razmataz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, 911, Range Rover, Wrangler
Occupation
Technologist
Clubs

I am happy to see progress and like RJ's solution, wonder if they will ship the manual cover to your home. And hope I don't need to make an appointment to go to the service center. does anyone here have insight as far as the logistics to get the manual on the truck?

Also, I picked my R1T out of their shop and, at the time was left with the option to either wait till 2023 or go with one with a manual cover. I chose to go with picking one out of their shop and hope over time they will come up with the option to retrofit my manual with the automatic as the cavity for the automatic cover is there.
Sponsored

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
I would much prefer a manual retracting tonneau like on the Santa Cruz.
Given the lengthy development cycle I was quietly hoping they would surprise us with a retracting manual tonneau. The 4-piece design looks nice, but it sure is not obvious why it took so long.

tdemon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Will this be in the gear shop for anyone who did not order the manual ahead of time? I bought my R1T used, so no ability to order.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Broken cover over here for well over 7 months.

This new powered cover looks like it might be on a roll and not a series of single interlocking panels. I'm hoping they will come to my house and replace - probably not after seeing how crazy it is to get it open.
They came to my house to try to repair my broken tonneau (stuck trying to open, second time it happened even though it was "fixed" last time). This time I had them just disable it in the software.

It took 2-3 hours for him to try to fix it, then tear the bed apart, remove the jammed tonneau, and reassemble the entire bed. This was all from a mobile service R1T, and in our currently ripped-up driveway.

It looks like the replacement design might actually be _easier_ to install and get working that the old design, so I'm guessing they expect this to be fixed via mobile service. Assuming it's a soft rollup design, it doesn't look like it's going to reuse any parts of the old one (which really sucks for their costs).

At the very least, it won't require aligning and calibrating separate panels.

Interestingly, he was going to take my tonneau panels. I assumed it was just being nice (so I didn't have to store them), but now I'm pretty sure they just aren't using any of the old panels. Hopefully they can at least recycle most of the material.

dcozart

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Sales
I'm personally wondering if the old one will be retrofitted with the new one. And will it be at our cost or their's?
Same - my original auto tonneau cover that came with e the truck (Aug 22 delivery) works fine, but it is definitely loud and clunky, would prefer the updated one

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I am happy to see progress and like RJ's solution, wonder if they will ship the manual cover to your home. And hope I don't need to make an appointment to go to the service center. does anyone here have insight as far as the logistics to get the manual on the truck?
Rivian sent an email on 4/10/23 stating that the manual covers will be shipped directly to owners once they are available.

" We wanted to follow up with an update on the manual tonneau cover for your R1T. The manual tonneau cover’s interlocking panels are expected to begin shipping to customers in summer of 2023. You’ll get an update with more information once deliveries are ready to begin. "

Last edited:

Skirotica

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They've said they'd repair failed tonneaus under warranty... That doesn't mean everyone gets the new design.
It probably does mean new design. i thnk they've abandoned the old design as faulty. i was promised a fix upon delivery of my broken truck. I expect to get the new one.

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

I am impressed with the design. Great job

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Definitely won’t change. The trucks produced without the powered tonneau don’t even have the button for it, so would make any retrofit that much more complicated and the last thing they need right now is to tie up the service centers even more.

Anyways, very pleased with the manual cover - it looks great and easy to add/remove/store.
while that's true it'll be a bigger retrofit, if they can make more profit selling the powered tonneau, they should offer it.

Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Will this be in the gear shop for anyone who did not order the manual ahead of time? I bought my R1T used, so no ability to order.
Every R1T without a Tonneau thus far has been advertised as being compatible with whatever the eventual manual solution is (we still have the rails and the opening at the end of the bed to slide the panels in). At some point they were supposed to stop doing that but I don't think that's coming off the line yet.

moonjeong

First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Analytics
Given the lengthy development cycle I was quietly hoping they would surprise us with a retracting manual tonneau. The 4-piece design looks nice, but it sure is not obvious why it took so long.
I agree - there are so many home brew solutions that look like that or can replicate it, with no where near the $1800 price tag! Not an elegant solution in my opinion if you have to take up space in the tunnel - that defeats the whole purpose of it.

I made one for much much much less than that in the meantime and works perfectly... as a mater of fact, can make one out of aluminum locking panels that looks exactly like that for much less... Not very impressed for a 100k truck. I'll wait to see what the pricing is for the power version.

Rivian R1T R1S Updated Powered Tonneau & Manual Tonneau Bed Covers Coming Mid-Summer! RJ Shows Off in First-Look Video IMG_9610.JPG

jhelmig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So what will my options be? I got mine in 12/22. I had ordered a powered, but then I selected no tonneau in the gear shop earlier than initial delivery window. My truck arrived with no tonneau but it does have the power button on the side rail, and it has the compartment into which the powered would retract. So I wonder if it would be possible to add the powered? I bet it won't be :(
I also just don't like the idea of dealing with 4 pieces. I would much prefer a manual retracting tonneau like on the Santa Cruz.
[/QUOTE]

That is interesting that it came with the buttons. Same as you, I had the powered on my reservation and it came off when they removed it (I added the manual to the order). I also got mine in 12/22 with no buttons. What was your manufacture date? Mine was 11/22?

Kodakbyd

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self employed
Looks like Rivian has new designs for the R1T Manual and updated powered tonneau covers.

They are coming in soon - Mid summer !

Wish they could retrofit the one they “forced” ppl to take without the tonneau cover. I know they didn’t force but they basically did
Sponsored