Sponsored

Update Regarding This Sunday's Mt. Hood Trip, (incl. Schedule of important times)

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I take it that this trail is unadvisable for those of us with the 21" Street Tires?
After testing the route and also seeing the 21's for the first time this week, I'd be cautious of doing this trail with the 21's. The majority of the last 1.6 miles is made up of pretty good-sized, jagged-edged rocks. On top of that, the steep approach at the end may put them at greater risk. I'm not the best judge of such matters.

I'd trust @av8or's input on that, in that he's an old hand at offroading, and he was with me for our trip up the trail this week. @jjswan33 will likely also have a good take on the suitability of offroading in the 21's.

See you Sunday!
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

After testing the route and also seeing the 21's for the first time this week, I'd be cautious of doing this trail with the 21's. The majority of the last 1.6 miles is made up of pretty good-sized, jagged-edged rocks. On top of that, the steep approach at the end may put them at greater risk. I'm not the best judge of such matters.

I'd trust @av8or's input on that, in that he's an old hand at offroading, and he was with me for our trip up the trail this week. @jjswan33 will likely also have a good take on the suitability of offroading in the 21's.

See you Sunday!
I think @DuckTruck is right about this. The risk factor is probably much higher for the 21s than it is for the 20s. Something else to consider is places to change a tire (level ground) is scarce up there, so you could potentially be putting a wheel at risk as well. You might have to drive a ways on a flat to get to safe place to change it.

Could you go up there and get a flat? Yes.
Could you go up and back without getting a flat? Absolutely. I just wouldn’t advise it and I would be against it if you don’t have a spare.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

So are there people confirmed that want to do the offroad proposal? I get the feeling that @DuckTruck had his fill of offroading for the week.

As a side note I was out hiking this afternoon east of Hood and decided to drive back over gunsight ridge and Bennett pass. Took about 2 hours, mostly easy for a R1 but some sections have some pucker factor. Imagine it would be worse in slippery conditions.

A2040A68-E5BD-4CC4-8C34-0564CA33FC82.jpeg
I’m totally up for the off-road section if time permits. I’d be glad to take some up that are new to off-roading and are a little nervous, or don’t have proper tires and a spare.

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think @DuckTruck is right about this. The risk factor is probably much higher for the 21s than it is for the 20s. Something else to consider is places to change a tire (level ground) is scarce up there, so you could potentially be putting a wheel at risk as well. You might have to drive a ways on a flat to get to safe place to change it.

Could you go up and back without getting a flat? Absolutely. I just wouldn’t advise it and I would be against it if you don’t have a spare.
@av8or,

Thanks for your advice. I remember you pointing out the limited number of places flat enough for changing a tire. I also remember some pretty good stretches without places to pull over for oncoming vehicles. Someone could find themselves backing the narrow track for quite a ways to allow for others going the opposite direction.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

If my stock FJ could do it safely, I would be interested but weather complications seem 50/50 on Sunday? If there is room in a Riv with experienced driver I would be interested in riding and learning along the way as a plan B for the offroad. ;)
It would be a breeze for a stock FJ with all terrains.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I’m totally up for the off-road section if time permits. I’d be glad to take some up that are new to off-roading and are a little nervous, or don’t have proper tires and a spare.
@av8or ,

Thank you for that. Again, I'm looking forward to gaining experience by traveling trails with you, @jjswan33 , and other seasoned offroaders going forward. It's amazing just how capable these things are in the wild, but I always feel better rolling with those who know the ropes.

Let's hope the views are still available Sunday and that the expected rain helps to squelch the fires up North, and the smoke that's filled our region.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer

I do have a spare, but I hear trying to get it out is a pain. I also have an RTT so that adds some complication,

I have done some off-roading with the 21", but just not in a place with a lot of sharp rocks.

I'll probably pass at least on the off-road bit.

Moonshine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1t, Tesla MYP, Jeep Wrangler
Jump in, @joelster!

It should be great fun. I don't have a headcount as of yet. In the future, I'll do a better job of incorporating an RSVP set-up. While that's not a big need for a driving event (no seating reservations, etc.), it would be nice to have solid numbers.

There will be plenty of Rivians. I hope everyone who intends on going chimes in here. That would include all who will be driving Rivians, those who want to drive their non-Rivians, and reservation holders looking to catch a ride in a Rivian. Also, please tell us at which stop you'll be joining the party.

For everyone considering this trip, please let your intentions be know here, including available seats.

I look at this like a sports event. The only bad seat is an empty seat.

Let's roll!
We’ll be joining up at the EA in sandy. Likely not going off-roading just due to time. Driving our r1t. See everyone soon!

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored