Sponsored

gonefishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 honda civic
The video angle/lighting seems too convenient that they took the camera off before the power tonneau cover fully opened. Maybe I've seen too many social media videos but it doesn't show if there is a canister that rolls up the tonneau cover into. With how smooth the sound is, I think that there is and so it protrudes out instead of stacking plates.

Also don't see a brush that clears off debris either but it's not like they zoomed in. Hopefully they got everything in order because screwing up the first tonneau cover this badly really hurts consumer confidence in the company's engineering abilities
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
The video angle/lighting seems too convenient that they took the camera off before the power tonneau cover fully opened. Maybe I've seen too many social media videos but it doesn't show if there is a canister that rolls up the tonneau cover into. With how smooth the sound is, I think that there is and so it protrudes out instead of stacking plates.

Also don't see a brush that clears off debris either but it's not like they zoomed in. Hopefully they got everything in order because screwing up the first tonneau cover this badly really hurts consumer confidence in the company's engineering abilities
Looks like a downgrade to me. It has an pungent “Sandy Cheapening Munro” aroma to it.

gibbster57

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Retired
My guide re-affirmed today that ordering a powered tonneau for a truck not built with one will not be possible as "it needs to be installed when the truck is made".

THAT is non-sense as we have a thread or two on the forum here where the user has taken their truck apart. Expensive? Likely. Not offered? Apparently. Not able to be done? VERY unlikely.

We need to put pressure on them to offer it to owners that were forced to remove it as an option.
Well, shoot. In that case, the manual cover will suffice. Really wanted the power option though. Maybe someone will develop a power cover soon.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
For those that had the $800 manual cover option configured who later accepted an R1T Shop vehicle, is Rivian somehow allowing the manual cover to be added for $800?

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Interested to know when people will be able to actually order the new powered version and if it's actually totally different from the old one.
You and me both, brother. You and me bot. Glad to finally see an update though.

Sponsored

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Also, I wonder if there’s some sort of slick bracket stand thingie that could be made to turn the manual cover four pieces into a picnic table and benches.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Glad the manual tonneau is finally coming. Just wondering why took so long though.

[/QUOTE]

Probably because they tried to design one that was retractable and realized the cost was too high, so decided to go with handing owners four panels and a bag to work with, basically copying some of the DIY''s that have posted creating similar panels at home.

Still amazed that this is an actual "factory" option from Rivian. Don't recall ever seeing a tonneau cover offered by any manufacturer that requires removing individual panels one by one. Until now, don't recall even seeing any aftermarket such designs. No reason they can't design a manual retractable tonneau cover.

jkennebeck

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure
Clubs

From the letter:

What will change about the powered tonneau cover design?
The updated design addresses subcomponent design issues and improves the tonneau cover's robustness against manufacturing build variations. The look and function of the new design is the same.

Sorry, but if it's just a soft/vinyl type roll cover, the "function" of stopping people from putting a box cutter to it is NOT the same. No sale.

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
To be fair, your solution looks a bit more robust and comes in at a lower price point. I'm glad to see Rivian has a solution and I'm envious of the carrying bag, but I will not be replacing my Interrobang aftermarket solution with Rivian's manual tonneau.

Now if they offer a path towards the powered one for those of us with no Tonneaus, I'd be very interested in having that discussion...
I hope they will sell the bag separately

moonjeong

First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Analytics
Your DIY cover [post #87] looks very nice. Can you post a materials summary and high-level how-to guide? thanks
I’m working with a machine shop to have it produced. Hopefully in the next week or so I’ll have these for sale if everything goes ok. I want to see if I can get a tonneau cover that costs “normal” and is quality made. A folding hard cover for around 700 is what I would consider normal price. Also working on a soft cover. Will post when I have it ready.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I thought the manual cover would push in just like the power with no motors. This kinda sucks. I’m bummed it’s got to be pulled out and stored.
That would be convenient but it has always been described as four removable panels with storage in the gear tunnel. Of course you can also store it in the truck bed if the tunnel is in use. Somewhat similar to the old Avalanche cover except this one slides in a rail and the Av clamped on underneath.

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

For those that had the $800 manual cover option configured who later accepted an R1T Shop vehicle, is Rivian somehow allowing the manual cover to be added for $800?
I was told no, by my guide.

smiles76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Interested to know when people will be able to actually order the new powered version and if it's actually totally different from the old one.
It is a new design. But looks like the original. My best guess on orders would be June/July.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Still amazed that this is an actual "factory" option from Rivian. Don't recall ever seeing a tonneau cover offered by any manufacturer that requires removing individual panels one by one. Until now, don't recall even seeing any aftermarket such designs. No reason they can't design a manual retractable tonneau cover.
2002-2013 Chevy Avalanche & the Escalade twin. I bought an 02 Av new and had it twelve years. The panel design worked great for us, although they were much heavier than the Rivian panels.
Sponsored