Sponsored

Unfortunate situation... how to charge my R1T in apartment complex?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'd either drive one of your other vehicles for a couple months or charge every opportunity you can get, even at L1. I suspect you'll be surprised how much you can gain.

I suspect you can get away with charging Wednesday or maybe Thursday morning assuming you use the weekend to its max and charge up to 100% each monday. Then maybe once more during the week or squeak it out to Saturday. If you eat your a meal or just generally do something relaxing while charging it shouldn't be the end of the world. Charge at L2 chargers whenever you get the opportunity it when you are out.
Sponsored

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
If itā€™s a fixed term contract, I would either suffer with dc fast charging for the period or find a long term rental. Otherwise on month 5 youā€™re going to be looking to get another R1T and paying up to do so.

Think of the flipping cost of the R1T as your budget for the rental. Or your budget to buy/sell another vehicle for a 4 month period.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Too late to find an apartment complex with a 240 outlet in a garage? Or a rental house might serve you better. If there is an electrical panel in the garage, install a 240 in there and ask for forgiveness if they notice....

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
How is it not? You can change the oil on your car less than what's recommended if you want, lots of people do. It won't "kill" the motor, but it WILL reduce efficiency, relative to changing it properly, over time.
It will kill the engine by turning to sludge and blocking passages, screens and the oil filter. VW / Audi has a long history of this problem including recalls and class action lawsuits. I have a 2002 Audi that had this issue even with regular oil changes. I still have it because itā€™s a fun weekend 5 speed beater to drive, lol.

DetroitRed

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition
Occupation
Engineer
I would personally just budget the hour or so every 2 days to spend at a DCFC. For only 4 months, I could definitely tough that out to keep the truck. Find a gym near a DCFC and work out 3 times a week while the truck charges. Wrap up your workday doing emails and reports while you charge. Just plan for the time in advance and make it part of your schedule for four months.

Sponsored

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
If you really don't want to sell it, garage it for a 4 months. Maybe keep it on a trickle charger over that time.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

1. Drive the Raptor
2. Drive the Range Rover
3. If you have an electric 240V dryer in your Apt., and the garage is attached then get a 30-50ft cable.
OP may have just put this here as a feeler for a future sale šŸ˜‰

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Yes. I would need to drive there every other day. Sucks after I can wake up to a full charge every day.

My employer covers the apartment rent. I am paid as an independent contractor on everything else. I provide everything but housing.
It would seem drastic to sell it, you've probably paid close to $8k in taxes, that would be down the toilet. I'd say last keep it use a different vehicle or rent.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Could you look on plugshare or somewhere else and identify local people nearby with their own chargers at their homes that would let you use their charger for a fee? Maybe you could offer to buy them a charger to keep if you can use it for x months until you move?

Where I live I only have one charger so it would be a problem for me to have someone else using it when we would want to be charging, but if I had two or didn't need to use it at the same time I would probably let someone use it if they dropped me $50 a month or something. My charger Autel Maxicharger) actually allows you to give people access through the app or RFID card and charge them a fee if you want.

Maybe a mom and pop business with easy access to the power behind their business? You could offer to buy it for them and pay them for the electricity and when done they are an EV friendly business?

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Honestly I'd you like the car park it. Rent something for four months.
Yes. I would need to drive there every other day. Sucks after I can wake up to a full charge every day.

My employer covers the apartment rent. I am paid as an independent contractor on everything else. I provide everything but housing.
Have them provide rent money and find your own apartment/airbnb that works.

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
My job requires that I relocate across the country for 4 months. They cover housing and travel costs. We have to move to an apartment complex in Memphis, TN area. Brand new complex, but I can't figure out a way to charge my R1T.

I asked the complex about installing a nema 14-50 plug in my garage, but they will not get back to me. Things are not looking good.

Any ideas on how to charge my truck? I don't want to drive to a charger every day. I work in the field and cannot plug in at the "office".

Edit-- I will likely sell my truck if I can't figure out a solution. Very upset. 1.5k miles on it. Bought it from a flipper and have put money into it since. Love the truck.
Interesting question since you drive an EV this would apply to any make or model EV What to do for power
If its a new complex you might be able to request a independent EV meter and hook up in the garage will be expensive like 6k but employers will need to start addressing this as more and more switch to EVs or just buy a beater for the 4 months your out there. Will you be keeping you current home if so just leave the R1 there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11292

You just need to be a better dependa and get on Facebook throwing your spouses rank around until you get your way.
LOL. You don't even know...I absolutely could (not on FB) but I don't. Not my style.

Last edited by a moderator:

ADKR1S

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T , 2023 Toyota 4Runner, R1S Preorder
Occupation
VP of Sales
Find a different apartment with an attached garage and buy this 14-30P splitter and charge from your dryer or stove!
Sponsored