Sponsored

Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Which size wheels do you have? 20's will require a stop either at the Premium Outlet Mall (Cabazon) or in the Palm Springs/Indio area.

If you go through Prescott, there is a nice EA charger at Yavapai Junior College OR you can try the brand new 350kW charger at the PILOT truck center on the I-17 at Cordes Junction, but that is a bit out of the way going from Prescott to Sedona.
Cabazon is a joke, avoid it. I tried in July and got 32kw, everyone there was below 100kw. I have used the Prescott charger, worked great.

FYI, in August I did the Barstow to Kingman leg, on 21s in conserve. Left Barstow at 85%, arrived with 14%. The truck kept telling me it would not make it. Turned off the stupid nav.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Which size wheels do you have? 20's will require a stop either at the Premium Outlet Mall (Cabazon) or in the Palm Springs/Indio area.

If you go through Prescott, there is a nice EA charger at Yavapai Junior College OR you can try the brand new 350kW charger at the PILOT truck center on the I-17 at Cordes Junction, but that is a bit out of the way going from Prescott to Sedona.
What brand charger is in Cordes Junction? Nothing on PlugShare, nor on EVGO.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Cabazon is a joke, avoid it. I tried in July and got 32kw, everyone there was below 100kw. I have used the Prescott charger, worked great.

FYI, in August I did the Barstow to Kingman leg, on 21s in conserve. Left Barstow at 85%, arrived with 14%. The truck kept telling me it would not make it. Turned off the stupid nav.
And Cabazon is always full because of shopping traffic. With several OTA updates ago, Rivian changed the trip calculations and it is much more conservative than before. It adjusts the calculation to be more real along the way.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I used Cabazon last week. 202kW down to 127kW in 10 minutes (12% to 55%)....if it's a weekend, good luck with shoppers .....there are a couple of EZ Go's right next to the EA's, but I didn't check them out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Thank you everyone for the feedback and sharing your experience.

We have 22" and have been EV road tripping for 6 years (mostly with Tesla, and last trip to Lake Tahoe from SoCal on R1S). Agree about "total travel time" philosophy of driving slower and charging less often on a long trips.

Sounds like a quick stop at Indio/Palm Springs area is most common sense approach. We're leaving early AM so we'll time breakfast with the short stop. Also, by all means I won't get near Cabazon.

After looking up the EA map, there is a station in Prescott so will definitely go that way and evaluate the SOC at Prescott area. Its all "downhill" to Sedona from Prescott so its a matter of how much charge it will take to get to Prescott.

I use this handy website to get a general sense of elevation change and the road grades for road trips. (https://www.flattestroute.com/)

We're traveling on 2nd week of January so will report back after the trip how it all worked out.

Happy Holidays!

CDC_73

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Clubs

Depends on where in LA you are leaving from.
I have gone to Prescott from Vista over the 79 (large elevation gain and drop) into Palm Springs with one stop at Quartzite for about 40 minutes (ate lunch). I left Vista at 100% and got to Quartzite with about 25% SOC. I got to Prescott with over 100 miles of range.
I am on the 21" wheels and used conserve from Palm Springs to Quartzite.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I used Cabazon last week. 202kW down to 127kW in 10 minutes (12% to 55%)....if it's a weekend, good luck with shoppers .....there are a couple of EZ Go's right next to the EA's, but I didn't check them out.
When I was there, the EVGO chargers were both down. And that parking spot right at the entrance is awful

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
They are a GM/EVGO Pilot Flying J's joint venture. 350kW. Up and running.

Flying J's Pilot Charging Map USA Active
Wow, those are not showing in the EVGO app, but Winslow is. I am taking my Hummer to Sedona and Flagstaff next week, will have to check it out.

That map is also showing Tucson, but it is not on the EVGO app either. I have Autocharge on all my EVs, so do not even need the app. The GM/EVGO/Pilot team is really putting these up at a record rate, way faster than EA ever got things done. Hopefully they get the Salome and Ehrenburg sites up quickly, to alleviate the Quartzsite bottlenecks.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Wow, those are not showing in the EVGO app, but Winslow is. I am taking my Hummer to Sedona and Flagstaff next week, will have to check it out.

That map is also showing Tucson, but it is not on the EVGO app either. I have Autocharge on all my EVs, so do not even need the app. The GM/EVGO/Pilot team is really putting these up at a record rate, way faster than EA ever got things done. Hopefully they get the Salome and Ehrenburg sites up quickly, to alleviate the Quartzsite bottlenecks.
It's good that they are putting up charger locations so quickly. I just hope there is room to expand since it seems like most locations only have 4 chargers. Those are going to get overloaded quickly as more EVs are on the road.

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Accordng to Plug-Share there are plenty of chargers you could stop at after Quartzite.

From Quartzite to Presott is 135 miles. If you juice up to 90% in Quartzite, you can easily make it to Prescout and charge there.

You can always go through Phoenix and charge there. It is about 100 miles to Sedona from there.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! 1703182890500

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Are you 100% sure that is not the Tesla V2 Superchargers that are at those exact sites? Did you actually see the GM chargers there?
There is a map of them on the their website that has the GM/EVGo partnership. Plus the ones I checked on the website are only 4 chargers. Don't remember if Tesla ever did that few. Plus some are on PlugShare too and say EVGo.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
There is a map of them on the their website that has the GM/EVGo partnership. Plus the ones I checked on the website are only 4 chargers. Don't remember if Tesla ever did that few. Plus some are on PlugShare too and say EVGo.
Cordes Junction and the Pilot south of Tucson are not on Plugshare, nor are they on the EVGO map. Those are also not on the GM/EVGO/Pilot map.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Cordes Junction and the Pilot south of Tucson are not on Plugshare, nor are they on the EVGO map. Those are also not on the GM/EVGO/Pilot map.
Good point. I didn't look at those specifically, just at routes I was interested in driving :)
Sponsored