Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I don't see this as that. They're increasing production, so you expect an increased number of people noting issues. As I noted earlier, while every problem reported is concerning, qualitatively the frequency or severity do not seem any more significant than what VW had with the initial ID.4 sales.

I also don't see any signs that the major issues reported at related to Rivian's production issues so far. There's obviously a risk here for people, but how many reported suspension and motor failures have we seen? less than 5 total for each? That's what... less than 0.1%? And that's assuming they're actually the same thing.
We don’t have the real numbers. The perceived increase could be due to both increased numbers coming off the line and the reduced attention per unit R1Ts are getting due to increase in production (more errors per 100 units produced).

0.1% assumes everyone having problems share it here which I doubt is the case. Also problems not being exactly the same is worse since it would be more difficult to remedy.

This is obviously a new company creating a new vehicle that has surpassed all experts expectations with its capability. However as a potential owner, it is hard not to compare the number of service calls a new Lexus in the same price range generates vs a new R1T. I have the luxury of being in the back of the line and hope that my concerns are addressed by the time it is my turn but I doubt, I would take one if I win the Rivian lottery tomorrow.

I take no pleasure in sharing these less than positive thoughts since I hold some stock. I keep my fingers crossed things get better sooner rather than later so I can enjoy my R1S stress free for a few years.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TOCBoston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX
I don't see this as that. They're increasing production, so you expect an increased number of people noting issues. As I noted earlier, while every problem reported is concerning, qualitatively the frequency or severity do not seem any more significant than what VW had with the initial ID.4 sales.

I also don't see any signs that the major issues reported at related to Rivian's production issues so far. There's obviously a risk here for people, but how many reported suspension and motor failures have we seen? less than 5 total for each? That's what... less than 0.1%? And that's assuming they're actually the same thing.
The reported count here is only useful data if we know how many people here have taken delivery.

What other manufacturers are doing isn’t entirely relevant to me since I’m not buying those vehicles, have no idea the frequency and likely won’t since I’m paying no attention to them (also feels like whataboutism which isn’t my thing). However, I’d be far more confident with VWs ability to remedy a defect than Rivian simply due to their experience on vehicle delivery and repair, in general.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
My truck is going through QC this weekend and then my guide will let me know if it's ready to pick up. I'm curious if their QC process involves any testing of the 12v system, Air compressor, tonneau or other items that seem to be common early issues?

probably not.

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My truck is going through QC this weekend and then my guide will let me know if it's ready to pick up. I'm curious if their QC process involves any testing of the 12v system, Air compressor, tonneau or other items that seem to be common early issues?

probably not.
Agreed. I would think part of the QC process is a test drive and cycling thru all the Drive modes and suspension/height settings. Did they do that on mine? Who knows...

I do know I'm missing it but glad I didn't drive 600 miles to Vegas this weekend like I was planning to do.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Ours briefly overheated the other day after a rapid series of drive mode changes attempting to find one to get unstuck from some deep snow up a BC forest road. Soft sand mode to the rescue -- and the compressor was ready for continued duty after only about 5-10 minutes.

They need to remove the arbitrary height lock outs from modes (soft sand is standard and highest but doesn't support high) and better separate the height change from the mode change.

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED 6/2 - Delivery day (Hello!) and Return day (Goodbye)  ... argh! "Ride height change not possible due to overheated air compressor" 892B2B52-1235-4162-939A-5C0D71038F90

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED 6/2 - Delivery day (Hello!) and Return day (Goodbye)  ... argh! "Ride height change not possible due to overheated air compressor" DC3CEF15-F1E3-422F-84DF-56D5A19D63BE

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ours briefly overheated the other day after a rapid series of drive mode changes attempting to find one to get unstuck from some deep snow up a BC forest road. Soft sand mode to the rescue -- and the compressor was ready for continued duty after only about 5-10 minutes.

They need to remove the arbitrary height lock outs from modes (soft sand is standard and highest but doesn't support high) and better separate the height change from the mode change.

892B2B52-1235-4162-939A-5C0D71038F90.jpeg

DC3CEF15-F1E3-422F-84DF-56D5A19D63BE.jpeg
Agreed. That's a weird limitation.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Agreed. That's a weird limitation.
Yep. Just as weird as the no low limitation they had on Conserve...

So glad they removed that!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
However as a potential owner, it is hard not to compare the number of service calls a new Lexus in the same price range generates vs a new R1T.
Different drive train, different vehicle completely. A discovery makes more sense for a gas alternative in my mind. But we also generally aren't obsessing over suspension failures of a land Rover.
The reported count here is only useful data if we know how many people here have taken delivery.

