbies from us because it's shitty webbing!" and "there's no garage door opener because they're going to try to make us pay Alexa/MyQ!" etc. etc. conspiracy theories.

(As opposed to winch-gate and tailgate-gate and tank-turn-gate...)
HAha... still sad about "tailgate-gate".
It's hilarious in the short video how rapidly they cut away from the new powered tonneau. As if RJ didn't know the level of interest in the new design, I think he is just trolling us... well played RJ. Unlike other CEO's I'd really like to meet RJ he seems like an approachable real person.

KyleJJ06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Blue R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Didn’t read through all 18 pages, but if there is any concerns about this not being slats still we can put that to rest.
You can see the slats if you look at the sides of the bed in the screen grab I have below. You will see it gently rise and fall as your eyes go towards the rear window.

Rivian R1T R1S Updated Powered Tonneau & Manual Tonneau Bed Covers Coming Mid-Summer! RJ Shows Off in First-Look Video IMG_1223

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Didn’t read through all 18 pages, but if there is any concerns about this not being slats still we can put that to rest.
You can see the slats if you look at the sides of the bed in the screen grab I have below. You will see it gently rise and fall as your eyes go towards the rear window.

IMG_1223.png
That's interesting. I see it, too.

Part of me was hoping for a soft, roll-up tonneau, because the racks on my tonneau slats got pretty chewed up the last time it jammed. I have a stack of slats sitting in my garage, and they do not look like they'll ever work quite right again.

That being said, I can't imagine Rivian wants to be on the hook not only for a mechanism update, but also replacing the (relatively) expensive aluminum slats on every truck.

JamboF4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
Will be interested to see if Rivian followed Monroe’s, two-motor recommendations.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Any thoughts on how weatherproof the tonneaus will be? I know nobody has seen them, but I am hoping they will do a good job of keeping out the elements.
Sponsored