unexpected "opportunity" to be all-EV family

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
We have yet to get our R1T, never owned anything else in an EV aside from our Kona EV. It's the top of the line finish in that model, and would say it's a very agile commuter car. The OS is not bad, but not on the level of a Tesla or Rivian. Easy to park in town, enough features for a basic vehicle. Not high end trim, but okay. Has been very reliable in a year of driving, and the battery is small enough for easy charging at home. 400 km range. We run in ECo with full regen always. Typically shows about 450 km range at a full charge, but have not road-tripped in it.

No trailer hitch for putting a bike rack on it, we had one small tire puncture and broke the mirror backing into the garage. The parts were available within 2 days and cheap.

I find it a tad noisy on the highway at 100 km/h + speeds
Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

We've been all EV since we traded in our only car (Hyundai Palisade) for the Hyundai Ioniq 5 in February 2022. We were down to one car because we thought we could swing it during the pandemic and the R1S was coming "s00n". We barely made it, but not because the Ioniq 5 was an EV. We borrowed my mother's old X3 for two months as she recovered from knee surgery, but used it maybe 5 times because of gas prices and because it's a POS... and it embodied the worst things about Germans (I say that as a German).

We recommend the Ioniq 5 and you should definitely check it out (in person - the pictures are deceiving) and test drive it. We actually like it so much that my parents bought two (getting rid of the BMW). I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Hyundai upped their game and came to slay. As for being an all-EV family, we love it. No issues road tripping and it's an economic gain for us (particularly as we can charge both vehicles for free at EA stations). Join the cult!

That being said, unless you have strongly held opinions about "Him", or don't like their tech, software, interiors, or panel gaps, the economic choice is probably a Tesla as they've dropped prices and qualify for the tax credit (right? I stopped paying attention once my return hit). Depending on where you are and where you road trip, the supercharger network may or may not be a factor in the decision.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
We’re thinking about a phev as our second car/road trip vehicle because range anxiety, charging infrastructure, and two small kids. What do folks recommend for that? Highlander still a thing? Also what happens when the electric battery part of the phev goes to zero? Ie what if you can’t plug in for a week?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
We’re thinking about a phev as our second car/road trip vehicle because range anxiety, charging infrastructure, and two small kids. What do folks recommend for that? Highlander still a thing? Also what happens when the electric battery part of the phev goes to zero? Ie what if you can’t plug in for a week?
You are very unlikely to have range anxiety in a Tesla. Not just because of the number of locations, but the professional maintenance of the charging network. Tesla added a station a day in Q1. Not a charger a day, but a new location.

Realistically you are still going to want to take the Rivian when you are confident. So I would pick the next vehicle as what the daily driver of that car wants.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Personally, I think that for multi-vehicle families, you only need 1 "road trip" vehicle and the other vehicles are commuter/around-town vehicles.
I find it funny how people think they can tell others what they "need." We have a two career marriage and have needed to make intercity trips simultaneously on several occasions in the past year. So we are very happy with two Teslas and not having to worry about those times when we are both need to travel more than 100 miles from home for the day.

Sponsored

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
We’re a 2EV family: R1T and a Tesla model y long range (MYLR). Both have their charms and cons. You can’t beat the MYLR for ease of charging in trips. Hands down the Tesla is the more mature choice both hardware and software. I have adapters for both which makes it easy to change both at home and on the road.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
You are very unlikely to have range anxiety in a Tesla. Not just because of the number of locations, but the professional maintenance of the charging network. Tesla added a station a day in Q1. Not a charger a day, but a new location.

Realistically you are still going to want to take the Rivian when you are confident. So I would pick the next vehicle as what the daily driver of that car wants.
I appreciate your thoughts but a Tesla is not a possibility for us and we do prefer a PHEV to replace our hybrid right now.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

The Mach-E seems to be a *VERY* popular "second EV" for Rivian owners. I will say that the Mach-E software has gotten way better over the last few months. Doesn't have the benefit of the Supercharger network, but that is starting to roll out. That said, with current prices, Tesla is definitely a more competitive offering than it was even six months ago.
Not sure about "better". We sold ours in late February, and had the newest UI update for about a month as well. Even with rolling updates, it seems things are still very... meh... The screen resolution and UI performance alone were enough to make me sell and move on (for now). Ford needed to select better processing hardware for that vehicle - what they chose is too slow.

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
Have an R1T and a Ram 1500. I have always been a fill up at 1/2 tank, charge the phone at 50%, and turned off battery % in Rivian, so apparently I have some issues. 1st couple of months range anxiety hit me as watching battery drop was stupidly consuming and stressful. Fast fwd, going Thursday to drive R1S as we have one on order, but told I can swap for an R1T for almost instant gratification. Ram is getting sold to go all EV for wife and I. I figured if I want to road trip and just don't want to factor charging time into my trip, Hertz will hook me up with a gas vehicle and off we go.

Charging still hit and miss, but improving. On a side note, had a guy at E470 free charger taking his 4-day old Mach-E to 100%. Bad things happen being one of those people, and sure enough he couldn't get his car in gear. He spent entire time on Ford support while I was charging, pretty upset. Not sure if he got going, or went on the back of a tow truck? Don't piss off the charging gods, I stopped at 70% and drove off.

Matthuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5
We are a two EV household, Tesla MY Long Range and an Ioniq 5. When our R1S is available, we will most likely will give up the Tesla as my wife likes the seats in the Ioniq better. Both have their benefits and both have suited our family of 4 +dog just fine. We use one Grizzl-e charger and charge one over night and one during the day (I work from home). We just use the J1772 adapter for the Tesla charging and its a piece of cake. When we've gone on a road trip, we have taken the Tesla because it has a little more room with the front trunk and under storage in the rear, but the Ioniq has made plenty of +200 mile round trips without needing to stop.

