Sponsored

Gerolsteiner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y
Occupation
Renewable Energy
and I hit my elbow on the upper bed guard, and it just snapped off, so I put it back.
Wow, I thought you’d have to get a doctor to do that for you but I guess with all the adrenaline from seeing the Rivian in person you could handle the pain.
Sponsored

OP
OP

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I didn't perceive them as rude.

My read was that the plan for the event put them in a bit of a bind, which lead to some mutual frustration. But, overall, things went pretty well and they got this truck in front of the public.

Hopefully they'll adjust their plan for future events, when possible.
By the people I meant the general public not the Rivian employees, the employees were fantastic

OP
OP

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Wow, I thought you’d have to get a doctor to do that for you but I guess with all the adrenaline from seeing the Rivian in person you could handle the pain.
I see what you did there :like:

But to be more specific here is what I am talking about, that corner just pulled out. I am not sure if its by design or not, but seemed too easy to snap in and out.
Rivian R1T R1S (UPDATED) My review: I got behind the wheel of R1T and here are the details if you are interested! InkedPXL_20211003_154058382_LI

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I found it interesting that you were allowed to actually get behind the wheel and operate the truck. At the Friday (Oct 1) First Mile event, we got demo ride-alongs only. What was the difference?
This seems to be a moving target. Some said they were able to drive and do all the courses including mt rivian. Some are driving but not doing mt rivian. Some are not allowed to drive, only passengers. Perhaps something happened at one of the events and they decided out of safety to change things up. Or maybe it was the weather? Or maybe they felt the trucks were getting damaged?

For those who attended, did you have to sign any safety waiver?

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
This seems to be a moving target. Some said they were able to drive and do all the courses including mt rivian. Some are driving but not doing mt rivian. Some are not allowed to drive, only passengers. Perhaps something happened at one of the events and they decided out of safety to change things up. Or maybe it was the weather? Or maybe they felt the trucks were getting damaged?

I blame the lawyers.

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline

My wife and I drove up last Thursday to do the "Preview" event which means just looking at the trucks (they were on so you could mess with AC, radio, etc.) and talking to a Rivian representative at each of the stations.

Even to do that we had to sign a safety waiver.

And in case you were wondering it was definitely worth it to see the trucks in person. As everyone has said colors are definitely very different compared to photos. I was concerned about interior size, the odd vent placement/controls, and also just wanted to see what the overall fit/finish was. The interior size is very similar to my Ridgeline. The vents actually work really well and are much simpler to control than I expected from the online screens (easy enough to do while driving if needed). Definitely keeping my order!

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

With 0 offroad experience, after going through the dry creek bed part of the course, I would not have wanted to drive up Mt. Rivian. I was happy that they had dedicated drivers for that part.

It could also be the drive coach's decision on whether or not the driver seems competent enough to drive up it.

When she asked if I've offroaded before, my response was the only time I've offroaded is when i've slid off the road in the winter in Wisconsin.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That is correct, but my tesla was always getting 20+miles an hour without a wall connector, my co worker "claims" he gets well over 25miles an hour without a wall connector on his model 3; I could never get my head around the maths for that but he had a snapshot of it.

I tried looking into a legit table with those numbers, but all what I can find seems posts on threads, however, I know I got more than 12miles on 32AMP.
The Tesla can get 25+ miles per hour on a 32A connector because 7.6kWh / 237 Wh/mile (Tesla Model 3 Standard Range combined efficiency) = 32+ miles

Apply that same math for the R1T (481 Wh/mile) and you get the 16 miles per hour range added.

OP
OP

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The Tesla can get 25+ miles per hour on a 32A connector because 7.6kWh / 237 Wh/mile (Tesla Model 3 Standard Range combined efficiency) = 32+ miles

Apply that same math for the R1T (481 Wh/mile) and you get the 16 miles per hour range added.
Why could not someone on other forums explain it like that! I completely forgot about the wh/m difference. Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Yes, I had to sign one.

When I went, the off-road was closed due to weather. because it rained heavily the night before.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired

Why could not someone on other forums explain it like that!
Because 240*32/237 = 32.4051 mi. Allowing for the efficiency of the car's charger, which is right around 90% we'd have 0.9*240*32/237 = 29 mph.

We know that the Rivian requires 480 watts from the wall to go a mile i.e. charger efficiency is accounted for. 240*32/480 = 16 mph.

I have explained this here and in other forums in these terms 247 times at last count.

I completely forgot about the wh/m difference.
Perhaps this little example will help people to understand why some of us are so adamant about having consumption information in Wh/mi.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Because 240*32/237 = 32.4051 mi. Allowing for the efficiency of the car's charger, which is right around 90% we'd have 0.9*240*32/237 = 29 mph.

We know that the Rivian requires 480 watts from the wall to go a mile i.e. charger efficiency is accounted for. 240*32/480 = 16 mph.
I used the EPA efficiency for both of these example numbers.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I used the EPA efficiency for both of these example numbers.
237 looks like an EPA rated consumption number. If it is then you must adjust for the efficiency. OTOH the EPA wall number for the R1T is 48 kWh/100 miles which is 480 Wh/mi (whereas you have 481). If 481 is rated consumption where did you get that number and how can it be better than the wall number?

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S