First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

IMG_0742_2.jpeg

My two boys and I, have been trying to decide on Forest Green (My favorite at reveal), and Launch Green for our R1S. Thanks to my buddy (not perfect, some blue halo), he made a quick photoshop of the R1S from the first @Rivian R1S we saw in Rivian Blue at factory, and the new LG pictures from @kevin1985. Not perfect, but gave us an overview of what it will look like.

My 9 year old son said, the Forest Green looks like we should be cruising around LA, while the LG we should be adventuring. Done! Decision has been made... now we just need to decide on 22's, or 20 A/T's. Decisions!

What do you all think of the R1S in LG? And, any opinion on the 22's vs 20's? We road trip up the 395 every year, rain, mild snow, paved, gravel, and dirt roads, and lots of city driving in traffic, with stretches of 70 MPH+ on broken cement freeways.
Matty,

First of all, congrats on going with the LG! I hope you love that color as much as I do.

Based on my experience in the factory ride-along and test drive, both on the track and off, I would definitely go with the 20" All Terrains. As RJ explained to me (knowing I was thinking about getting both sets of wheels & tires), you give up very little of the road handling with the 20-inch A/T's, but if you put the 22's on it, you're going to give up pretty much all of your off-road secure driving.

Given the conditions and surfaces you talked about for your annual trip, I wouldn't do that trip on anything but the A/T's. I'd definitely recommend talking to Customer Engagement to get their take, because mine is just one opinion.

One other thing to consider is that the 20" wheels are forged, and therefore much stronger than the 21's or 22's. Also, those two are flow formed. Essentially, they're cast, whereas the 20-inch wheels are stronger and, with the taller, and possibly stiffer sidewalls of the A/T's, less likely to fail. The chances of ever having a wheel failure are greatly reduced with the 20's, compared to the two larger wheels, all other things the same.

And, although Pirelli's done an awesome job of custom-building three great tires for these vehicles, neither rig is considered a bantam-weight.

OP
OP
Matty J

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Could we add the 20s on it :)
Here is one that isn't perfect, and has the lighter LG we used from the outside freeway shot. I may have an updated one later from my buddy with the 20's and the darker LG color.
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - (Photoshopped) R1S in Launch Green with 22's IMG_0742_2

OP
OP
Matty J

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Matty,

First of all, congrats on going with the LG! I hope you love that color as much as I do.

Based on my experience in the factory ride-along and test drive, both on the track and off, I would definitely go with the 20" All Terrains. As RJ explained to me (knowing I was thinking about getting both sets of wheels & tires), you give up very little of the road handling with the 20-inch A/T's, but if you put the 22's on it, you're going to give up pretty much all of your off-road secure driving.

Given the conditions and surfaces you talked about for your annual trip, I wouldn't do that trip on anything but the A/T's. I'd definitely recommend talking to Customer Engagement to get their take, because mine is just one opinion.

One other thing to consider is that the 20" wheels are forged, and therefore much stronger than the 21's or 22's. Also, those two are flow formed. Essentially, they're cast, whereas the 20-inch wheels are stronger and, with the taller, and possibly stiffer sidewalls of the A/T's, less likely to fail. The chances of ever having a wheel failure are greatly reduced with the 20's, compared to the two larger wheels, all other things the same.

And, although Pirelli's done an awesome job of custom-building three great tires for these vehicles, neither rig is considered a bantam-weight.
Thank you for the info. As always, you've provided us with not only detailed opinions, but factual data on materials used and use case scenarios as to how they might affect day to day use.

My family thinks I'm nuts for being so excited when another Rivian Stories session is ready to watch at days end. I'm telling you, the content is A++ and can't be missed. You were amazing to watch in action with Kyle , @jimcgov3 and @skyote. My favorite episode yet.

I've been a car lover for decades. I usually go through one a year as I'm competent at buying and selling without taking any significant hit, but Rivian is the only car I've been able to impatiently waiting for since my day one reservation. OK, I did own three cars since my reservation, but I'm waiting until my R1S is ready. I plan on keeping the R1S for at least 10 years, so that my 6 year old can use it for his driving test. My wife’s Model 3 will be for our 9 year olds driving test. I’m a loyalist, once I find the right thing.

Not to forget, @DuckTruck - now you're an internet star! Start searching IMDb for some of these Forum members making cameos on Rivian Stories and Instagram.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Ok, one last try based on the recent photo by @Babbuino on the other thread:
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - (Photoshopped) R1S in Launch Green with 22's 1629174454699

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - (Photoshopped) R1S in Launch Green with 22's R1S LG dark 20s

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
1629174454699.png

R1S LG dark 20s.png
I have my R1S configured with El Cap on bright 22’s just did not like the black but with LG looks like black wheels are made for it. If I was doing LG for sure would drop the 3500 on those.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
1629174454699.png

R1S LG dark 20s.png
Wow - this looks tan/khaki. Such variance. Gonna have to see it in person myself to resolve the FG/LG conundrum.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Wow - this looks tan/khaki. Such variance. Gonna have to see it in person myself to resolve the FG/LG conundrum.
Yup, I based it on this photo but it looks very different from the photos we got from the event at Rivian:
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - (Photoshopped) R1S in Launch Green with 22's 1629225010369

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Oh man if this was an option i might have to leave the Rivian Blue club.
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - (Photoshopped) R1S in Launch Green with 22's 1629226007840

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Oh man if this was an option i might have to leave the Rivian Blue club.
I would buy this teal in a second! Reminds me of the GMC Typhoon.
Believe it or not, this was an attempt to color-match the original picture to launch green - somehow couldn't quite figure out the right settings and ended up with this teal color. Definitely pops!

OP
OP
Matty J

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - (Photoshopped) R1S in Launch Green with 22's messages-image-3116876694-

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - (Photoshopped) R1S in Launch Green with 22's messages-image-2124493136-

Here are two photoshopped examples of LG. One example was from LG in sunlight, and the other was LG at Rivian indoors. It really does change in different environments, and I like it! Thanks @michaelloria for the photoshop work.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
IMG_0742_2.jpeg

RivianGreen2.jpg

Messages Image(3116876694).png

Messages Image(2124493136).png

My two boys and I, have been trying to decide on Forest Green (My favorite at reveal), and Launch Green for our R1S. Thanks to my buddy (not perfect, some blue halo), he made a quick photoshop of the R1S from the first @Rivian R1S we saw in Rivian Blue at factory, and the new LG pictures from @kevin1985. Not perfect, but gave us an overview of what it will look like.

My 9 year old son said, the Forest Green looks like we should be cruising around LA, while the LG we should be adventuring. Done! Decision has been made... now we just need to decide on 22's, or 20 A/T's. Decisions!
I've been torn between the greens, too. I'm LG at present. My shotgun passenger is lukewarm on LG and would prefer Forest. I can't see going with the added cost of FG.

Maybe I'm just an elder but with the exception of the grays and the not colors don't all these shades have a whiff of funk about them ? ? I can't help but worry the LG trucks will be mistaken for a municipal or forest service vehicle.

Last edited:

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
...plus do any of the colors line up with the green interior?
Sponsored