Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

UPDATED JULY 17, 2023: Added in a lot more data including doing this trip in All Purpose Mode with no mounted gear and in Conserve Mode with a bed top tent. For the conditions of this testing see the full tread below. New graphs attached within this July 17 Update section. The attached photo shows my truck with the roof top tent and bike rack I have. The data shown in these graphs is for just the tent alone or bike rack alone, never both together.

Only 2 data points doing this trip with the tent so no confidence intervals for that but it is looking like it has more impact on range than the bike rack. All purpose mode with no gear likely has lower efficiency than conserve mode with a tent or bike rack. The mounted gear reduces the range/efficiency by about 15%.

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED July 17, 2023: Rivian R1T Road Trip Range vs Temperature  - Data Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 8.54.40 AM

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED July 17, 2023: Rivian R1T Road Trip Range vs Temperature  - Data R1T efficiency vs tem
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED July 17, 2023: Rivian R1T Road Trip Range vs Temperature  - Data R1T range vs tem
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED July 17, 2023: Rivian R1T Road Trip Range vs Temperature  - Data R1T percent change vs tem

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2022. Added in a data point at 0 deg F. This data point is in "Snow Mode", not conserve like the other datapoints. Roads were partially snow covered so this data point is probably a low estimate of what a trip in conserve mode would be. I've also added an extrapolation line to estimate what the range/efficiency would be below 0 Deg F.

UPDATE: Nov 18, 2022. I've added in some new data from trips in colder weather (23F is coldest so far). I also added a chart showing %-loss in range due to temperature using 70 Deg F as the baseline point. It is important to note that these efficiency number are based on a trip of 3 hours in length. If you are doing shorter trips the effect of temperature will be much stronger because the battery won't have had time to warm up and operate more efficiently. I will say I find the effect of temperature to be less than I was expecting (15% loss at 32F) and the effect of the bike rack to be larger than I was expecting.

I make a regular road trip from our home near Minneapolis, MN to our cabin near Hayward, WI. It's about 165 miles each way. I always take the same route and go about the same speed. Set cruise control at 70 mph while on I-35 and then go about 60 mph on the state highways across Wisconsin.

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED July 17, 2023: Rivian R1T Road Trip Range vs Temperature  - Data 1664797682064

Always in conserve mode at "Low" ride high. I have 21" road tires. The average speed is between 50 and 55 mph each time (going through a number of small towns along the way quickly drops the average speed well below the cruising speed of 60 to 70 mph).

Sometimes I've done the trip with a hitch mounted bike rack with 1 or 2 bikes loaded. Most of the time my truck makes the trip "naked" with no mounted gear on the bed or hitch. The range/efficiency numbers are very consistent and show a clear trend with temperature and the effect of the bike rack. The bike rack cuts the efficiency by about 10%. The temperatures on the graph are a rough estimate of the average temperature during the trip.

I will continue to update this as we head into winter and colder temperatures. The shaded areas on the graphs are the 95% confidence interval on the 2nd order curve fit to the data.

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED July 17, 2023: Rivian R1T Road Trip Range vs Temperature  - Data R1T efficiency vs tem

Assuming a 125 kWh battery pack, the full pack range would be as shown below.
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED July 17, 2023: Rivian R1T Road Trip Range vs Temperature  - Data R1T range vs tem

Calculating the percent change in range/efficiency from a 70 Deg baseline; The percent loss in range due to temperature is the same with and without a bike rack which makes sense.
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED July 17, 2023: Rivian R1T Road Trip Range vs Temperature  - Data R1T percent change vs tem
Sponsored

Last edited:

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This is fantastic. I plan on using my existing hitch mounted bike rack if/when a truck ever comes home - great info and I'll keep an eye out for winter updates as we ride all year long here.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Can we get Rivian to hire you? This is the most useful information I've seen regarding range anywhere in the internet.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Good data. So.... ~9% range hit per 20 degrees temperature drop?

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Your efficiency “naked” is excellent, especially at higher temps.

responsivemilk

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla Y, Subaru STi
This is interesting. Why do people thing range/efficiency increases with temperature? I would assume the curve to look like an upside down U where efficiency goes down when heat or AC is being used and peaks when AC/heat isn’t being used. Of course you don’t have enough low temp data yet, but very interested to see what that looks like!

OP
OP
Budman

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

This is interesting. Why do people thing range/efficiency increases with temperature? I would assume the curve to look like an upside down U where efficiency goes down when heat or AC is being used and peaks when AC/heat isn’t being used. Of course you don’t have enough low temp data yet, but very interested to see what that looks like!
I think it is because the battery chemistry becomes more efficient at warmer (but not hot) temperatures. The electrons move around easier at warmer temperatures. You might notice that your range/efficiency meter on your Rivian dash will trend upwards in the first 15 minutes of driving because the battery gets a bit warmer as it discharges.

ryanpei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Ford F150 Hybrid
This is great! Thanks for doing that. We make that same trip a few times per year for biking (but have not done it yet in the R1T). The rack (up or down) definitely is more than a 10% hit in the model Y.
I was debating putting on the hitch rack vs the tailgate pad. The rack adds an extra 80lbs, but...may be more streamlined.

Great to see these data, and presented in a very effective way.
If I get data on both methods, I'll post it here (likely for a different route, [maybe Cuyuna] and probably without 95 % confidence intervals!!).

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nicely done and thanks @Budman.

Would be interested if someone did a similar comp with over the bed bike racks on the crossbars.

NoDakEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'85 Monte Carlo SS, '20 I-Pace, '15 F-150,
Clubs

This is nearly identical to my typical weekend trip (just a few miles farther to Phillips). I appreciate the info and will be able to post towing info when the Max Pack is finally in production.

OP
OP
Budman

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Original post at the start of this tread updated on Nov 18.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Can I just say thank you for including the 95% confidence interval in your plots. It is likely skewed by the relatively low number of data points but I'm glad you thought to include it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I hope the “naked” on the charts refers to your truck?

Sponsored