cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

We moved all EV with an R1T last May and a '22 Mach E in August. Love them both for different reasons and haven't looked back. The R1T is the road tripper and adventure mobile, while the Mach E is the city car.

For that reason we just got the standard battery in the Mach E and we're wishing we had the bigger battery, instead. Haven't had any issues but it would be nice to charge less often.

I appreciate the build quality and bug-free nature of the Mach E, the UI and capability of the Rivian.

Not having to maintain ICE platforms was an unexpected weight off my shoulders. I've always enjoyed performing my own maintenance, but purging my garage of the quarts of oil, grease, additives, spare parts, gaskets, special tools, etc was an eye opener. No more trips to dispose of used oil, no more oil changes for $150 bucks, no more worrying about when certain components will bite the dust.

Charging is not a huge issue for us because we rarely road trip, but it IS a challenge where we live. I did the math and have visited 5 different EA locations across maybe 10 visits. I've only had a seamless charge twice. 8/10 of those times required... Work and extra time.

Going full EV has lightened our lives
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Currently have an R1T and Model Y Performance. Love the R1T. Not so much the MYP. When our R1S arrives, we'll be selling the Model Y.

Two EVs is easy to do.
Same exact boat (R1T & 2023 MY)....I'm glad we kept the RX450H, while we wait delivery of the R1S. As soon as the R1S arrives, out go the Lexus and the Tesla.

I'm pretty far along the process with the Ocean Extreme, but we will see. $70K no rebate, but possibly 370 mile range is enticing.....

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
We have been all electric since 2018, currently R1T and MY. Love the R1T as my truck, but we couldn't do without a long range road tripping EV and in my experience only the SuperCharger network provides a good experience there unless you are incredibly lucky and specific routes.

I've had exactly one good DCFC experience out of a couple dozen and even then that was way out of the way and inconvenient. Driving 300+ miles in the R1T takes planning, multiple apps, reading reviews, overnighting strategically near charging routes, etc. Early Tesla adopters had some of that, but now you just hop in and go where you want and stop and stay where you want with no planning at all. Last charging experience (EA in Houston) was not too bad, but only got 50kw (for everyone) on a 350kw charger and there was a line to use the 4 stalls ... I stopped charging early since I was holding up others and visited it again in the morning (while kids had hotel breakfast so they don't have to wait at a slow charger) for the trip back home. That silliness just has never happened in our 5 years as a 2 Tesla family. Probably the most painful experience was the older paired shared chargers (75kw charging).

Went skiing over Christmas and wanted to take the R1T, but it would take hours longer, traveling through another state, and there were multiple single point of failure charging stops on route (if one was down we would need a tow). We took the other car, multiple direct routes and no single points of failures (we could skip any charger and get to the next one if needed).

We have networked gen 2 Tesla wall chargers works great w adapter to charge both at the same time (convenient) but if I were to do it again would suffice with a single charger since we rarely charge at the same time (not daily).

OP
OP

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Thanks for all the excellent feedback. Short version of the outcome - we are now a two-EV family, with a Hyundai Ioniq 5 as a companion to our Rivian R1S.

A slightly longer version in the event our experience is useful to anyone else, as all the previous comments in this thread were helpful to us:

We looked at some plug-in hybrids as a potential middle ground. The Kona PHEV seemed decent, and the Rav 4 PHEV seems generally well-regarded too. We got to test drive both, and though didn't get to the point of discussing pricing on the Kona, there was a $5k markup on the Rav4. No thanks.

The Teslas are certainly attractive from an infrastructure standpoint, and the recent price reductions caught our attention too. But the giant screen that is the source of all things was a deal breaker. I know some people don't mind it, but my wife hates it, and we were shopping for her replacement vehicle, so she had the deciding vote. And, frankly, even for the Rivian the reliance on a touchscreen for so much is one of my few complaints.

Then we drove the Ioniq 5. Good grief that's a fun car to drive. Though the range of the AWD version doesn't quite get to Rivian territory, it can charge fast (given the right charger). Plus, the Ioniq 5 comes with two years of free charging through Electrify America. The combination of these factors overcame the hesitation we had regarding range. And while there is a touch screen that controls a lot, there still is a nice mix of physical buttons.

At home we're currently trading off using the Rivian charger, and < 1 week into this new vehicle arrangement we haven't had problems coordinating home charging. We'll give it a go for a while to see if we could stick with one charger, or if we have to get a second one.

Plus, the silver lining of looking for a car now even vs. just a few months ago is that most area dealerships (greater Denver metro area) had multiple Ioniq 5s on their lots. Not only did we not have to be on a wait list, we were able to get a car within a few days of the test drive, and at MSRP. Not bad.

We're stoked to join the all-EV world. Thanks again for all the great feedback.

chaynes745

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

My spouse and I have been EV exclusive for about 3 years now. We currently have two separate charges: Rivian charger for my R1T and a ChargePoint for their Audi Q8 Etron. Before these, we I had a Tesla M3 and they had a Porsche Taycan 4S and then a Volvo C40.
The current setup is by far the best. Both vehicles have similar ranges, which can get us around Colorado with no issues. At this point, I believe EV exclusive is the way to go. Even with the possibility of a roadtrip, the EV structure is improving to a point that I feel there would be no worries for an enjoyable trip.
Sponsored