kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Update from Rivian: Dark Wheel Option coming soon for Launch Edition reservation holders tEgAJInEAB7N_ysGRs-dKBhBw=w819-h1228-no?authuser=0

FWIW these cost $750 + Moutning and Un-Mounting because of the area we live in (DC Metro Area) in either case it will definitely be a lot less than paying $1500 or more for a darker wheel option. Unless the wheel offers better driving dynamics (Forged Light weight wheel) I would not pay more than $1k for the same just a different color.
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I just got my model Y wheels powder coated for $450. Had other quotes higher than that, but this shop was highly recommended and fortunately the cheapest. I dont think it should cost more than $750 no matter where you go.

This is a permanent option. I wouldn't recommend plastidip as that will only look nice until you actually drive anywhere.

20201122_171359.jpg

20201129_145629.jpg
Looks sickk ? - and that has to be a body wrap, isn't it? It looks a nice satin as opposed to the factory glossy black.

All these options are making me think of just forgoing the $1.8k dark wheel and any upcharge on body paint color.

Mathmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Audi Q5, soon an R1T
Looks sickk ? - and that has to be a body wrap, isn't it? It looks a nice satin as opposed to the factory glossy black.

All these options are making me think of just forgoing the $1.8k dark wheel and any upcharge on body paint color.
Thanks! Its Xpel Stealth ppf on tesla black. Wanted the paint protection as they are known for weak paint, and couldn't pass up the satin look. Seriously considering this for my R1T. PPF plus a ceramic coat make keeping that black clean easy. The thing to keep in mind with a color change wrap is when you open the doors you'll see your base color inside, so something dark or similar is best if you don't want it to stand out.

I think I agree. If the black wheels are more than 1k upcharge, I'll likely just powder coat them....if less I might just go for it out of convenience. Im still gonna pay the extra for the black paint though.

Jllodahl

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR3, BMW X7, Audi Q7
Occupation
Anesthesiologist
Encouraging. Also want excellent winter wheel/tire option for our tough 5 months of snow and ice. All season not sufficient, as others have noted.
The 20 inch all terrain tires are considered winter wheels by tire rack

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
From the Pirelli / Rivian press release (https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/pirelli-tires-tailor-made-for-rivian). The AT is “3 Peaks” rated which qualifies it to satisfy “chains and/or 4WD required” situations. Very important to us who live in the Rockies.

PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN: THE OFF-ROAD TIRE
Pirelli’s 275/65R20 off-road tire, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus, was also specifically developed for the R1T and R1S with electric adventure in mind.
The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is Pirelli's On-/Off- Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for drivers of pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs who want a balanced blend of on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.
The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is molded into a symmetric, high-void pattern. This pattern is designed to provide smooth and quiet on-road operation along with aggressive looks and confident off-road traction. Deep grooves and independent tread blocks help provide the clawing action needed to find grip in loose terrain, and conical stone ejectors resist punctures by forcing small rocks from the tread.
In this case, the challenge to create a dedicated version of these tires for Rivian has been to match their low rolling resistance targets with the off-road applications of the Scorpion All Terrain.
To achieve this result, Pirelli’s engineers designed a dedicated mold in order to reduce the weight of the tire, adding then a special compound for light trucks that made the tires more resistant to cuts and lacerations.

Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I was thinking of it replacing the "free wheel upgrade".
I might elect to keep the 21s for the range, and therefore won't utilize the $1,800 allowed other LE customers that choose the 20s or 22s.
Would be nice to apply that towards paint, kitchen, crossbars or ??

I wouldn't expect them to allow you to delete anything from the LE and get credit for it
Yes, I was thinking that too but May just get a set of both the 20’sand 21’s, May need the better miles for trips to the ? . I looked on tire rack not available yet so May have a steep markup for being special edition tires.. oh well . I saved by not getting the 10k battery.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Is that a permanent paint job, or one of those plasti-dip coats that can be taken off? Seems like a good deal either way.
I use a place by where I live. Got my wheels and calipers done for what Rivian charges for the dark option. Life time warranty and painted powder coated finish.

https://instagram.com/crown_customs_chicago?igshid=1inpzik2h87ev
Is that a permanent paint job, or one of those plasti-dip coats that can be taken off? Seems like a good deal either way.
Rivian R1T R1S Update from Rivian: Dark Wheel Option coming soon for Launch Edition reservation holders 1226192337
Sponsored