What other manufacturers are doing isn’t entirely relevant to me since I’m not buying those vehicles, have no idea the frequency and likely won’t since I’m paying no attention to them (also feels like whataboutism which isn’t my thing). However, I’d be far more confident with VWs ability to remedy a defect than Rivian simply due to their experience on vehicle delivery and repair, in general.
We have a rough idea of deliveries. My point with VW is mostly that it seems like the end of the world in forums when new vehicles are being delivered initially, even if it's not.

At the end of the day, it makes me a bit nervous as well. It always has. But I haven't heard that there are manufacturering issues causing failures (yet), and nobody that's I've heard has expressed concern that they are using poor components with the Bosch motors or the suspension system. So I am struggling to see where a manufacturing pause would solve any problems at the moment, and I'm somewhat anxiously waiting to confirm thst the small sample size anecdotes are only that. If not we will see how Rivian responds and the people who aren't early owners will be happy they get to wait. Right?

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
But we also generally aren't obsessing over suspension failures of a land Rover.
Lol! That’s why I’ve been here for 3 years Brice!…See my profile pic, at least the tires didn’t rub off the fenders when I sold it to Carmax. 🤣.

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
Arghhhh....The amount of troubles being reported this early in the release is very very worrisome. People can debate the numbers but this many issues so close to launch does not portend a good future for the vehicle and company.

As problems mount the ability of Rivian to provide good customer service will decline because service will simply be overwhelmed.

I would be worried about accepting a new vehicle at this point....my enthusiasm is at an all time low.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Different drive train, different vehicle completely. A discovery makes more sense for a gas alternative in my mind.
I personally trust Lexus GX 460 more. Regardless, comparing the same class of vehicles when shopping is what most people do which is why you will most likely have much easier time shopping than I do. I am sure I am in minority but I don't shop based on a certain tech I am looking for. In other words my vehicle having an air suspension is never a requirement. Even being fully electric is not a requirement (although very high on my priority list).

My main expectation from a vehicle is being able to count on it to get me from A to B. Although no vehicle can guarantee that, likelihood of it is indeed different.

Then there are secondary expectations like keeping me safe and comfortable, getting me to my destination in timely manner, efficiency, greenness, tech, towing, reasonable cost ....... and other things I would like to have.

I am much more willing to make compromises in the secondary category and I often have to. Picking the best combination of compromises can result in 2 or three vehicle in my driveway that could be completely of different class of vehicles.

Rivian make it more likely for me to have a two vehicle solution rather than 3 since it does so many things well. However if it can't get me from A to B, that puts a lot of other options on the table. Even a bolt while I keep my Ice truck for occasional truck use.

Again that is most likely not the norm but that is how I look at my choices.

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I had air suspension on my 2005 Buick Rainier truck (and like the Rivian it had an air compressor to auto adjust the suspension and fill the tires) which went out after about 60,000 miles. My mechanic said that was typical for air suspension systems especially on Range Rovers at the time. I would think they are much improved 17 years later but reading about all sorts of initial problems on the R1T does make me a little concerned but then again the rave reviews on how awesome this truck is keeps me from canceling!

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Arghhhh....The amount of troubles being reported this early in the release is very very worrisome. People can debate the numbers but this many issues so close to launch does not portend a good future for the vehicle and company.

As problems mount the ability of Rivian to provide good customer service will decline because service will simply be overwhelmed.

I would be worried about accepting a new vehicle at this point....my enthusiasm is at an all time low.
This is exactly the point in time you would expect to see high numbers of issues. They haven't been making them long enough to know what problems to expect (whackamole), and they are making them faster than ever before (>100/day now from reports). With higher volume and rate, both the # of problem vehicles and the % go up. It's a threshold you have to grit your teeth and power through, and it's not for everyone on the customer end.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The weird thing was that there were no error codes or dash warnings when this happened. I heard the tires rubbing and it took a couple seconds to figure out what it was. Even after I pulled over there were no dash messages about any failures. Someone less experienced might have kept driving and destroyed the tires, fender wells and who knows what else.

It was only after a hard reset AND trying to change drive modes did the error message show up. Even then it was not persistent and only displayed when trying to change drive modes.

I would think there would be a failure mode where the truck tells you you are slammed on the tires and to pull over immediately. I'm also not sure why when there is a failure of this type it rubs the tires. The absolute lowest mode allowed IMO should allow you to at least drive the truck (and not rub the tires) if there is a catastrophic failure of the air suspension like this.

Luckily I was driving only 20mph and can't imagine if this happened driving at highway speeds!
Probably have a leak in the system. Can't stop it from losing all pressure so it falls down onto the bump stops.

Mo hd.

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Painter
Anyone know if Rivian is allowing test drives on delivery day? In other words, can people drive the R1 a bit before signing the purchase papers?
Yes you go on a test drive before signing. And for me a suspension service light came on one hour after my guide left haha
Sponsored