Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Yes you go on a test drive before signing. And for me a suspension service light came on one hour after my guide left haha
My test drive consisted of driving it up my driveway onto my parking pad. Never went over 5 mph. There was so much other stuff to do with the delivery guy...display, getting phones enabled as keys, etc, didn't even ask if a test drive around town was an option, but figured everything would be covered under warranty. Just wanted to look it over for obvious defects, and accomplished that.
Sponsored

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Anyone know if Rivian is allowing test drives on delivery day? In other words, can people drive the R1 a bit before signing the purchase papers?
I didnt take mine on one as I had already driven one a week before, but when I said what's next to my delivery person, he said it was totally up to me. A lot of people ask to go on a drive. ;-)

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Maybe an upgraded air compressor will be available for serious off-roaders who want to do multiple suspension adjustments throughout an extreme offroading adventure.

Does anyone have pictures of the air compressor? I thought I saw one in one of the munro videos. Curious if it has cooling fins and is within air flow range of the electric fan?

Be nice to have a solenoid and a manual fitting to raise the suspension in case of compressor failure. I am thinking that it should be drivable in the lowest setting or with the air out of the system. If that is not the case, there should be a pressure relief valve that retains a minimum air pressure in the suspension lines, and discharges at an over-pressure.

...be interested to find out

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Arghhhh....The amount of troubles being reported this early in the release is very very worrisome. People can debate the numbers but this many issues so close to launch does not portend a good future for the vehicle and company.

As problems mount the ability of Rivian to provide good customer service will decline because service will simply be overwhelmed.

I would be worried about accepting a new vehicle at this point....my enthusiasm is at an all time low.
This is pretty normal “new model with a new drivetrain“ stuff.
They’ve only built a few thousand units so far. Just seems like teething problems.

It’ll be fine, no one in canada will have a Rivian before september anyway. 🫠

think of the positives, like not being on a first name basis with the service department at Birchwood anymore😬😬😬

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for all the comments. I took delivery of my R1T last month and have loved it. Primarily, I use threads like these for a couple of things.
1. Checking for the same issues on my truck.
2. If found, how should I expect Rivian to resolve it

Things for which I don't use these threads.
1. Determining long-term viability of the company
2. Recommending design changes (Not to be confused with constructive feedback to Rivian)

Before joining this forum, I did not even know anything about checking for panel alignment and had never checked for that on a previous vehicle. After learning of it, I went a looked at my Camry Hybrid and found numerous panel gap issues and even some rubbing because of it. I previously owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension and auto-leveling. It went out after 5 years of ownership and was pricey to replace. Research shows that this life of the part is fairly common across all manufacturers that use this type of suspension. This still didn't change my decision to buy.

I love the truck

Each of us has to make the decision to purchase based on our own appetites for dealing with new technology issues, new design issues, and the typical manufacturing failure percentages.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Probably have a leak in the system. Can't stop it from losing all pressure so it falls down onto the bump stops.
If you can’t turn the wheels without major rubbing on the tires (and destroying the inner wheel wells as well as the exterior trim) it seems Rivian needs to rethink the height of their bump stops??

The truck wasn’t drivable - that’s a design flaw IMO.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If you can’t turn the wheels without major rubbing on the tires (and destroying the inner wheel wells as well as the exterior trim) it seems Rivian needs to rethink the height of their bump stops??

Most vehicles won't be drivable on the bump stops. They are there to prevent catastrophic damage from overcompression. Wheel well liners getting ripped out isn't catastrophic.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

A truck without springs is not driveable, doesn't matter if the tires are rubbing or not. Bump stops are not backup springs in case the main springs fail.

Adamn

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 1991 Barefoot Sanger (boat)
Not the same but maybe helpful for others to prevent overheating from use. During my first drive event, the rep told me not to change the suspension height more than 2 levels at a time to avoid overheating. So if you're on the lowest setting and want to go high/highest for off-road, first go standard height, then go to the higher setting. I can't recall how much wait time they recommended, think it was just a couple of minutes.

pticknerco

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Chevy Duramax, Mazda CX5
You are not allowed inside the cabin until you sign.
Was this your experience on delivery? Mine was nothing like that. The LAST thing I did was sign, even after a test drive. They had me in the cabin almost immediately. I don't think I would have signed if that had been the case (your experience).

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
I'm surprised the designers allow the tires to rub in this failure mode. I've heard that other marques also have this issue when air suspension fails. In my mind it should have a fixed compressed length that doesn't cause contact, that way you could still drive it (even without spring comfort).

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Was this your experience on delivery? Mine was nothing like that. The LAST thing I did was sign, even after a test drive. They had me in the cabin almost immediately. I don't think I would have signed if that had been the case (your experience).
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad driving the R1 before signing for it at least seems to be an option.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'm surprised the designers allow the tires to rub in this failure mode. I've heard that other marques also have this issue when air suspension fails. In my mind it should have a fixed compressed length that doesn't cause contact, that way you could still drive it (even without spring comfort).
While desireable, it's not really practical. Doing so would either reduce suspension travel under compression or raise the height of the vehicle, both of which are significant negatives during normal use. Also consider that driving on a collapsed air spring(s) would quickly chew up the bellows (much like driving on a flat tire). At that point you're not just replacing a leaking air line or valve and potentially a burned out compressor, now you're also replacing the air spring(s). Best to just wait for the tow truck to haul it back to the shop at that point.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Edit: oh yeah, and one other thing. If you care about environmental impact, you should note that unless you’re driving hundreds of miles a day, that drain ends up effectively lowering your fuel economy by a noticeable amount. It’s kinda like if you just kept your engine running all the time in an ICE car (though it’s not really quite as bad, it’s a similar concept).
All of what you said along with the fact that selling 25,000 cars per year, each losing say 4 kWh/ day (to make math easy) is wasting 100,000 kWh day or 3,650,000 kWh per year. And for me, DOD retiree, that's not good for National Security when we have to import OPEC oil to make that electricity disappear into some Rivian Vampire... Nor good for the grid or environment.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

It was only after a hard reset AND trying to change drive modes did the error message show up. Even then it was not persistent and only displayed when trying to change drive modes.
I like how this error message pops up on the other screen from what you are actively using to change the drive mode. The error pops up on the driver display, while you are clicking buttons on the center display. It took a few click and say "WTF?" a few too many times for my eye to catch the error.
Sponsored