Sponsored

Unfortunate situation... how to charge my R1T in apartment complex?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Buy a cheap beater for 4 months?
Sponsored

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
If they are requiring that you provide the vehicle that you need to do your job, then they should be reimbursing you AT LEAST 65.5 cents/mile. That is the IRS mileage rate for 2023. That should MORE than cover the cost of an unlimited mileage rental car plus the gas it needs. If possible, don't rent it "at the airport" since most cities tack on extra taxes/fees for that. Park the Rivian in the garage, use it for personal stuff, drive the rental car on the job. When you're done, turn it in and drive home in the Rivian (with 8-10,000 miles LESS on it than you otherwise would have had).

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It really is not bad. Before I retired because of Tesla free supercharging, I used to just go be a supercharger a couple of days a week on the way to work, grab a cup of coffee and check some emails. I actually did not mind it and some days would stop without needing to.
I’m glad to hear that! And that is exactly what I planned to do when I have to stop. Grab a coffee and catch up on email or Slack or even just relax for a bit and listen to music on my Meridian or possibly non-Meridian-Meridian stereo.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

1. Drive the Raptor
2. Drive the Range Rover
3. If you have an electric 240V dryer in your Apt., and the garage is attached then get a 30-50ft cable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
utahraptor

utahraptor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 RR Sport, 2022 Raptor
I would sell your truck and get a bullet proof vest if you're moving to Memphis. It's probably the most dangerous city in TN.
You better believe I have a few of those... and a few other things ready at all times lol. It's no joke. Memphis is like a different planet.

OP
OP
utahraptor

utahraptor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It depends on a lot of things. Memphis isn't a great city for itinerant RVs. There are few Level 2 charging options near my house in east Memphis/Germantown. All that I'm aware of are free.

There seems to be a bunch in and around downtown/Mud Island

A handful of car dealerships have DCFC, but typically are 30-50kw. There is an EA station on the northeast corner of the city
We will be in Germantown. In between Costco and Lifetime Fitness. Definitely a nicer area. You are correct.. Memphis isn't the most EV friendly city.

OP
OP
utahraptor

utahraptor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1. Drive the Raptor
2. Drive the Range Rover
3. If you have an electric 240V dryer in your Apt., and the garage is attached then get a 30-50ft cable.
Rover will stay in the garage at home. Literally afraid my wife will be car jacked. She had a close call last year and it was near impossible convincing her to go back to Memphis.

Electric dryer was my initial plan, but the garage is not direct access to our unit. It's detached and a few floors down.

OP
OP
utahraptor

utahraptor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buy a cheap beater for 4 months?
Sounds crazy, but I bought the rivian for work. No gas, no oil, no ICE maintenance. Love how I can leave the AC on all day as I get in/out of the car.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Wouldn't all of that regular DCFC be bad for your battery?
I don’t think so as long as you keep it between 20-80%. It’s going from 0-100% frequently that isn’t good.

Deleted member 11292

We will be in Germantown. In between Costco and Lifetime Fitness. Definitely a nicer area. You are correct.. Memphis isn't the most EV friendly city.
Germantown is nice. We lived in Millington and used to go to Germantown for dinners and brunches on the weekend. Never Memphis. Watching the news about who got shot last night every morning was depressing.

OP
OP
utahraptor

utahraptor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Germantown is nice. We lived in Millington and used to go to Germantown for dinners and brunches on the weekend. Never Memphis. Watching the news about who got shot last night every morning was depressing.
Correct. Central, north, and south memphis... crazy...

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Wouldn't all of that regular DCFC be bad for your battery?
They say it is but I am 7 years into my Model S doing 95+% supercharging and still well over 92% of original range. Most of that was lost in the first 3 years, I have not lost anything in the last 2 years. I’m sure I would have lost less not fast charging but it is certainly not going to kill the battery.

I rarely charge above 85%, hardly ever go under 10%, and do not let it sit at the extremes. I think these more critical than fast charging.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
So do you have the EA app? There is a DCFC here:

Rivian R1T R1S Unfortunate situation... how to charge my R1T in apartment complex? 1681006223178
Sponsored