Sponsored

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
We’ve been 2 EV family for 2 years, had 2 Mach Es and now 1 with R1T, charging at home for most with less than 30 min commute 1 charger/adapter and switch out charging every couple days. Wallbox, Tesla, juicebox do power sharing on one breaker.

Consider researching which trips you will take for our routes CCS is better than the supercharging network and teslas use an adapter on ccs chargers.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We've been an all-EV family since taking delivery of our R1S in November last year (the other car is a RWD Long Range Model 3 that I've had since 2018). The R1S is the daily family hauler and road tripper, and the Model 3 is for my work commute and some weekend driving. We've only taken the R1S on a couple of road trips so far - EA chargers have worked fine but looking forward to more RAN chargers for a more seamless experience (similar to the Tesla Supercharger).

In my experience, going all EV is no problem if you can Level 2 charge both vehicles to at least 70% every day/night at home and the typical daily use case for each vehicle is less than 150 miles. If you need more daily miles than that, you may need to charge above the recommended 70% cap for daily use in order to avoid range anxiety (or get a vehicle with a LFP battery pack so you don't have to worry about charging to 100% every day).

FWIW, I like my Model 3 and it "pairs" well with the R1S, but if I suddenly had to replace the Model 3, I'd be looking closely at the Ioniq 5.

We use a Tesla Wall Connector and a Rivian Wall Charger. Wish I had the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector for the Rivian instead of the Rivian Charger. The cable on the Tesla wall connectors is much thinner, making them a bit easier to handle. The Rivian Charger feels a little Stone Age by comparison.
We recently got an R1S as an refresh for my 19 yr old vehicle. Quite the upgrade.

Our other car is only ~14 years old, so we thought we had a few more years. A few shudders and some strange accelerations this week, and we're facing a major engine repair that will be expensive and take ~2 weeks.

Fate has a sense of humor, eh?

So < 2 months after getting a Rivian, we're contemplating buying another car. Not what we expected . . . things could be worse. We'd like to go all EV, though we thought we had a few years to consider all the new models coming out, how to accommodate a second charger in our garage, and save up a bit.

We're looking at the "usual suspects" of other EVs: Tesla (M3 or MY), VW id4, Ioniq 5, Kona, Bolt. The good news is that it now seems dealers have some in stock, rather than getting on a wait list.

For those that are > 1 EV car owners, what's your experience with Rivian plus another EV? Is having a Tesla helpful because of access to Superchargers, or a pain because of different home charging needs? (Or a bit of both?) Recommendations on a "good pairing" in terms of complimentary capabilities?

I should say that range is an important factor as this car supports work activities that can involve regular (but not necessarily daily) 200+ mile commutes.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions and advice!
[/QUOTE
We recently got an R1S as an refresh for my 19 yr old vehicle. Quite the upgrade.

Our other car is only ~14 years old, so we thought we had a few more years. A few shudders and some strange accelerations this week, and we're facing a major engine repair that will be expensive and take ~2 weeks.

So < 2 months after getting a Rivian, we're contemplating buying another car. Not what we expected . . . things could be worse. We'd like to go all EV, though we thought we had a few years to consider all the new models coming out, how to accommodate a second charger in our garage, and save up a bit.

We're looking at the "usual suspects" of other EVs: Tesla (M3 or MY), VW id4, Ioniq 5, Kona, Bolt. The good news is that it now seems dealers have some in stock, rather than getting on a wait list.

For those that are > 1 EV car owners, what's your experience with Rivian plus another EV? Is having a Tesla helpful because of access to Superchargers, or a pain because of different home charging needs? (Or a bit of both?) Recommendations on a "good pairing" in terms of complimentary capabilities?

I should say that range is an important factor as this car supports work activities that can involve regular (but not necessarily daily) 200+ mile commutes.

In some locations, especially far from cities, it pays to have both EV & ICE for safety/redundancy — at least for the foreseeable future.

pnwuser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T 2023 VW id.4
Clubs

We went from a 2 EV family, Tesla M3LR and MYLR, to a one EV and one ICE car. We kept the M3 and sold the MY as life changed and we needed something bigger. The ICE car sits in the driveway except for the occasional road trip. The M3 is a daily driver. Both my Wife and I cannot wait to get rid of the ICE car and take delivery of our R1S thereby going back to 2 EV's. We've taken the Teslas through 7 western states and 2 Canadian provinces with no significant issues. Great road trip cars. Having a Tesla M3 and Rivian R1S is about my ideal setup at least until the Porsche Cayman electric comes out. Then it will likely be R1S/Cayman EV as the Rivian should be able to do just about everything for the family. Fingers crossed... In my experience going back to ICE is generally difficult to do as EV's are just generally better to drive and own, lower maintenance costs, better performance, better tech etc. My two cents...

Last edited:

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt

We just finished a nice 1000 mile vacation road trip, thank God we're not all EV, what a pain that would have been. As usual our plugin hybrid worked like a champ and zero worries where to charge.

The event we went to, all the L2 charges were iced or taken. The L2 charges at the movies parking lot didn't work either. Most important, ten hours of driving of straight driving, the last thing I wanted was spending even more hours having to charge. In addition, I don't want charging stations dictate where we eat either.

If your want to go all EV then get a plugin hybrid, no worries or frustrations when roadtripping. We've put 120k ours most of that charging at work and home.

Last edited:

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’ve owned ten EVs. Been all EV for the last eleven years. So far the best EV aside from the Rivian had been the Volvo XC40 Recharge P8. Impeccable quality. Solid nav and voice assist. Faster than the Y and handles very well. Good rear cross traffic and blind spot assist.

Owned three Teslas and would not recommend.
Sponsored