Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Anyone know if Rivian is allowing test drives on delivery day? In other words, can people drive the R1 a bit before signing the purchase papers?
Yes, a test drive is supposed to be standard procedure after an initial walkthrough.
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Can't remember the issue on others off hand, but I think most were just a simple valve not tightened completely and caused the compressor to run constantly to try to compensate for the escaping air, thus causing the overheat.

Should be a quick fix for the service tech

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I hope the new VP of Mfg makes his/her way to the factory floor to personally check the torque on every single fastener, fitting and connector on every truck. That seems to be necessary right now.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I hope the new VP of Mfg makes his/her way to the factory floor to personally check the torque on every single fastener, fitting and connector on every truck. That seems to be necessary right now.
Management “helping” manufacturing is usually no bueno, unless they have recent time in production 😬

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
jesus, i am now hoping i don't win the rivian delivery lottery. the issues being posted almost daily is wild.

• Haha
Reactions: Jay

Sponsored

jeffspears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T SUBARU FORESTER
Occupation
Retired
After two plus years I took delivery today of my R1T Launch Edition. They delivered it on a flatbed and walked me thru all the setup and LOVE the looks and size of the truck even more in person. Delivery folks were very nice and helpful.

I crawled around the vehicle for 10 min checking things out and then said 'let's go drive this beauty'. I left my house in Conserve mode and then got to a windy part of the road 1/2 mile from my house and thought I should put in Sport mode. I promptly pressed "Sport' and expected to feel the truck handle the curves even better. Instead I hear this horrendous rubbing sound and soon realize the truck is grinding against the tires. I try to raise it back up but nothing. I pull over into the shade - it's only 75 degrees here - and get out and see the truck is all the way down sitting on its front tires. I try to change ride height and nothing happens (with "Ride height change not possible due to overheated air compressor" error message).

A call to roadside assistance and they have me do a hard reset but it doesn't fix the problem. It's gonna have to be towed back to the service center from where it came from less than a hour prior. 20 min later the same people that dropped it off to me an hour before come and reload it onto the truck.

Rivian Roadside assistance was great, kept me informed and called me a Lyft to get me home.

I saw a warning that the air compressor was overheated even though it's not hot here and therefor it could not raise the vehicle.

It's hard to describe the excitement and then frustration happening within such a short time frame. I mean I was less than a mile from my house!

I'm gonna chalk this up to growing pains and be thankful it didn't happen on a long rad trip. Hopefully it'll be fixed quickly and I can try and relive my delivery day!

IMG_9169.JPG

1654116205579.png
I had an issue with a speed sensor on my way home from work the day my R1T was delivered. Rivian service was great about picking the truck back up, supplying me a rental, and fixing my truck fast! I had it back in a few days and have been having a blast with it! Towed a boat up to a mountain lake, went off roading (without the boat!), and got lots of looks and questions from bystanders. Hang in there...it is worth it!

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Anyone know if Rivian is allowing test drives on delivery day? In other words, can people drive the R1 a bit before signing the purchase papers?
You are not allowed inside the cabin until you sign.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
jesus, i am now hoping i don't win the rivian delivery lottery. the issues being posted almost daily is wild.
Negative news tends to outweigh positive. There are likely a lot more R1Ts with no issues than there are with issues. Its luck of the draw though. I should be getting either an R1T or F150 Lightning by July, both vehicles will be luck of the draw. I've been lucky with cars so far, so see if that luck holds.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
It sure sounds like the air compressor overheating is a consistent point of failure and I think a recall is forthcoming unless it's related to software not allowing for a wide enough operating range.
I probably change ride height or drive mode 5 or 8 times a day, never got the overheat from normal activity while driving.

I have gotten it while going up and down between lowest and highest while doing it repeatedly while doing show and tell with the truck the first weekend.

I do feel like this is to be expected from repeated extreme changes.

TOCBoston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX
I feel the same. And based on the sad and disappointed tone of most posters, these aren’t rage filled complainers. They’re just people who want the basics to be assured.

I think Rivian might need to pause for a bit. It doesn’t take more than a few percentage points of problem deployments before grid lock occurs. The SCs could get overwhelmed and then the new vehicles are going to compete with the broken vehicles for limited parts.

Ive seen enough posts here to expect the hyper Rivian loving crew to scream about hyperbole, etc, but these issues are real and they’re increasing. I want Rivian to succeed and I’d rather them pause two to four weeks of deliveries to focus on improvements versus hit arbitrary delivery counts.

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Negative news tends to outweigh positive. There are likely a lot more R1Ts with no issues than there are with issues.
I hope you're right, but it sure seems a more-than-expected number of long-time forum members and early preorder holders are reporting these kind of problems.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
I hope you're right, but it sure seems a more-than-expected number of long-time forum members and early preorder holders are reporting these kind of problems.
I agree we are seeing more problems posted, but also that should be expected now. The reason could be that more people own Rivians now so there will be more problems reported. If you belong to any other auto specific boards, then you likely have seen this before. I belonged to a Tesla Model X FB groups and the overwhelming number of posts were about problems people were encountering and if anyone else encountered them before and/or new the fix.

Maybe it will end up that there are major problems with Rivian, but I wouldnt' hit the RED ALERT button yet as bad stories should scale with deliveries

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Given the various issues with the Mach E I have no confidence the Lightning won’t have its share of growing pains. Especially as they will have to break in another legion of EV rookies.

Novo-caine

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ5 and allroad
Yes I did after u took delivery and the Rivian employee rode with me for a bit then I took him back to his truck

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Really the only problems I'm worried about are the tonneau cover and 12v battery (which the new update apparently fixes). Drive train failures and air suspension issues seem to be rare at this point. I fully expect my tonneau to break at some point in the couple months after I take delivery.
Sponsored